Radiators?

7 replies to this topic
  • greg-wr400

Posted December 12, 2004 - 06:45 AM

Anyone got a less expensive alternative to replace a radiator than stock yamaha? Mine is a little mashed on the right side and I'm wondering if this is why my bike is really hot when idling around tight trails. Suggestions? goin ridin' now. g

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted December 12, 2004 - 06:52 AM

Send your radiator to Myler's Radiator. (Google the name and you will find them on the web.) I sent my smashed-up radiator to them and it was good as new for $50. They do what they advertise on their website.

• MadDawg

Posted December 12, 2004 - 11:14 AM

Good info, I hope I never need em but it is prolly just a matter of time here even with my Devol guards. (files away for future use) :cry:

• firezwr426

Posted December 12, 2004 - 02:22 PM

people part out wr's and yzf's all of the time on ebay.. the radiators usually go for a lot cheaper than you can buy them from your local yamaha stealer..

also,you should use disstilled water in your mix.....

I have thought about a small electric fan on a toggle switch but I don't know if the stator could handle it, or how to even wire it for that matter.. the cooling systems on these bikes are only sufficient when you are moving and air is forced into the rads.. :cry: never let your bike idle for a long time :cry: especially when its hot out. this will overheat you faster than anything....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • greg-wr400

Posted December 12, 2004 - 05:36 PM

thanks for the info. g :cry:

• dirtr1der

Posted December 15, 2004 - 05:51 PM

I bought my bike with one whole vein missing from my radiator. The hole couldn't be fixed so the guy removed the fin and JB welded the thing. Real clean job and it pressure tested perfect. I put 700 miles on it this summer on the trails without a problem. I thought I would need to replace it, but it never leaked nor overheated.

If yours is smashed and the fins can't dissipate the heat, it probably just needs a little TLC. As long as its not leaking/losing pressure, just get it re-conditioned. Follow that link from earlier in this thread.

I run that blue ice also.

:cry:

• TallBoysWRF

Posted December 17, 2004 - 06:38 PM

people part out wr's and yzf's all of the time on ebay.. the radiators usually go for a lot cheaper than you can buy them from your local yamaha stealer..

also,you should use disstilled water in your mix.....

I have thought about a small electric fan on a toggle switch but I don't know if the stator could handle it, or how to even wire it for that matter.. the cooling systems on these bikes are only sufficient when you are moving and air is forced into the rads.. :cry: never let your bike idle for a long time :cry: especially when its hot out. this will overheat you faster than anything....

A tip if you need to run the bike for a while with it on a stand is to fix the garden hose so that the water runs through the right radiator. This will allow you to run the motor indefinately. I over heated my bike once, did this and it cooled down very rapidly and stayed cool.

• thumpinTed

Posted December 18, 2004 - 06:52 PM

I did a Tempature test on my Wr cooling system since I did it for a living for GM truck group proving ground. The radiators perform similar to a cars at speed and warm up quickly at Idle. Comming to a stop after a 60 mph sustained speed for 2 miles the rad in temp went from 135F to 177F in under 1 min. The lack of a thermostat is cause for rapid temp swings. I did notice the temp stabilize at idle 200F when the bike is pointed towards the relative wind. With no wind the temps climed to the point where I thought there is no use to continue at 255F so dumped the clutch and accelerated through gears at half tthrottle until it went down below 200F and then dropped the hammer, in under a mile I was back to 135F. My overflow tank level stayed the same.AIRFLOW is key.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.