maybe im reading incorrectly ,
but i think your charts are wrong

when my bike had 14/48 i could only maybe get 100 mph

• wickedsprint

Posted February 26, 2006 - 04:44 PM

maybe im reading incorrectly ,
but i think your charts are wrong

when my bike had 14/48 i could only maybe get 100 mph

Look at the chart, the revs shpw for up to 0500rpm, don't we have a limiter of around 8k?
8000rpm on his chart shows 100mph.

• Blade Man

Posted February 26, 2006 - 06:59 PM

Sorry I have an XR600R (628)

and I ride it as fast as it will go every chance I get. I typicaly use 15/48 gearing some times 15/45. I usualy ride the bike at the brink ( you know the edge of no control) But some times I just have to close my eyes an hollar SHIT!!! Not real sure how fast but plenty. I know ther are people reading this that know this feeling. How fast were we going??? HHMMM... Kewl!!!

• wr450fyamaha

Posted February 26, 2006 - 07:30 PM

Do not know how accurate his gun was but a CHP radared me at 94 :thumbsup: and I had some to go with stock gearing. Nice guy that he was he only wrote me up for 10 over!

Come on man, u were on a XR650R going 94 and let a pig pull u over? Thats just lame. Of course, me riding with out a cycle endorsement and no plate would mean I would loose my license so when i pass the pigs goin 90, I hit the woods or the tracks. Or back yards if im feelin lucky.

• jake28

Posted February 26, 2006 - 07:38 PM

Come on man, u were on a XR650R going 94 and let a pig pull u over? Thats just lame. Of course, me riding with out a cycle endorsement and no plate would mean I would loose my license so when i pass the pigs goin 90, I hit the woods or the tracks. Or back yards if im feelin lucky.

What a wonderful example of a responsible motorcycle owner. hehehe

• cj650

Posted February 13, 2008 - 04:54 PM

i've heard 110mph but i am not sure.
My 650 is uncorked, rejetted, with an FMF exhaust system soon to have a k&n air filter.

• resurrection

Posted February 13, 2008 - 08:26 PM

I run 15 /40 with street skins uncorked With some wind at my back ,tucked and hitting limit I'm 118 /120mph .
With a head wind she wont pull to the top, maybe 100mph.
I find this gear to be relaxing at high speed 80mph on the high way upright ,and awesome pull ,with a tuck WFO she hits 110 rite now.
It will lug 5th @ less than 55mph.around town it never runs threw 3rd.

• RdrMtn

Posted February 14, 2008 - 08:04 AM

I have stock 14/48 gearing on my uncorked 650R with HRC tip and Edlebrock, I live at 5400 feet. I have hit an indicated 95 mph, but that's with my trailtech speedo that I calibrated using a tape measure. Unless you are using GPS, the speedometer readings everyone is reporting here most likely vary quite a bit depending on how accurately the speedo is calibrated. If the readings vary +/- 5% that's +/- 5mph at 100mph. So don't worry too much about a few mph on the top end, it's all about speedo calibration.

• Kenaroo

Posted February 14, 2008 - 08:55 AM

Y2K XRR
uncorked
edlebrocked
hot cam stage one
Performance exhaust
15/47 gearing
alt 500-1000 ft

Tar and gravel road

There was more left in her

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dodger

Posted February 14, 2008 - 09:21 AM

I am wondering what the top speed of the xr650r uncorked is with stock gearing? I have heard 100 mph but I havent been able to get close to that at 5000 feet altitude;) please chime in! H-2 :applause:

Ne neither. I get up to close to 80mph, and that's it. The altitude that we run at isn't going to get us 100mph without regearing. Here on the front range I'm also at 5,000 feet.

• Dodger

Posted February 14, 2008 - 09:22 AM

Too bad you guys can't keep up with my Husky 610

Those Husky's are beautiful bikes :applause:

• Kenaroo

Posted February 14, 2008 - 12:55 PM

Too bad you guys can't keep up with my Husky 610

Keep up with the maintainance? company going bankrupt 5 times,

I don't see a lot of 7 year old huskies around the desert. see a lot in junk yards and in pieces in buddies garages.

• hondacrf150f1

Posted February 14, 2008 - 02:13 PM

uncorked, with airbox venting, and jetted higher, HRC tip.

Stock wheels with knobbies: 95.5
17's with 100% street tires ive seen 99.5 on my vapor, thats with 15/45 gearing.

• BWB63

Posted February 14, 2008 - 06:43 PM

Y2K XRR
uncorked
edlebrocked
hot cam stage one
Performance exhaust
15/47 gearing
alt 500-1000 ft

Tar and gravel road

There was more left in her

Posted Image

I would believe that and more with what you have and you are using a GPS. You got lucky nailing down the over all speed, most of the time you get s shift in the calculation before or just at the start of the run that can give crazy numbers for the top speed. It is a good idea to reset after you start moving on your run an the throttle up as you might have done. Drive next to a car, and all speedo's are not accurate inless the are checked with a GPS or radar.

www.borynack.com/XR650R

• knuklehead

Posted February 14, 2008 - 07:07 PM

Fastest I've been is 95 between Alpine Rd. and Corral Canyon uphigh on the fire road when I ran out of balls mine that is , the pig had more left in her.

• resurrection

Posted February 14, 2008 - 07:22 PM

The mean mph (upright into the wind then tucked w/tail wind)I'm pretty sure that would average out close to a 15/48 into rev limiter .

The wind resistance and HP haven't changed .All the bikes will pan out the same + - few mph.I'm sure my big a$$ causes more wind resistance though.

w/fairing and higer rev limit you can pull more gear .
for high speed the fairing is more effective.

Remove the sidetank scoops and mount a fairing .then slam the susp.

Sounds like fun to me!

• hondacrf150f1

Posted February 15, 2008 - 08:18 AM

hmm, maby somebody could explain why i cant hit the rev limiter in 5th gear?

ive seen 99.5 MPH with 15/45 gearing, 17" wheels, but the rpm's was only reading 7800, and it revs to 8300 right?

• Maroast

Posted February 15, 2008 - 08:44 AM

ive seen 99.5 MPH with 15/45 gearing, 17" wheels, but the rpm's was only reading 7800, and it revs to 8300 right?

blaaaaaa! I feel your pain man!! like 2 months ago I could only get my XRR with knobies and 15X45 gearing to 99.7 mph on this abandoned a 2mi airstrip i found. I had it PINNED the entire way and this thing just danced between 99.5 and 99.7, but wouldn't go triple on me :) I thought the motor was going to explode beneath me :applause:

hmm, maby somebody could explain why i cant hit the rev limiter in 5th gear?

That was my same problem too. If you think about it, this is a pretty heavy bike, and it takes a lot of torque to overcome the huge forces you begin to experience once you reach the triple digit region. Unlike sport bike, we have NO aerodynamics on our side to help reduce some of these forces....we are riding dirt bikes. Thats the long answer.

The kinda short answer: our motors aren't powerful enough. They just aren't generating the torque/hp on the top end. I know for a fact that my bike is running rich at full throttle. If you do the right mods to let the bike really breath at the top, and tune the carb to burn strong up there too, then you should be able to extend the torque/hp curves a little more to the right, and then squeeze out that extra 1000rpms (and mph).

As of now, your (and my) bike is probably producing max power somewhere in the 6000rpm range. when you take the bike up to ~99mph the speed of the motor is dependent on your gearing and transmission...which is in the mid 7000 range...Beyond your max torque and hp. The motor essentially reaches an equilibrium between the rpms (speed) and the point where the power falls completely off. Sure, the cdi will let you run the motor into the mid 8000rpm range, but under load your motor cant generate the forces necessary to reach those rpms.

Take a look at these curves I pulled off the internet....this should give you a quick idea what is goin on. Pay attention to the upper rpms in relation to torque and hp decline

Posted Image

• moto931

Posted February 15, 2008 - 02:03 PM

102 mph according to the GPS
Dirt Road - 4000 ft elevation, 165 main, uncorked; Desert At tire in a 120, balanced wheels, big tank,15/48 gearing, and my fat a$$ twisting the glue off the throttle tube.
It quit pulling before it reved out and a buddy's with a full FMF system otherwise set up the same yarded me the whole way. This year (when the snow melts) it is going to be a different story - Full FMF system, stage2 hot cam, opened side pannels, steering dampener for the "twitch".

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.