YZ or WR in the woods

11 replies to this topic
  • Goosedog

Posted December 08, 2004 - 06:17 PM

Just curious how many enduro riders here have a preference for either the YZ or the WR in the woods. I've just bought a an '02 YZ for the woods cause it was available for a good price but I never tried a WR. A DRZ's been my main woods bike for the last three years and this YZ is quite a change. Stiffer suspention and a lot more punch. :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 08, 2004 - 06:39 PM

You have to spend money on suspension, flywheel, and gearing to make the YZ more suitable for woods. :cry:

• smokin529

Posted December 08, 2004 - 06:51 PM

I went with the YZ. The YZ was a little cheaper, I didn't have to buy a new pipe for it, I weigh enough that I'd of had to do something with the suspension either way, I didn't like the stock WR tank(put an IMS on the YZ), I still race a little moto now and then(Washougal National!!!-amature day of course). The electric starter is nice(a little heavy though), but my YZ starts very easily with the jetting dialed in. So really the only thing I'd really like that I don't have is a headlight.

• teamtoxic

Posted December 08, 2004 - 06:58 PM

I've done a lot of woods riding on my '00 YZ426F and have absolutely loved it. Here in Michigan there are a lot of tight single track trails that we ride where 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear are all you might use. Stalling happens occasionally, but never was a big issue. I'm 200 lbs and as far as suspension is concerned; mine is totally stock as I spend some time at the motocross tracks. If you're an aggresive rider I say leave the suspension alone. If you're just looking to cruise the trails, then I would recommend some suspension work. I think the YZ426 is a great woods bike, just throw on some handguards and a USFD approved exhaust and RIDE! :cry:

Addendum:
Forgot to mention: I have ridden a 2000 WR400F (mostly stock) and felt it was too bulky and doggish compared to the YZ. With proper setup the WR can be more YZ-like while maintaining the advantages of the WR.

• Thomas_Potter

Posted December 08, 2004 - 07:00 PM

I was considering a WR also, and really wasn't wanting to even look at a YZ. Guess what - ended up with a 2001 YZ. The price was right, and it was in really excellent condition.

I disagree that you 'have' to spend money on the suspension for making a woods bike out of it. All I have done to mine to try to even out the time I spend between woods and track was to put on a 13 tooth c-shaft sproket. I did also put on a set of steel clutch plates. The low end in the trees is fantastic. Going uphill on tough root / rocky sections just takes a little throttle control and proper weight placement.

If I need extra range, I bought a WR tank and seat combo.

Tom

• Jethrro

Posted December 08, 2004 - 09:19 PM

Back when I was riding my XR 650 evry so often I would borrow a friends yz 426. Now that the Xr is some what retired I bought a 04 WR 450. I've done all the "free mods" and yz cam and a jd jet kit and it flat rips. I would say that it's comprable to a yz minus a little "hit". I the woods and tight trails the wr is more at home just because the more woods friendly gearing. Either or your yz will work very well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • cowboyona426

Posted December 12, 2004 - 03:57 PM

You have to spend money on suspension, flywheel, and gearing to make the YZ more suitable for woods. :cry:

Nah. I geared mine down, added barkbusters, rad braces, and a sparky. That will get you a good woods bike. Of course, I have a lot of other stuff on my bike as well, but it's all bling-bling :cry:

• yz426onNOS

Posted December 13, 2004 - 03:42 AM

YZ all the way! When I was looking I was dead set agansit the yz and wanted the wr. But the yz was a good price. I loved it! I beat the living hell out of it in the northwest!

• Goosedog

Posted December 13, 2004 - 04:01 AM

Nah. I geared mine down, added barkbusters, rad braces, and a sparky. :cry:

I've done the braces and the barkbusters. What gearing did you go with and which spark arrestor? (I've got another post on this site regarding affordable USFS arrestors, with few solutions.)

• cowboyona426

Posted December 13, 2004 - 03:46 PM

I've done the braces and the barkbusters. What gearing did you go with and which spark arrestor? (I've got another post on this site regarding affordable USFS arrestors, with few solutions.)

13/52 gearing (works great in the woods) and the Thunder Alley slip-on pipe. I used to have an FMF PowerCore IV and the TA is a lot better than the FMF power-wise and sounds better to boot. They are a little spendy compared to other pipes, but well worth it. Click here for more info.

• starttman

Posted December 13, 2004 - 06:51 PM

id opt for the wr...in the woods...nice low 1st gear.

yz with a recluse autoclutch works great in woods also. with the auto clutch the bike can run a little slower and not stall at all.plus your not spinning all the time in slick and greasy stuff. auto clutch is GREAT in the snow.

my .02

chris

• yzwiley

Posted December 14, 2004 - 08:24 AM

I'm an "A" enduro rider in District 36 and prefer the YZ over the WR.

I'm a "revver" type of rider and like the hit the YZ motor provides. The WR was just a little too lazy for me and I didn't like the gearbox as much when it comes to the tight stuff. I like to gear down my YZs to a 13/49 combo as so I can really enjoy the close-ratio gearbox better.

I've never had issues with stalling the motor so I never saw a need to install flywheel weights. That and I really like a hard hitting motor. I didn't want the weights to take any of the hit away.

Every rider has different preferences so you really have to figure out what type bike you like the best for you. If you can jump on some buddies' bikes you might garner the best knowledge for a purchase direction there.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.