"Grey Wire" mod???

6 replies to this topic
  • Greg_in_Atlanta

Posted July 22, 2001 - 01:27 PM

Has anyone ever heard of a "grey wire" mod for the WR?
I am changing my stock WR timing for YZ timing since I have to adjust one of the valves anyway. From what I read, I will like the results.
Greg

• MN_Kevin

Posted July 22, 2001 - 02:45 PM

Grey wire took this forum by storm 2 months ago. CUT IT!

------------------
'99 WZ/YR (you choose!) with ALL YZ mods, de-octopused, DSP Doug Henry airbox w/ velocity stack, FMF PowerBomb header, Stroker SX-1 silencer, SS front brake line, OEM YZ tank, IMS YZ seat.

• Greg_in_Atlanta

Posted July 23, 2001 - 03:40 AM

Thanks Kevin,
A little more info please; I looked all the way back to "100 previous days" and could not find the discussions.
Where to cut? What will happen?
Thanks again.
Greg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tim_in_WA

Posted July 23, 2001 - 03:54 AM

Greg,
Just scroll up to the top of this page and click on "search". Then simply type in "grey wire", leave the search fields alone. They should say "WR400 Discussion" and under the date "Any Date". This should give you all the info. you need. Good luck.

• sfc_crash

Posted July 23, 2001 - 06:33 AM

i looked in the owners manual,and could only find one grey wire,which makes it easy.pop off the gas tank, and there it is, in a 2 wire connector,other wire being black/white.unplug and push out the grey wire female connector. sa-weet. just did mine sat, alot more low in power,which is a good thing.

• jim-in-so-ore

Posted July 23, 2001 - 11:56 AM

Hey guys,
I did the grey wire removal fro the connector trick a couple of weeks ago, the mid range snap is a whole lot better now, but the best part is that annoying 45-55 mph. surging is Gone!!!!!! Thats the best part. All the jet changes in the world didn't help but that did the trick
Jim

• Ron_S

Posted July 25, 2001 - 07:23 AM

Just did 100.9 miles in Vermont on Sunday after cutting the gray wire. Much better mid range.The bike felt like a tractor in mid range. Some of the guy's tried it and were impressed from the last time they rode it. I also installed a 7.5oz flywheel weight. If I did it again, I would consider the 10oz version. NHKevin, too bad we didn't hook up. The ride was fantastic. I'll be in touch.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.