trellberg vs. ice screws

7 replies to this topic
  • drewpeacock

Posted December 08, 2004 - 06:39 PM

Is it worth it to buy the trelleberg tires if only riding on rivers and lakes. Just dredding the thought of studding up another set of tires. By the end of winter my knobbies are tore up! Will I have good traction on ice with trelleberg?

• katoom125

Posted December 09, 2004 - 06:10 AM

nope, the trelleborgs will not be as good as screws on solid ice surfaces (like a frozen lake/river), but they sure work great in the woods and are very acceptable on snowmobile trails (packed snow) too.

I run both screws and trelleborgs and prefer the trelleborgs for woods riding because there's no maintainance - whereas with screws you'll be replacing some due to dulling and the few that fall out - this is no big deal however.

One other comment - I have now owned/ridden my trelleborgs for over 10 years and they still look decent although the rubber is getting REAL stiff, but they are still very functional. Since trelleborg sold the rights and are now made by a different company, I couldn't say whether they will hold up as well as the older ones like mine.

I still run my 125 with screws because my trelleborgs are 18 inch and the 125 has a 19 inch rear, so I still use both options and don't mind the screws either and as mentioned above - prefer the screws on solid ice.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted December 09, 2004 - 09:08 AM

Yea what he said. Kold kutters on the ice are the hot setup. Trelly's will keep you off your butt on the ice but dont offer near the traction of a set of ice screw ice tires.

If you are only running on the frozen lakes then only ride with them on the ice. Dont ride with the screws off the ice. The will stay sharper if you keep them off the frozen dirt.

• 5valve

Posted December 09, 2004 - 09:38 AM

the production of trelleborg tyres was shipped to eastern europe (Checz republic)
the company, that took over is one of the biggest tyre manufacturer in that part of the world and already has its own motocross/enduro tyre brand-MITAS- and also sponsors some enduro events there
but for sure, through trial, the checz made trelleborgs are of more quality than mitas tyres (superb life, excellent traction), never really tried the spyked tyres, but the quality is for sure not downed!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • matt_patton

Posted December 09, 2004 - 09:13 PM

ok, what tire do I use to ride on snowy/icy streets? D606's stock? D606's with studs? anyone got a source for studs and the tools needed? I doubt I'll be doing a lot of frozen dirt riding but I might. Where does one GET these trelleborg tires in the midwest?

• katoom125

Posted December 10, 2004 - 06:45 AM

ok, what tire do I use to ride on snowy/icy streets? D606's stock? D606's with studs? anyone got a source for studs and the tools needed? I doubt I'll be doing a lot of frozen dirt riding but I might. Where does one GET these trelleborg tires in the midwest?

The trelleborgs I am familiar with (and use) are not intended as street tires - they are off road only as the carbide studs are too long - stick out too far - to be used on the street - unless it's a dirt road, they could even be dangerous in my opinion.

I don't know where you could find a studded street tire for motorcycle use.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted December 10, 2004 - 10:08 AM

Try www.winterstuds.com

If nothing else you can get the tools to stud up a set of tires with shorter studs. The tools are pricy though.

• montanaWR250F

Posted December 10, 2004 - 11:24 AM

I have a post on the For Sale side for test tires that I am doing with car studs. Its on fourth page and here is a link to learn more about studs versus screws.

http://www.trailride...rticle_23.shtml

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.