Anyone got a tall seat?

14 replies to this topic
  • Hamish

Posted December 11, 2004 - 04:44 AM

I'm considering getting a SDG tall seat to match the YZ tank I just picked up. My only concern is that in rough rocky conditions I would have trouble toching the ground. I know what you are all thinking, "keep your feet on the pegs and ride it!" Unfortunately for me, the plan rarely goes that smoothly.
I'm about 6'3" and feel that the taller seat would aid in the transition from sitting to standing. If anyone has a tall seat I'd like to know what you think,
thanks

• yamaha-er

Posted December 11, 2004 - 05:32 AM

I have the seat you mentioned and it will be perfect. I'm 6'2" and I touch the ground easy. You will enjoy how much more comfortable that seat is from stock. It is a lot softer.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted December 11, 2004 - 06:04 AM

Two guys at work have tall SDG's on their XR400's. One guy is about 6'2", the other about 6'4", they both love 'em.

• HarveyMushman

Posted December 11, 2004 - 07:07 AM

I was thinking about the Baja Designs kit. I'm not familiar with SDG, are they comparable? I'm 6' 3" , and the seat on my 05 doesn't look like it's going to be much help on a long day.

• oldbones

Posted December 11, 2004 - 07:32 AM

Have it.

Love it. I don't notice the extra height much, but I sure do notice the extra comfort!

• Hamish

Posted December 11, 2004 - 12:30 PM

ok..great...my mind is made up :cry:
Unfortunately the OZ importer reckons mid Jan till they have stock :cry:
If there are on Oz memeber that know of any bike shops that have stock of this seat pls let me know..thanx

• Hamish

Posted December 11, 2004 - 12:32 PM

Two guys at work have tall SDG's on their XR400's. One guy is about 6'2", the other about 6'4", they both love 'em.

I reckond you'd need one on an XR to stop your kneees dragging on the ground.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Math

Posted December 11, 2004 - 01:17 PM

I've tried the one from guts racing.... I think they are the ones who built tall seat for Baja Designs. Very comfy. Very interesting to know that the SDGs are comfy too... what about the Factory effex tall soft foam?

Thanks

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted December 11, 2004 - 06:01 PM

I reckond you'd need one on an XR to stop your kneees dragging on the ground.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted December 11, 2004 - 06:05 PM

Just noticed your post about the seats being out of stock. I presume the supplier you mention is Ballards? I'll make a few calls at work Monday, but I recall the guys at work waiting a couple of weeks for their SDG's :cry:

• Hamish

Posted December 11, 2004 - 10:11 PM

Just noticed your post about the seats being out of stock. I presume the supplier you mention is Ballards? I'll make a few calls at work Monday, but I recall the guys at work waiting a couple of weeks for their SDG's :cry:

yep, thats right. If I could get one before christmas it'd be great. Ballards list them at $169. The local Yamaha stealer quoted me $200, but thats normal as Ballards give SFA trade discount.

• Hamish

Posted December 12, 2004 - 01:48 AM

OK, it's official! I'm a f@#&wit !! LOL
Got my YZ tank the other day, sat it up against the bike and it looked the same as the tank on my bike. Took my tank off to do the valves and noticed they were both exactly the same.. "&%$#@!??" :cry:
So I drain the tank, get the 10litre gerry can and fill the tank. With the tank full I still had about 1 litre in the jerry can. Looks like my bike had a YZ tank all along. Never could quite understand what all the fuss was about being able to get forward. Not to worry , my old tank had a small crack in it and needed replacing anyway.
The new tank I have is a 98/99 tank and doesnt have the white plastic insert in the filler like the other tank did. Doesnt leak without it, but was wondering if anyone else had an early model tank that did or didnt have the plastic insert. Attempts to remove the insert from the new tank were unsucessful.

• Stefe9999

Posted December 12, 2004 - 10:58 AM

Hamish,
This makes me laugh! Here in the middle of the US, I ended up with a European version of the WR. When I first start reading this site, I couldn't figure all the fuss about the seat, getting forward, gray wire, throttle stop.... Then someone had posted a pic of their WR and I looked at it and it didn't look at all like mine. Mine had this weird exhaust, YZ tank, flat seat... Found out later by looking on the European Yamaha site that is how the non-US models come!
:cry:

I replaced the stock seat with the Guts Racing Tall seat foam, soft. It is one of my best mods ever. I'm also 6-3.

• Chris_from_Oz

Posted December 13, 2004 - 12:09 AM

PM'd ya Hamish. :cry:

• YAMAKAZE

Posted December 13, 2004 - 06:49 AM

I just completed my first weekend ride with my new tall (Soft) seat foam and BC3 cover from Factory Effects. I am 5'9 and didn't have any issues with not being able to touch the ground. I did however notice that my tail bone did not hurt at the end of the day as it did with the stock foam that was on the seat. I wish I had done this many moons ago.

Bonzai :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.