Piston problem,Need help please

7 replies to this topic
  • panosyz400f

Posted December 12, 2004 - 02:45 AM

I bought my YZ400f 3 months ago and i'm replacing the piston rings on a STD piston.
I do not know if the piston that is on the bike at the moment is the OEM or an aftermarket one.
How can i tell?
Is there some kind of a code on the OEM?
Do the OEM rings fit on any piston(aftermarket)?
Bore= 92.0mm.
Piston=91.5mm
I will appreciate Any help.
Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted December 12, 2004 - 05:36 PM

Most AM pistons for 4-strokes are set up to use the same ring sets as the OEM, but not necessarily all. Compare the cross sections of the rings and see if they appear to be the same type as your replacements.

Most Yamaha parts large enough to bear one will have at least a partial part number on them. Often this will be a 3 digit string consisting of a number and 2 letters, like 5TA which will be specific to the model of engine. For example, 5TA is for an '03/'04 450, 5NL for an '01/'02 250F. It won't follow along exactly because some parts interchange across years and multiple models, but if a number like that appears under the piston crown, odds are it's a stocker.

• BC3

Posted December 12, 2004 - 05:54 PM

I would find it kinda strange that someone went to all the trouble to replace their piston and used a OEM piston and keep the bore STD.....

• panosyz400f

Posted December 12, 2004 - 11:14 PM

actually the only thing that is writen under the crown is the number "3"
Any idias?
thanks any ways

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yz007f

Posted December 14, 2004 - 04:51 PM

Your oem piston will have the stampings like greyracer513 said. I'm the bottom of my old oem piston from my 03' it's stamped 5TA Y5. So if it doesn't have the stampings on it somewhat close to that then I would say its not a oem piston.

• MrMotorhed

Posted January 12, 2005 - 04:32 PM

who cares if it's a stock piston. measure the cylinder and put the right piston in. pistons come with rings unless it's a yamaha piston and if it is just get the rings too.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted January 12, 2005 - 10:12 PM

The original piston out of my 01 426 says "5NG Y1" so if it dosn't say something like that i guess its aftermarket, hth.

Steve.

• blue_beast_wins

Posted January 12, 2005 - 10:16 PM

Woops, i'm a dumb ass, i agree with yz007f

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.