XR600 Fork Position / Handling

4 replies to this topic
  • SteveJC

Posted December 13, 2004 - 02:58 AM

Hi all - can someone advise the correct position for a 98 XR600 forks - ie how much should stick out the top clamp.

After a bit of a rebuild project I guessed on the safe side with approx 5mm, but they were stuck through further than that originally.

First proper ride on it yesterday and compared to my XR650 it feels heavy and slow steering on the front - connected in any way ??!

• SteveJC

Posted December 14, 2004 - 01:56 PM

Please ??? !!!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted December 14, 2004 - 02:16 PM

The farther down the forks sit in the clamps, the more stable your bike will be at speeds, but at the expense of some steering response. The higher up the forks are in the clamps, the quicker your steering will be, but at the expense of higher speed stability. There's no right or wrong position and it's just another point of tuning the bike for your needs/application. If your steering feels too slow & heavy, then raise the forks up a few mm's more. It doesn't take a lot of movement to make a noticible difference in the feel / handling.

• SteveJC

Posted December 15, 2004 - 12:06 AM

OK thanks - the thing that concerns me is how far I can drop them before the tyre will touch the fender at full compression, hence my question. I will measure the gap and see if can work it out!

• SteveJC

Posted December 22, 2004 - 04:44 AM

Raised the forks by 5mm through the clamps last weekend, and what a difference! Bike feels really nice now off-road, and perhaps a little light and twitchy on-road but not enough to be a problem. Forks are sticking out the top approx 10mm now.

It does handle a little different to the 650 but kind of hard to put words to it without a back-to back test. It was very, very wet on the last ride but the front felt really nicely planted and predictable. And it must be said that its a lot easier to ride in the wet than the bigger bike, or at least when you want to go anything other than straight ahead at WFO!

But.....the power difference is very marked once you get a bit of traction under the back end.... Oh for one bike with two personalities on a switch :cry:

Related Content

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

1993 XR600R rebuild by ove

• Hot  40 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.