Edelbrock Carb problems again

126 replies to this topic
  • BWB63

Posted December 17, 2004 - 01:10 PM

You won't catch me with a stock carb. on my bike. What a joke. It works and it works good for the guy that should have bought a "L" or the fireroad cruiser. The stock carburetor can just kill you if you need it all right now coming out of a squared wash. It's just not a race carburetor. So, those that deffend it I write off as casual riders, can't/won't pay the money for something else or are riding for Honda.

I had the Mikuni TM40 and it's great but, not for those that don't know how to adjust a carburetor. I got the Edelbrock on Barnum pushing and it rips! Easy to tune and works 1000% better then stock! In every way even if it gets stuck every four months. I think Edelborck sould look into fixing the valve for the those that have trouble. Like I said, mine didn't work right there at the Edelbrock plant. They have been having broblems with it. The lady that does the flow test even said so. It's a problem that can't be seen on paper by the designers or has something to do with a few valves on the edge of the tolerance side of things. I think it's from a valve that was sat to long or something weird like that. It would be hard for me to think it would stick if the needle was changed to S/S but, I don't know anything about it yet from the fact that mine didn't work right off the bat. Took it apart cleened it and it stuck open. It took the better part of a hour to get the thing to work with the Edelbrock shop working on it to get it going. I would buy one again and think that Edelbrock is so awesome that when they get a fix they will be happy to retro mine for free! They are a great company and have a little hick-up with the valve. There is a difference between them and a company that puts out garbage like Wok Connection radiator guards, now there is a peice of junk for the money. Now I do think that it would be funny if Mike Kay gets stuck in the middle of that huge Cat litter box with a stuck float valve :cry: :cry: Will we hear about it? Will he say it got me? I don't think he will;,.. that would be sooooooo funny;, we could all have a great time at his expense! Irondude would have to step in and clean up shop for him. I agree with Mike Kay about the Carburetor being great and agree that the valve has a problem. I also like a good fight so, have at it this is fun :cry:

• budinsac

Posted December 17, 2004 - 01:10 PM

I currently have an Edelbrock carb on order with Barnums for my Xr650L(actually it will be an XR600r carb with an adapter) and have no intention of canceling. I do find this thread interesting only from a problem-solving standpoint. I took a look at the pictures of the needle and seat, and was curious about the slots in the side of the needle seat. Do they all have these slot and why???. My thought is that without the slots, the fuel would pass by the needle, flushing any minor build up and provide some lubrication. Since the needle sits horizontally, and depending on how the slot sits when installed, it's possible that the needle could remain dry while in certain operating conditions causing it to drag and stick.

Bud

• RingKingPin

Posted December 17, 2004 - 01:11 PM

Some of you guys are freaking out! :cry: Stay cool :cry: FYI My buddy had the EXACT same problem on his stock carb on a 93 xr600. We were at the silver lake sand dunes in Michigan when he started to experience it. After a little heeing and hawing I noticed what it was. There was a little galling going on in there or at least there were scratch marks. I took the needle out and luckily I had a little emory cloth in the tool box. I polished it up a little and tried to polish the female end and all was good. I'm wondering if it actaully was / is galling or if maybe some dirt or sand scratched the sides which made it get hung up. We never had a problem with it again.
Pammy, if your still following this post, don't second guess your christmas gift of a QS carb for you hubby. He'll love it. I really like the way the carb has performed on my bike for the past three years and beat the hell outta my bike and it has a lot of miles on it. I did have a pumper assembly break on my but that was simply because I had a sand box inside that part of the carb. Again stay cool people! :cry: :cry:

• BWB63

Posted December 17, 2004 - 01:35 PM

The slots are for fuel flow, they were holes at one time.

• ThunderChicken

Posted December 17, 2004 - 01:52 PM

Oh man. I just bought one for my husband's bike for Christmas.

Its bad enough when he drops it and can't start it. It would suck to have it just die. I've only read good things about them in online article reviews.

But I've aleady ordered it and its on its way. Maybe I shouldn't have jumped the gun so fast on that one. Live and learn I guess.

Take the pumper carb back, rejet the stock carb to the HRC specs, and get him a gym membership.

Send that aftermarket skid plate back while you're at it. All it's gonna do is make oil changes a PITA and create more engine noise.

From one "casual rider" to another.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted December 17, 2004 - 01:54 PM

The slots are for fuel flow, they were holes at one time.

This is true. I took the fuel bowl off the carb when this problem started. I noticed the needle stayed closed even though the float was free. I pushed the needle loose and then hooked a fuel line up to the bowl. I turned the fuel on and it spurted out of the slots rather forcefully filling the bowl until the float raised and shut it off. It was really interesting watching how well it works when the needle doesn't stick. In fact the force was of such a nature that I still can't figure out how the needle is able to stick. :cry:

• BWB63

Posted December 17, 2004 - 01:56 PM

Is lemming spelled with one m or two?

Its like finding a spider in your houseplant and so ya plow up the front lawn...

:cry:

There is soooooo much good stuff in Mikes one post it will take me days to catch it all! Come on guys it's not personal :cry: It's just fun! I think IronDude stole Mike Kays name. Mike, did you mean blow up the front yard??? :lol: That sounds like me....take the plant out into the front yard to kill the spider and be left with a crator! :cry: :D

In school they would show all those lemmings running off the cliff, I don't think many know what they are anymore.

I hope you all tune into Mikes Dakar effort like you are on this thread! Mike don't get to tired to send us blow by blow of the race! :cry: and if your needle gets stuck let us know it sure seem like a sure bet to get everone to fallow you racing :cry:

There is one point that Mike is making that I think was missed. It's the good products that are going in the right direction that will be improved as they are used. This is one of them. My vent tube are routed right, I saw a post of someone saying there tube got burnt and the carb. stopped working and I saw a post of someone pulling dust through a tube. This sounded strange and insted of jumping in and getting blasted by not knowing everthing about this carburetor I went out and did test! Sure enough one of the tubes has a vacuum! Not alot but, enough to pull fluid. There is anouther that if plugged made the bike die. Like every good product it can have add on's for specail needs. I am looking to put, small filters on these to vent lines. Not that I would need them but, just in case. But, you can always go back to a stock carburetor and I am sure you will run back to the Edelbrock! Some times we forget why we changed.

• Old_Man_Time

Posted December 17, 2004 - 01:58 PM

Take the pumper carb back, rejet the stock carb to the HRC specs, and get him a gym membership.

Send that aftermarket skid plate back while you're at it. All it's gonna do is make oil changes a PITA and create more engine noise.

Now that is funny, I specially love the gym membership part. Been there and done that. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
You will also need a gym membership if ya have to push a bike with full tank of gas. :cry:

• RingKingPin

Posted December 17, 2004 - 02:02 PM

With the money you're gonna get by returning the carb, place an order with Thunder Chicken cause I want what he's smoking! :cry: Thunder Chicken, I wish you could see some of the gouges on the bottom of my skid plate. The last ride I went on I hopped at least a dozen 1' diameter trees and some rocks and I know without a doubt that the stock ice scraper wouldn't have stood a chance. And come to think of it, my Q.S. pumper carb came in handy when I was jumping those trees, nailing the gas three feet in front of the tree that is at headlight height and having the ass end follow over. Try doing that with a stock carb :cry: :cry: :cry:

:cry: still smokin' :lol:

• ThunderChicken

Posted December 17, 2004 - 02:11 PM

Trust me, I've done all of that and more. ...with a stock skid plate and a stock carb jetted to HRC spec.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • pammy

Posted December 17, 2004 - 02:11 PM

Don't worry, I'm not gonna cancel my order. Thanks for the words of encouragement though RingKingPin. I was getting worried. Someone had told him (my husband) that they (the QS carb) stall out on hills too. He commented that he didn't really want one as a result. I haven't told him I bought it yet, but I plan to show him both of these threads so he can hear both sides of the story. Again thank you for the encouragement!

I hear you on the skid plate issue! We both need skid plates, especially my bike being lowered. (actually I don't think my clearance changed with the way I lowered mine) But I've hit rocks pretty hard and I'm sure my little plastic piece doesn't offer much protection!

• RingKingPin

Posted December 17, 2004 - 02:15 PM

Trust me, I've done all of that and more. ...with a stock skid plate and a stock carb jetted to HRC spec.

nope, I don't :cry:

• RingKingPin

Posted December 17, 2004 - 02:18 PM

Pammy, the only way a properly running QS is going to crap out on you up a hill is if you aren't giving it any gas. I'm on the yahoo xr forum and I've heard maybe two complaints about the q.s. Don't worry, he'll love it and he'll love you more for getting it. Let us know what he thinks in a couple weeks. :cry:

• Old_Man_Time

Posted December 17, 2004 - 02:27 PM

I can see my thread has turned into what I didn't want. An Edelbrocks Sales convention.

The only reason I go back to the stock carb is because my Edelbrock is not being reliable. I would choose the Edelbrock any day over the stock once the valve situation is figured out. I believe every Edelbrock owner here who is having this problem feels the same way and has said so. We are in no way trashing the Edelbrock company. If I had been aware of this problem when I purchased my carb I would have waited until I read that it had been fixed before I purchased the carb. So would most folks. It doesn't mean we wouldn't ever purchase from Edelbrock. They are a company that has had a long history in the carburation world. When I was young I knew them for Hi rise manifolds and carbs for beefing up our V8 gas guzzlers. They are no fly by nite company and no one has suggested that.

• RingKingPin

Posted December 17, 2004 - 02:35 PM

Old man, I feel ya 100%. Nothing worse than trying to sort out a problem and running into walls. I'm not trying to sell anything. I was just trying to keep Pammy from getting discouraged about dropping some serious cake on a carb---read above and a certain TT'er told her to return it! :cry: Thats not very nice, especially if she / he hasn't had time to play with it. I do feel for you though. I wonder why Edelbrock doesn't just switch the entire unit out!?! My Q.S. was performing like crap for a couple months and it was driving me crazy. I had that sucker opened up a half dozen times trying to figure it out. It was so hard to start and eventually got to the point where it wouldn't start at all. I was going crazy! The last time I monkeyed with it, I noticed that the main vent tube had hit the header and sealed shut 100%. I cut that end off and that was the end of my worries. Granted I had to tune it for an hour after playing with the pumper and needle a bunch trying to get it to run right. I hope only the best for you. Good luck!

Geoff

• BWB63

Posted December 17, 2004 - 04:45 PM

Stock skid plate :cry: That is funny :cry: Not here in California desert :lol: I could see now that the thread for returning the carburetor and skid plate was a joke :cry: > I'll have to tell David Gray this one......as he is fixing his case from using a stock skid plate :cry: He is soooooooo upset he is willing to pay $180 for a Wipps Bash plate. If you are a good enough rider to win the Baja 1000 you will be good enough to dodge the rocks. Oh, wait the 1x has sothing under the stock skid plate :cry:

• BWB63

Posted December 17, 2004 - 05:24 PM

I can see my thread has turned into what I didn't want. An Edelbrocks Sales convention.

The only reason I go back to the stock carb is because my Edelbrock is not being reliable. I would choose the Edelbrock any day over the stock once the valve situation is figured out. I believe every Edelbrock owner here who is having this problem feels the same way and has said so. We are in no way trashing the Edelbrock company. If I had been aware of this problem when I purchased my carb I would have waited until I read that it had been fixed before I purchased the carb. So would most folks. It doesn't mean we wouldn't ever purchase from Edelbrock. They are a company that has had a long history in the carburation world. When I was young I knew them for Hi rise manifolds and carbs for beefing up our V8 gas guzzlers. They are no fly by nite company and no one has suggested that.

I think that it is hit and miss also, which make it more frustrating for every one. Your thread has been awesome! There is all kinds of perspective. You get one guy that nothing goes wrong ever and can't understand what all the crying is about, A guy that had some problem but races balls to the wall and is just happy to have something that doesn't go into "kill switch mode" when he has to have the bike go to stay alive. The guy that thinks he is a balls to the walls rider but, has no clue what the rest are talking about. The Sunday rider that thinks the rest of us are nuts. The guy that thinks a stock skid plate works. Someone who has $23,000+ into his bike and has a ton more to race that bike. I wouldn't put up with the Honda/Kehin Kill switch either. I might have my Mikuni on though. I'll ride with the best of them and I'll cry and snivle, moan and grown, I have no business riding as fast as I do and I suffer for it but, bring it on. There is no-way a stock carburetor will work for me and I be happy. Maybe, I can have a good time but, not be happy. I enjoyed this thread a bunch! :D Think it was real informitive. I think there is a real issue here but, also think that the Edelbock or Mikuni is the second Best Modification to the BRP that you can make. Suspension Being Number One :lol: There are the guys that went through the Bad Pump on the Edelbrock and still love it, went through the bad pump arm and love it, went through the sticking float valve and love it, and I have one now and love it so far. I love the Mikuni! It is not for everyone, that is way I don't push it. You have to know what you are doing to make it perfect and once it is, it rocks! :cry: :cry: :cry: I have ridden a bike with the Kehin FRC Flat slide and it rocked. It was a bear to fit. That was a major issue. So, far they all have some issue so, it's what you are willing to put up with. Anything is better then stock for riding on the edge! :D Not everyone rides there....they might think they do but, come on :cry:

For you Sunday Riders that think you are all that and a bag of chips send your videos of your hair ball riding to: bruce@borynack.com and I'll put them on the video page with your name. Have to be under 1meg but, you can send more then one. That way we can see if your talk is up to your riding! I can't say that I am all that because my riding is out there for all to see.....I am what I am...

Side note: (Edit add on) I have riden with some of you. I have riden with RingKingPin (he lives in Indiana I live in So. Cal.) So, I am lucky to ride with so many but, some we don't know! We talk like we got it all together and for all we know ThunderChicken is Johny Riding the 1x! JackAttack could be Hedge! OldmanTime could be Ricky Carmicheal!! :lol: What do you think of that...... :cry:

• Dutch

Posted December 17, 2004 - 06:14 PM

I put my TM40 on "BB Betty", (2000 650R), 3 years ago and never have I had a speck of trouble. I have aways had a good inline filter on her.

• BWB63

Posted December 17, 2004 - 06:43 PM

I agree! One of the most over looked options! It's a hot setup! :cry: You can get one for about $220 off ebay. The rejet would be a pain but, I have that down for anyone that want's to go that rout. Look for it in the Harley section. Mikuni TM 40, HRS40 or the New TMR40.

Side note: (Edit add on) I have riden with some of you. I have riden with RingKingPin (he lives in Indiana I live in So. Cal.) So, I am lucky to ride with so many but, some we don't know! We talk like we got it all together and for all we know ThunderChicken is Johny Riding the 1x! JackAttack could be Hedge! OldmanTime could be Ricky Carmicheal!! What do you think of that......

• mikekay

Posted December 17, 2004 - 06:43 PM

I have carb vent filters on my edelbrock. one is an after market filter just for carbs--i got them from Cycle Bob on the east coast....on the other two lines i have been experimenting with little pieces of foam from an old twin air filter that i had lying around. Trick is to get enough foam to filter, but not so much that the carb wont breath...just blow in the end after the foam is in and see how it goes...make sure its free flowing..

right now i have two seperate pieces of foam about 3 inches apart--about 2 inches from the bottom of the vent lines...

i have also played around with venting to a T and then going both up under the seat, and down like normal.

I still have to keep playing around with it. But that is one place to start...ALL the serious Dakar teams have carb vent filters....what does that tell you?

There. Relax Tim, OMT---i am not the only person on the planet with that experience on the edelbrocks--but i might be the only one sharing it...free info for you! One of maybe 300 free bits i have shared over the years on this and other forums on TT. As for me coming on here to bash--well that is crazy. I am a nice and personable person who has met about 6-7 guys on here--in fact 2 of them i have taken racing--picked them up -- drove them to my Baja beach house, and handed them my race bike...its rediculous to pigion hole me as a dickhead....its just that i am having some fun on the internet and push the limits sometimes--like any disgruntled biker.... Nothing else. It gets boring on here some times....thats all. OK?
--again--
Respectfully,
Mike

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.