20" front and 18" rear rims....?

11 replies to this topic
  • Idaho_Wolverine

Posted December 12, 2004 - 08:40 PM

I recently saw a YZ450F with 20" front and 18" rear rims.
What would the benifits to that be?
I did not get to ride it, but I am a bit curious.

• Neville1

Posted December 12, 2004 - 08:54 PM

I just saw this in a DirtBike article. The thinking is that MORE sidewall will prevent flats. That's about it. Lots of older bikes used to run 17's on the back.

• The Way Out

Posted December 13, 2004 - 05:21 PM

To change the subject-Where do you live?

I live in I.F. and judging by your screen name, I assume you live close to me.

• Idaho_Wolverine

Posted December 13, 2004 - 08:14 PM

Mtn. Home, dude.

Is there any good ridding over there?

The track here in town is closed until spring and today was perfect!!

Had to have been 50 atleast!

The 03 YZ450F with the 20/18 inch set up was at the dealer here in town on consignment so he does not know if that is better than the 21/19 set up on my 03 450F

• yzf450jack

Posted December 13, 2004 - 08:40 PM

I run 20/18 on my yz :D Four strokes steer with the front and 2 smokes turn with the rear. The 20 has more bite for turning and more rubber for no pinch flats with lower air psi :cry: and go's threw the rocks great :lol: and for the rear i hate changing a 19 tire :cry: :cry: :lol: The 18 rides smoother :cry: and less pinch flats threw rocks and other things sticking out of the mountain :D After all that i don't MX 21/19 is for MXing I am in the woods, rocks, ruts,roots, mountains, snow :cry:

• Idaho_Wolverine

Posted December 13, 2004 - 08:47 PM

Thanks Jack. I dont get in the woods much, so I guess I should just ride more and worry less!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Satch0922

Posted December 14, 2004 - 09:36 AM

I run 20/18 on my yz :cry: Four strokes steer with the front and 2 smokes turn with the rear. The 20 has more bite for turning and more rubber for no pinch flats with lower air psi :lol: and go's threw the rocks great :cry: and for the rear i hate changing a 19 tire :D :cry: :lol: The 18 rides smoother :cry: and less pinch flats threw rocks and other things sticking out of the mountain :D After all that i don't MX 21/19 is for MXing I am in the woods, rocks, ruts,roots, mountains, snow :cry:

Good info for those who use their bikes in the woods!!!

• Pothole

Posted December 14, 2004 - 09:45 AM

the 20"/18" combo is a Ty Davis special. Not many guys are faster than him in the off road racing scene. The lack of tire choices are an issue with that setup however.

• yzf450jack

Posted December 14, 2004 - 07:48 PM

Ty davis has a super deal on 20'' front tires M67 Bridgestone $19.00 i picked up 2 $52.00 +shipping :cry:

• BC3

Posted December 14, 2004 - 08:10 PM

I remember when the B-50 MX BSA hit the shores it had a 20 front 18 rear....Was one of
the best turning bikes I ever had....rubber was kinda hard to find but sure did turn
good..

• The Way Out

Posted December 15, 2004 - 03:58 AM

Mtn. Home, dude.

Is there any good ridding over there?

The track here in town is closed until spring and today was perfect!!

Had to have been 50 atleast!

The 03 YZ450F with the 20/18 inch set up was at the dealer here in town on consignment so he does not know if that is better than the 21/19 set up on my 03 450F

Not as close as I thought. We have a Wolverine Mountain over here so I assumed that was where you got your screen name. I lived in M.H. back in the late 70's/early 80's. Used to eat at a barbecue place owned by the Birchfields. Can't recall the name.

I put my bikes away in Oct when it started getting cold so I could work on snowmachines. We have mostly mountain riding around here, so even at 40 degrees in town, I would suspect it would be much colder in the mountains and wet. Nice part is if you like mountain riding, we have a couple hundred miles of maintained trails within 30 minutes of my house and they are all public land.

• Idaho_Wolverine

Posted December 15, 2004 - 07:46 PM

Way out, sounds like good ridding. I am from Michigan and that is where Wolverine comes from. My Idaho plate on my truck says "WOLVREN" and you would not believe how many people here just dont get it.
I tell them read it like WOLV-R- EN because we only get 7 letters and that is as close as I can get.

As for the 20/18 set up gos, I dont believe I will need that now. I try to stay away from rocks and sharp things.

Take care all!

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.