Anti-Seize on Spark Plug

9 replies to this topic
  • RedNik

Posted December 12, 2004 - 08:30 AM

I just recently picked up a nice 96 XR600. Big Bore, Mikuni Flatslide, Baja Designs duel sport. Any way, I've been taking care of some maintenance and every time I take a fastener off, I put it back on with anti-seize. I finally got the spark plug out to replace it and was wondering if any one uses anti-seize on their plug? Maybe just the top 2/3 of the threads. What do you think?
BTW, this bike Rocks!

• roadcam

Posted December 12, 2004 - 10:27 AM

the spark plug is probably the most important spot in your engine to use anti-seize ... ALWAYS use anti-seize when threading steel into aluminum ..

• PowerCell

Posted December 12, 2004 - 11:08 AM

Anti-seize on the spark plug can change it's themal characteristics, and even lead to electrode destruction. Make certain you use a compond that's specifically intended for spark plug use.

~ Ken

• HeadTrauma

Posted December 12, 2004 - 11:04 PM

I put antisieze on my plugs too. I just use Permatex brand and havent had problems with the sparkplugs on my current bike, my previous bike, my car both with iron and aluminum heads, and my parents' cars. I find that it largely dries up or disappears except for the metal powder in it.

If I dont use anti-sieze, I use bearing grease, oil, WD-40, anything to make it thead in easier.

• frankstr

Posted December 13, 2004 - 05:14 AM

I always use neversieze on anny sparkplug going into a aluminum head :cry: :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bluestragler

Posted December 13, 2004 - 06:53 AM

I have always used some sort of lubricant on the spark plug, and never experienced any problem.

• MotoChris521

Posted December 13, 2004 - 07:07 AM

It's a must use on that motor.When washing the bike water collects in the plug well and unless you run the bike every time you wash it ,it will corode the plug.

• zx7rye

Posted December 13, 2004 - 07:32 AM

I have wondered why Honda would not place a boot on the plug wire to restrict water from entering the plug inlet. Makes no sense, but does seem as if something could be fabbed up and placed in there to prevent water from entering.

• qadsan

Posted December 13, 2004 - 08:37 AM

If I use any anti-seize on a spark plug (some plug types don't need it), I use it very sparingly and only on a couple of the inside threads. It's also important to be more careful about torquing down the spark plug since anti-seize reduces the friction.

• RedNik

Posted December 13, 2004 - 05:07 PM

Thanks for the input.
I checked out the Permatex web site and it seems all of their automotive
Anti-seize lubricants are OK on spark plugs.
Thanks again,
Nick

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.