Why Won't my Clutch dis-engage

4 replies to this topic
  • dangermouse007

Posted December 11, 2004 - 01:34 PM

Magura Clutch fitted, and was working, all bleed spot on, but clutch won't dis-engage

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=205513

• dangermouse007

Posted December 11, 2004 - 02:17 PM

Question: if the bike is in gear (not Running ) and the Clutch is pull in, should I be able to spin the wheel ???

Just did the same on me road bike... and it does the same ???? so what the Technical reason for this???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stonie426

Posted December 11, 2004 - 04:25 PM

Answer to the first part of your question is NO.... my WR426 is exactly the same, as I doubt very much that Yamaha would have made any significant clutch design changes from the 426 to the 450.

A more tech. reason why you can't spin your back wheel while it's in gear even with the clutch lever pulled in, is possibly due to the fact that even though the clutch is fully disengaged, ie. no pressure applied to the friction and drive plates, the oil film is still holding all the plates together, therefore, transmitting drive back to the engine, then to stop when it reaches compression. Even if you try to push your bike forwards (or backwards) with the clutch still disengaged (and in gear), there is still not enough force to beak the oil film between all the plates and totaly free the clutch. To break this oil film requires a considerable amount of force, ie. power from the engine when it's running.

Hope that helps....

Stonie.

• Hamish

Posted December 11, 2004 - 10:17 PM

like stonie said, but you should be able to push the bike with the lever pulled in. You can remove the clutch cover and make sure you are getting enough travel when you pull the lever in. Yammy baskets are as soft as butter, and the clutch plate lugs wear notches in the basket. This can prevent them from releasing when there is no load on the clutch. When it gets really bad you'll find the clutch will drag that much when the bike is running that you won't be able to select nuetral. If it's not this bad, don't worry about it.

• dangermouse007

Posted December 12, 2004 - 05:15 AM

Thanks for all you help guys...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.