Enduro's/Hare Scrambles

6 replies to this topic

Posted December 12, 2004 - 08:29 PM

Never competed at these before. What are the essentials for the bike and rider? Thinking of competing next year and would like to make sure I have everything that I need. Any feedback would be appreciated.

• endurodog

Posted December 12, 2004 - 09:49 PM

Handguards, skid plate, heavy duty tubes will get you started with the bike. If your doing time keeper enduros you will need some sort of time keeping. The basics for this is a wrist watch and a roll chart holder to hold the roll chart you buy at the race. Most enduro racers will get a enduro computer. I use an ICO but have heard that the Watch Dog works good and is a little cheaper.

Then for you a fanny pack with the usual tools and a water system of some sort, like a Camel Bak. It's nice to have some sort of riding jacket if the weather is not the best. Then all your normal riding gear also.

• loozer

Posted December 19, 2004 - 04:56 AM

I bought an '04 WR450F during June '04, and jumped into the old fart C class.
The first Enduro was brutal............but more and more riding smoothed out
the get offs and related f-ups.
A Camelbak is a needed accessory, 70 oz.
Tool kit, which will get a flat changed.
Some blue loctite, to keep them nuts from backing off.
Loosen your clutch perch, so 'nuttin' breaks (clutch perch)
Small 1st aid kit.
A spare front tube doesn't hurt.
And line up with another C class rider,and stick with him, to learn the Enduro ropes.
The WR450 is heavy in the single track....... but it shines in the wide open!
Loozer............... currently @ -15F UffDaa

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Treebark

Posted December 19, 2004 - 08:24 PM

In my opinion enduro's are a lot funner than harescrambles because it allows for some relax time. I would suggest putting on a skid plate, hanguards, and most important radiator guards for those misjudged entries between trees.
Things to bring with you on the trail would be a Front tube which will also fit in the rear, tire patch kit for the chance of pinching the tube, tire pump, all the required tools to remove the wheels, zip ties and duct tape to reattach various parts the may fly off, small hose clamps for hoses and shifter repairs and the most common tools to disassemble bike. This may seem like alot but does come in handy if needed, waiting for the sweeper to get you out can take the rest of the day. My pack probably weighs 5-8lbs and have gotten use to it. I learned my lesson having to ride my bike 5 or so miles back to staging area on front flat. Take as much water with you that you can possibly can. I have a 100 OZ and always run out before it's over. All beginners should start in the C class which do the short course (45-55 miles). Now the time keeping is a little tough with out a enduro comp. I use a clock purchased from Walmart automotive section with 1" numbers easy to see while in motion, and the factory odo that came with the bike. I do all the calculations in my head and usually can get a rough idea where I stand. When you first start doing enduro's timekeeping is not that much of a big deal. Most people are late into the check points and would suggest to ride as hard as you can and not worry about keeping accurate time rather see if you can get an idea of what's going on and finish the course.

You need all the same protective equipment as with enduro's.
I don't take anything with me other than water. I really should take at least flat repair items but don't want that extra weight. The course is usually a 10-15 mile loop and you will be required to run as fast as you can without stopping for 2 hours.

The enduro's are more of a steady pace and you can stop for a little while during the resets because they give you free time between check points. Enduro's also only have 5 rider's taking off every minute intervals where the harescrambles every one in each class take off at every minute interval.
Harescrambles are an all out race to see who can do the most laps in the least amount of time. They are both fun. Good luck :cry:

Posted December 19, 2004 - 10:07 PM

10-15 mile HS loops? Man you need to come out west, where they are 55 mile loops :cry:

The key word is ENDURo. Endurance will win you races. Get in shape and stay hydrated.

• YamahaSteve

Posted December 19, 2004 - 11:12 PM

Hey CISCO, do you run any MRANN races?? I see you are in Foresthill area, pretty close to Nevada... 55 mile loop, then do it twice, LOL.... :cry:

• mcdrz

Posted December 20, 2004 - 09:14 AM

Hare Scrambles: The best advice is to bring the proper attitude with you. Few people realize how physically grueling these events truly are. The biggest mistake most people make is setting out with their hair on fire and then falling off dramatically after 30 minutes to 1 hour. This is very damaging to the fragile ego and also can get dangerous as you start to make stupid mistakes.

Do some good fast rides beforehand and have a mental pace goal. I have accepted that it is easier to start off slower than I initially want to because I can always pick up the pace later. Once you drop the pace it is almost impossible to get it back due to physical and mental exhaustion.

To me (an old guy amatuer) this method is self affirming as you will start to pass all the guys that set out on fire and have bonked, therefore continually encouraging you when you need it most. THIS IS NOT THE BEST METHOD FOR WINNING. This method will encourage you to continue to compete, improve, and push yourself and will encourage a healthy mental outlook. (This encourages an attitude that you can continue to improve rather than "I just have to survive attitude" that occurs for the last hour of the race and until the next race after you bonk)

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.