when to do a top end??

7 replies to this topic
  • postalrider

Posted December 09, 2004 - 07:17 PM

i have ask around and every mechanic gives a different answer ,i have 3000 miles on my 03 and i think its time for a new piston ,whats your opinion? p,s valves are still perfect,performance is still good

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 09, 2004 - 07:19 PM

Keep going to 10,000! :cry:

• Gadsen

Posted December 09, 2004 - 07:45 PM

Dittos on the 10,000! You will know when it starts comsuming oil. You will smell it. Smells like burning caps (for those who remember cap guns before political correctness made them obsolete) and will usually start buring oil only when cold, goes away when warm. This is probably the beggining to start collecting up the parts for a top end overhaul.

• postalrider

Posted December 10, 2004 - 07:55 PM

i am more concerned with the engine noise and the possibility of losing a skirt on the rev limiter.it may be the basket rattling but it sure sounds like piston slap PARINOIAWILLDESTROYA

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • terdog

Posted December 11, 2004 - 09:18 AM

have you done a compression / leakdown test? if everything is good, THEN SHUT UP AND RIDE!

terdog

• Hamish

Posted December 11, 2004 - 12:43 PM

i am more concerned with the engine noise and the possibility of losing a skirt on the rev limiter.it may be the basket rattling but it sure sounds like piston slap PARINOIAWILLDESTROYA

Put a YZ pipe on it and you'll never hear any engine noises :cry:
If you are that worried about it check out the state of the clutch basket, but even the crap yammy clutch baskets should be good for more than 3000 Mi if the oil is changed as required. If you change the oil as required and warm the bike up properly (VERY IMPORTANT - a cold piston isn't even round!) a skirt failure would be very unlikely. I go on the theory that it's better to waste money on a worn/suspect engine component than to wait for it to fail and destroy everything else in the process, but thats just my personal opinion.

• Oasis_Flame

Posted December 11, 2004 - 01:07 PM

Check valve lash and keep riding. 10k miles sounds like a good rebuild number. :cry:

• TallBoysWRF

Posted December 11, 2004 - 04:32 PM

Another VERY important thing to top end life is frequently changing the air filter. The motor will last without dirt.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.