Edelbrock Carb problems again

126 replies to this topic
  • bork

Posted May 31, 2006 - 08:56 PM

Is my XR600r a different QS carb? Mine has never done the sticky lean thing. It does have the enrichening valve on side & was updated to pumper model/bowl.

• sorenlaf

Posted June 01, 2006 - 07:20 AM

After that, I’m running the bowl empty when I’m done riding for the day.

I do that pretty much every time I ride a dirtbike - unfortunately, that means I don't ride dirtbikes enough, since I worry about the gas gumming up the carb.

I either shut off fuel and run it dry or lay the bike on it's side for 30 seconds or so before putting it on the truck.

• dale

Posted June 10, 2006 - 02:02 PM

I do that pretty much every time I ride a dirtbike - unfortunately, that means I don't ride dirtbikes enough, since I worry about the gas gumming up the carb.

I either shut off fuel and run it dry or lay the bike on it's side for 30 seconds or so before putting it on the truck.

I've had the E carb on my XR400 for a year without the sticking problem, but I really wish it had a drain screw like the stock carb had. I normally wash, ride around to dry everything out, then drain the bowl (stock carb).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dale

Posted July 07, 2006 - 02:23 PM

I've had the E carb on my XR400 for a year without the sticking problem, but I really wish it had a drain screw like the stock carb had. I normally wash, ride around to dry everything out, then drain the bowl (stock carb).

I shouldn't have said that. In 3 weeks, my float has stuck shut, , then the pumper won't work, then the float stuck open. :ride:

• Fingers

Posted July 07, 2006 - 11:05 PM

I'd like to roll in here and say that in the 1 1/2 years I've been running this carb I've had zero problems even though I have never cleaned it and have tempted fate by leaving gas sitting in it for over 3 months during periods I could (or would) not ride. Sometimes the unfortunate problems a few have can cause an unfortunate reputation for a product. I am not saying that the float design is ideal, or that a few people have not had problems, but I do believe it is the exception and not the norm. I have added alot of mods to my bike and this one is still the one I would do first.
XR-650R DK (street legal from factory)
Edelbrock Quicksilver
Rekluse Autoclutch
RTT Stabilizer
Rick Stator 200 Watt
BD 12v reg + Battery
RaceTech Gold valves in forks
Dirt Bagz
sheepskin seat cover

• KASUYAHO

Posted July 08, 2006 - 05:17 AM

You are the only person i know of who gets better fuel economy with the Keihin vs. the Edelbrock. I cant help but think its an issue with the way its set up.

respectfully,
Mike

I know a few to who get better fuel econamy with the stocker over the pumper.
The biggest problem with the stocker is the float level, half the time fuel is running out the over flow tube when your riding the bike.
Ya just have top set the stocker up right and no problemo.
If one would want the motor to be more responsive like a pumper carbed motor there are other mods to do that and keep the stocker with out the realiablity issues it has.

• dale

Posted July 08, 2006 - 02:56 PM

I'd like to roll in here and say that in the 1 1/2 years I've been running this carb I've had zero problems

:ride: Maybe you missed my last 2 post. I went 1 year with zero problems, then the carb failed 3 times in 1 month.
When your bike has a $400 carb and won't run you don't really care if you're the exception.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 8 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.