05 WR450 improvements

12 replies to this topic
  • timcook

Posted December 08, 2004 - 08:55 AM

Hello all,
I am brand new to this site. I'm impressed with what I have seen so far. I thought my first post should refer to the uncorking of my new WR. She is broken-in and I've done two oil changes. There is no dought that numerous ponies hide within her. I know you get asked this often, but I was wondering where to find something specific. Are there photos and/or directions avialable to show the throttle screw and grey wire? Any suggestions would be great. I look forward to sharing ideas with you all in the future.

• BrianVivian

Posted December 08, 2004 - 09:43 AM

www.thumperfaq.com gives you everything you'll need. I can't imagine how you rode it so long without doing the mods! You're gonna crap after you 'fix' it.

• mark2025

Posted December 08, 2004 - 09:55 AM

On the 05 450, the throttle stop mod is actually a little different (easier) then in the FAQ link above.

There is no booty over it and you dont have to remove the cover. The Throttle stop screw is visible from the back of the carb (opposite of the cables) and can be removed/replaced without disconnecting the throttle cables or removing anything else.

Just look for the black allen head bolt on the rear of the throttle disk.

• timcook

Posted December 08, 2004 - 10:45 AM

It is true about the above link. It is however a cool site. They only support the WR250 and I am sure that there are numerous differences between the two bikes. Does the screw need removed, shortened, or replaced all together. The 05 baffle is new to this year, after the spark arrester it appears two rivits hold the baffle in place. Debating removing this also. Although I imagine it will be as loud as the space shuttle at launch time!

• mark2025

Posted December 08, 2004 - 11:55 AM

The screw (throttle stop) needs to be removed and cut OR replaced with the YZ version. I ended up buying a new YZ screw for about $12 so I do not know the exact amount you would need to cut off if you chose that route...several others may have previously posted that.

As far as the new pipe, you can remove the Allen screws that hold the end cap on the pipe, you DO NOT need to cut or remove the two rivets. After you pull the cap off, you can remove the corked portion of the baffle...it opens the hole up to about an inch or so and helps it exhale.

It is a little louder (not much) and is still at or under 96db, in my opinion.

• timcook

Posted December 09, 2004 - 10:24 AM

I was told by one of our local dealers that you can save $13 by cutting the throttle screw by 11mm. Does this measurement sound right. I'd hate to cut this wrong considering they do not have the YZ screw in stock.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jackazz

Posted December 09, 2004 - 10:43 AM

11mm is what I cut off my '04, & I've had no problems. I would guess the screws are the same.

BTW, on my '04 I did'nt have to take anything apart to get my throttle stop screw out, I just used a short alen key to remove it. I'm not sure why people were saying to take the cables or the cable cover off. :cry:

• BURLEY

Posted December 09, 2004 - 10:51 AM

The dealer I bought from GAVE me a YZ stop. If he hadn't I would cut the stock. No screw is worth $12, not even the one you pick up on a street corner in a bad part of town!!

• bottomfeeder2

Posted December 09, 2004 - 12:14 PM

As far as the new pipe, you can remove the Allen screws that hold the end cap on the pipe, you DO NOT need to cut or remove the two rivets. After you pull the cap off, you can remove the corked portion of the baffle...it opens the hole up to about an inch or so and helps it exhale.

It is a little louder (not much) and is still at or under 96db, in my opinion.

Anyone have any pics of this?

• timcook

Posted December 12, 2004 - 11:30 AM

Thanks for the suggestions.
The bike is in the garage as we speak to do the throttle screw, gray wire & install my Baja designs kit. Anyone installed this kit? I do find it cheesey that they want the rear fender drilled for the rear turn signals. I have found a rack from Promoto Billet that would give my provisions for the turn signals, but it's awful pricey at $185. Wondering if there is another rear rack out there for the WR's?

• las_vegas_thumper

Posted December 12, 2004 - 07:12 PM

I was told by one of our local dealers that you can save $13 by cutting the throttle screw by 11mm. Does this measurement sound right. I'd hate to cut this wrong considering they do not have the YZ screw in stock.

I did not have a mm ruler around. "Googled" a conversion calculator and converted both 10 and 11mm. Cut at the 10mm equivalent (approx .39xxx) and finished with a chamfer around the edges. Dude, this thing rocks!!!

• timcook

Posted December 20, 2004 - 09:07 PM

:D :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Thanks to everyone that responded to my very first post(too many to mention!!!)
The bike is back togther and the difference is unbelievable!! :cry: :lol:
I am absolutely addicted to this site. Kudos to all that have made it what is today. I look forward to sharing with you all for years to come

Thanks again,
Tim :lol: :D :D

• RichBaker

Posted December 21, 2004 - 01:15 PM

That sounds right. The Yamaha dealers have a bulletin that gives the correct measurement, so I'd believe him....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.