Any Mikuni experience with 650 R?

12 replies to this topic
  • Fingers

Posted December 12, 2004 - 09:15 PM

I have a 40mm Mikuni Flat Side carb I bought from XRsOnly for my 650 L a couple years back. Does anyone know if this carb will fit and funtion on the 650 R (my new bike). I'm trying to save spending $300+ for the edelbrock upgrade.

• qadsan

Posted December 12, 2004 - 09:17 PM

bwb63 can probably give you some good info on it.

• BWB63

Posted December 12, 2004 - 10:10 PM

I loved the Mikuni TM40!!!!! It is a great carburetor once your rejet for "this bike" and not use the jetting most of then come with. Tis Carburetor was made for the Harley and they just change the pilot and main jet for the first TM's setup for XR's. How opened up is your bike? With a header, open type muffler (R4), Uni, holes in the side air filter cover. 25 pilot, 1.2 air jet, Y-4 needle jet, 90JY1 needle. Pump set a little late. 137.5 main. Awesome smooth carburetor. I ran mine a little rich at 27 pilot and 140 main. This was lean when I went to the 680 motor I have now.

Lot's of the carburetors come with a Y-8 needle jet and a 8DHY4 needle or a Y-6 needle jet and a 9DJY1-4 needle if they are real old. You can go to a Harley shop and get the right Needle jet and needle. The air jet is real important for our bike go 1.1 or 1.2 for sure. It is at the bottom of the intake side of the Carburetor and it is real small hard to read the number off the side once you get it out.

My XR650R Web Site, Click Here: :cry:

• Fingers

Posted December 12, 2004 - 11:25 PM

Thanks I will take it apart and see what is in it!

• BWB63

Posted December 13, 2004 - 09:11 PM

Also, make sure the pump stream hits the needle. You can turn the pump nozle with a pair of needle nose pliers. I changed the top cap screws to allen head to make it easier to change the needle with the carbuetor still on the bike. That way I could use the allen wrench that you can use at an angle. I forgot the float adjustment and there is a little tap you grind off in the bowl on some of the TM40's to make the float work better. I'll look mine up and take pictures if I remember.

• XRMANU

Posted March 02, 2005 - 12:59 AM

I loved the Mikuni TM40!!!!! It is a great carburetor once your rejet for "this bike" and not use the jetting most of then come with. Tis Carburetor was made for the Harley and they just change the pilot and main jet for the first TM's setup for XR's. How opened up is your bike? With a header, open type muffler (R4), Uni, holes in the side air filter cover. 25 pilot, 1.2 air jet, Y-4 needle jet, 90JY1 needle. Pump set a little late. 137.5 main. Awesome smooth carburetor. I ran mine a little rich at 27 pilot and 140 main. This was lean when I went to the 680 motor I have now.

Lot's of the carburetors come with a Y-8 needle jet and a 8DHY4 needle or a Y-6 needle jet and a 9DJY1-4 needle if they are real old. You can go to a Harley shop and get the right Needle jet and needle. The air jet is real important for our bike go 1.1 or 1.2 for sure. It is at the bottom of the intake side of the Carburetor and it is real small hard to read the number off the side once you get it out.

My XR650R Web Site, Click Here: :)

I did a search for a 90JY1 needle in the Sudco catalog, I don't find it,there is a 9DJY1 needle,but you say it's an older/wrong type of needle.

Is there any dealer/on line store in the US where I can get Mikuni parts fast?I send several emails to Sudco for ordering and tech support but no answer :) I also need some needles for a TM36 (XR400),my 400 is standing stil for 3 months now because i can't get the correct needle . :p :D

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XRMANU

Posted March 02, 2005 - 01:00 AM

...and there is a little tap you grind off in the bowl on some of the TM40's to make the float work better. I'll look mine up and take pictures if I remember.

Can you tell me more? :)

• BWB63

Posted March 02, 2005 - 08:43 PM

That might be a 9DJY01

I still need to dig out the carb. and open it up and take pictures.

• XRMANU

Posted March 03, 2005 - 04:32 AM

That would be very nice,thx :)
Please ,double-check needle type :)

Anyone a good Mikuni dealer ? :D :p

• XRMANU

Posted March 17, 2005 - 06:33 AM

That might be a 9DJY01

Any update? :)

• cafecb750

Posted March 22, 2005 - 08:41 PM

Hi my name is Thomas Fitzgerald. I have an 03 XR650r converted into a supermotard.
I recently came across your web sight www.borynack.com & have found it to be a very useful resource. I have a question for you that pertains to the TM 40 carburetor I recently installed. My problem is this, whenever I open the throttle quickly it bogs really bad, this happens when shifting in all gears. I have to shift very smooth and apply the throttle slowly or the motor falls on its face, kind of feels like it gets to much gas or not enough? this only happens when I’m opening the throttle fast , as soon as it bogs the power picks right back up. It runs great at full throttle starts fine to. I bought it from XR’s Only & installed it using the jetting it came with. I called them and them and they said it should run fine the way the bike is set up. I have it uncorked, full white BROS. E series exhaust and drilled air box cover. I have worked with my friend many times to fix this problem but no luck. I thought I’d ask you because you seem to be a VERY knowledgeable about the XR 650. Maybe you could recommend some jetting settings and other advice that might fix this problem. I live in Los Angeles
Thanks for your help, & thanks for the great web sight I recommend it to every one I meet with an XR650

T. Fitzgerald

tacf8@msn.com

• XRMANU

Posted March 23, 2005 - 01:57 AM

Try to drop the needle (leaner) on your TM40. I have the same thing with a Mikuni TM36 on my XR400 enduro bike.I dropped the needle to the leanest position.I can ride the 400 now but it's not perfect.I waiting for a leaner needle.The TM40 also needs a leaner needle (still waiting for some pics :) ).Al so try different pumper timings.Give a little gap between the pumper rod and the actuator.

• XRMANU

Posted March 23, 2005 - 02:10 AM

basic Mikuni carb tuning:

http://www.mikuni.co...ning_guide.html

and check for airleaks: http://www.thumperta...40&parentpage=4

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  171 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.