WR400 connecting rod

23 replies to this topic
  • MrBlahh

Posted December 16, 2004 - 05:14 AM

I've got a special order wiseco piston, WR400 rod with a 426 jug 2mm over, so 444 at 13:1

when it's time to replace my only option is press on a 426 rod to match, cant get replacement pistons anymore as far as I know at least

• Rich_Rohrich

Posted December 16, 2004 - 10:11 AM

cant get replacement pistons anymore as far as I know at least

They only made a handfull of those pistons. They were about 12% heavier than the OEM piston and accelerated rod breakage when guys installed them in engines with a lot of hours on them.

The 426 rod is just better all the way around. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MrBlahh

Posted December 16, 2004 - 12:16 PM

Are they heavier due to the extra 4mm diameter? or more material somewhere else?

I've got so many hours on the bike, last year it was rode 8 hours a day 2 days a week

• Rich_Rohrich

Posted December 17, 2004 - 08:50 AM

Are they heavier due to the extra 4mm diameter? or more material somewhere else?

They used a different forging process with those pistons than they do on the new YZF250 big bore pistons. The YZF250 2mm over pistons are actually lighter than stock by about a gram (I don't remember the exact amount off the top of my head).

So in answer to your question it's probably a combination of the process and the size of the piston.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.