05 wr450 JD Jetting Install

5 replies to this topic
  • 450_James

Posted December 12, 2004 - 11:41 PM

Ok, for all of you 05'ers out there that are afraid to pull the trigger on the JD jet ket because you have to get into the carb. Here is a little report on my rejetting project.

Instructions were detailed enough to get through without a problem. More pictures would be the only thing better.

Parts quality looks to be great. Comes with four different sized main jets and two different needles with 6-7 different slots for height adjustment on each. One of the main jets was a duplicate of the stock 165 jet though.

I loosend the clamps and removed the hot start cable from the carb mostly because it's a plastic part and didn't want to stress it.

I was able to pull some extra slack on the throttle cable to pull the carb out to the left of the bike. Removed the top cover of the carb (two hex screws) and replaced the stock needle with the JD needle set for sea level for me (Palm Springs area) blue needle 4th notch from the top. There was a lock nut on the top of the needle that broke loose easily. Replaced the top cover.

Moved to the bottom of the carb and removed the large cap nut revealing the main jet. The stock jet was a 165. I replaced that with the reccomended 170.

Put it all back together. Removed the airbox snorkle, cut out the pre stamped holes on the right side of the air box, put in a new air filter, put in the ZipTy fuel mixture screw (a must) and gave her a kick.

Over all it took me about an hour as I was going slow because I'd never done it before. I could probably do the same thing now in less than 30 min.

The only problem I ran into was a Yamaha thing. The Phillips screw head that clamps the Airbox to the carb stripped out with very little force applied on my part. It was on very tight. I had to drill into the screw head and use a bolt remover bit to get it out. Went to the auto parts store and got a hex head bolt to replace it. The clamps on the engine side of the card were hex heads and I had no problem there.

A few questions.

There was a dab of lock tight stuff on the lock nut covering the needle. Do you need to put some more on? If so what kind?

Does the setup on the main jet and needle sound right? I ride at sea level mostly and head up to the mountains at around 4000-5000 feet sometimes.

Haven't had a chance to go out aside from up and down the street. But noteably the bike starts much better now. I let it sit over night, pulled the choke out gave it a kick and it started right up. Also the throttle responce is stronger. I was also able to adjust out that dead spot in the throttle with the new mixture screw.

Thanks all, my rambling is done for now. :cry:

450_James

• Boonie

Posted December 13, 2004 - 10:32 AM

Great info.....thanks. Does the JD jet kit include directions on how to unattach the carb and disassemble it as you described?

• mark2025

Posted December 13, 2004 - 11:13 AM

Great info.....thanks. Does the JD jet kit include directions on how to unattach the carb and disassemble it as you described?

The above directions are very accurate and should be all you need.

Basically you are just loosening the clamps on the carb (both sides), pulling the rubber boot from the airbox that connects to the carb, away and to the side and pulling the carb out.

I did not connect my hot start cable, just removed the cable tie and it had enough slack to pull the carb far enough away to work on it.

Also, there is a small cover over the hole (bottom of carb) where the air/fuel screw is. The cover is a silver plug with a tiny hole in the center. You need to find a j hook pick or something similar to get it out (it is just seated in there). Then you have access to the screw for adjustments noted in the JD kit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 450_James

Posted December 13, 2004 - 11:16 AM

Yes it does. It was a bit intimidating as I hadn't done it before but, as those that have done it will tell you, it's not that big a deal. I wouldn't even call it disassembling, just taking a couple cover plates off and back on the carb.

Also I didn't say above (as JD's instructions state) that you need to remove the seat and gas tank for access to the carb. Super easy.

• 450_James

Posted December 13, 2004 - 11:22 AM

No, it (JD kit) doesnt have directions on how to unattach the carb...but the above directions are very accurate and should be all you need.

Well Mark you are correct in that the instructions have a line or two that tell you to remove the clamps as you say. Not overly discriptive but adiquate.

Also, there is a small cover over the hole (bottom of carb) where the air/fuel screw is. The cover is a silver plug with a tiny hole in the center. You need to find a j hook pick or something similar to get it out (it is just seated in there). Then you have access to the screw for adjustments noted in the JD kit.

10-4 on this one. I drilled mine out (lightly and carefully) and it stuck to the drill tip.

• Texas4play

Posted December 13, 2004 - 02:55 PM

A few questions.

There was a dab of lock tight stuff on the lock nut covering the needle. Do you need to put some more on? If so what kind?

Does the setup on the main jet and needle sound right? I ride at sea level mostly and head up to the mountains at around 4000-5000 feet sometimes.
---------------------------------------------------

My location is about 500' asl and right now, below 70 degrees.
I ran the same setup as you 170m blue needle #4 and fuel mix 1 3/4 out.
You might have to lean it out up in the mountains (above 3000). The instructions give guilines for that.

I didn't use any lock-tite during my work either. I think it was blue series.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.