Anyone seen this before???

4 replies to this topic
  • L8TBRKR

Posted December 12, 2004 - 08:46 PM

I found this on eBay. Haven't read about it here though. Anyone have experience with this. Not sure how you can restrict the exhaust flow and not have the power and/or torque suffer somewhere in the power curve!!!

Torque Stuffer???

• MadDawg

Posted December 12, 2004 - 09:13 PM

I have seen that before and I discount it as a gimmick. One of those "As seen on TV" type gadgits. It probably does work but only with the stock exhaust and may or may not produce 1.5 ponies, how are you going to contest it without a dyno run? Besides, more horsepower can be had from an aftermarket exhaust setup and you would have to dump that lil part with your stock exhaust anyways. :cry:
Just an interesting note: (I will post the photo in my profile) I wiped out hardcore on the dunes in October and bent my header (white bros titanium) unbeknownst to me until I got back to my truck for a break. Right after I had wiped out, I recovered, and decided I hadn't broken anything and would continue riding. I jumped back on my bike, cranked her over and rolled down the dune I was on. The next dune I climbed I noticed an increase in torque, a serious increase from just off idle to about mid throttle. I thought it was strange but discounted it as having knocked the cobwebs out of the bike somewhere. :cry: Well, I got back to the truck, shut her down and noticed smoke, looked down and discovered that I had knocked the holy beejesus out of my header (smashed about halfway flat) and it was against my coolant hose burning it. I then proceeded to pull the exhaust and header off and beat it a little back into shape as well as metal tape my now leaking coolant hose. I only beat it enough to get it off the coolant hose and even tho it looks ugly, I gained noticeable torque out of the deal (like I didn't have enough as it was). Why this is I can't explain because I have full faith in White Bros. and the extensive testing they have done to those pipes. Maybe it is a fluke and just happened to be what my motley mix of exhaust components needed (I have a powercore 4 full race muffler and midpipe), who knows. Make sure you take a look at it, it is SQUASHED! :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jerryls

Posted December 12, 2004 - 09:31 PM

I have seen that before and I discount it as a gimmick.

You call a device that restricts airflow into the header a gimmick, and then go on to explain that restricting the header's airflow on your bike increased performance. Aren't they both the doing the same thing?

I know a couple guys with KTM's and XR's that use a similar device, but its called a "torque vane." They all claim it helps.

• MadDawg

Posted December 13, 2004 - 06:45 AM

It's a gimmick, why spend $30 now for something that won't really help out in the long run. Put that money towards a good aftermarket exhaust that makes 3-5+hp more and looks good too. The topic just reminded me of what happened to my bike which I can assure you, was purely accidental, being a $300+ header. :cry:

• RADRick

Posted December 13, 2004 - 11:08 AM

I found this on eBay. Haven't read about it here though. Anyone have experience with this. Not sure how you can restrict the exhaust flow and not have the power and/or torque suffer somewhere in the power curve!!!

Torque Stuffer???

Anti-reversion cones are nothing new. They do not restrict exhaust flow, rather they inhibit the reverse pulse that interferes with proper cylinder scavenging. Aggressive cam profiles and overlap can exacerbate the problem and the cones can help limit this. Many aftermarket street exhaust manufacturers already incorporate anti-reversion cone technology into their systems. If this eBay vendor wasn't charging a ridiculous shipping amount I might have recommended it.

RADRick
www.mcjournalist.com

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.