New BRP owner

5 replies to this topic
  • Eric Henion

Posted December 08, 2004 - 05:00 PM

I have an 05 XR650R and I would like to know what exactly uncorking is?

• socalxr650

Posted December 08, 2004 - 05:16 PM

Uncorking simply means to remove all the smog crap that the manufacture has to put on to appease the tree huggers.

• mikekay

Posted December 08, 2004 - 05:44 PM

Theres lots of info in the archives about uncorking...
Congrats on getting the bike, and welcome!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • DelTronXR

Posted December 08, 2004 - 05:55 PM

If it is a California bike, there is quite a bit you can do. First off, it needs to be re-jetted (Anywhere between 165 and 175 depending on the altitude of where you ride). Then you need to fiddle with the needle (stock I believe is set at the second position, move it to the fourth). That's enough for the carb. You have to then take care of the exhaust. You have the option of removing the extra crap with a drill, or buying something newer (and a HECK of a lot lighter). Then you need to replace the intake manifold with the bigger unit (it's available at a Honda dealer under this part #:16211-MBN-640). Then take out the rubber boot on the inside of the airbox (check out this page for a better picture: Outside of that, throw on a stabilizer, a fat tank, new pegs and gear it 15/47 and you've got yourself a race-ready beast....Good Luck!

• qadsan

Posted December 08, 2004 - 06:38 PM

See for all kinds of info on this bike including uncorking info.

• Winkel

Posted December 08, 2004 - 08:19 PM

Actually the uncorking can be done fairly inexspensively. The restricted boot can be opened up with a razor knife. The aluminum insert can be pulled out by hand. When you remove it, you will see what I mean. Just trim the inside to where it is slightly bigger than the mating surface on the head.

Exhaust tip: I didn't have a hole saw that was the right size, so I drilled several one-eighth holes around the major diameter you want, and punched it out with a hammer and old screw driver. Then I dressed up the rough edges with a dremel. Looks like factory equipment now. I made a holder out of wood to keep from damaging the spark arrester screen while pounding on it.

The jet "kit" can be purchased on e-bay for about fifteen bucks.

Good Luck,

Winkel :cry:

Related Content

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  57 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.