Just Joined the Ranks!

5 replies to this topic
  • HooliKen

Posted December 11, 2004 - 08:14 PM

I have been a dedicated 2 Smoke rider for many years and finally decided to check out the other side. I sold my 1991 KX500 (heavily modified and a true beast) last week and just today traded my 2002 CR250R straight up for this 2001 XR650R.
Posted Image

I only got to ride for about 30 minutes today (the wee one just had to see the Sponge Bob movie..............again). But I am absolutely impressed with this bike. Once moving she did not feel as heavy as her spec sheet implies and even slow speed stuff was easy. :cry: The instant torque is something I am not used to and was having a blast doing third gear wheelies down my neighbors mile long driveway. Not that the KX wouldn't do it, it's just a completely different feeling on the big XR.
I plan on doing a DS conversion and possbily picking up a quick change SuperMoto kit in the spring. I generally handle all my own work short or shock rebuilds and machine shop stuff so I will most likely be asking plenty of questions if I get stuck. I have lurkey around this forum for awhile and noticed that there are many knowledgable folks on here. :cry:

If anyone on here is from VA or has done a DS conversion on the BRP here I would love some pointers on where to buy the required gear and any other pointers you may have.

I look forward to learning as much as possible, riding as much as possible with possibly a little bullchittin thrown in for good measure.

Peace Ken

Here is a link to some other pics of the bike. It came with Renthals (CR Bend), Uncorked (exhaust and intake), jetted, Devol radiator quards and Enduro engineering handquards.
BRP Pics

• savageracing

Posted December 11, 2004 - 08:33 PM

check out bajadesigns.com they have some conv. kits
www.bajadesigns.com

• BWB63

Posted December 11, 2004 - 08:44 PM

This is gooooood reading about the bike!
XR650R Pig Pen Click Here :cry:

This site is cool also...lot's of links and setup stuff:
XR650R Web Site for making the most out of the Pig! Click Here: :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • AzMtnThumper

Posted December 11, 2004 - 09:27 PM

Looks like a nice bike. Welcome aboard.

• smashinz2002

Posted December 11, 2004 - 10:00 PM

Welcome dude! I think you're really going to enjoy your 650R. I've had mine since May of '00. It's been a great bike, very reliable and tons of power. A couple of things you can do to boost the torque a little bit, is to drill the airbox, jet it to 180 on the main, modify the hrc exhaust tip by cutting off it's internal baffle cap and spark arrestor screen, and run a fuel mixture of 60/40 or 50/50 super-unleaded to avgas 100LL. You'll get noticeably more low-end and mid-range snap when you pull the trigger. And of course that's what these big open-class bikes are all about, power! I mean I don't know anyone who rides an XR650R because they want smooth and mellow power.
I also have a KX500 which I think totally rocks and I love that bike too, it has a pro circuit pipe and vforce reeds, and I don't have to explain what the power is like, since I'm sure you already know they are totally insane!

• scorch

Posted December 15, 2004 - 06:59 PM

damm, nice bike. You know I got one right ken? And mine is dual sported as well.

www.bajadesigns.com has everything you need.

You riding this sunday in the dirt? Bring that porker on out.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.