Cold weather

5 replies to this topic
  • JP147

Posted December 08, 2004 - 05:10 AM

Do four strokes need to be jetted richer for cold weather like 2 strokes & if below zero should I unhook or block air flow to at least 1 rad to help oil stay hot?

• YAMAKAZE

Posted December 08, 2004 - 05:32 AM

It needs to be leaned out a bit in winter..... Make sure that you also lean out the PAJ to match or you will be unbalanced. Stock jetting is way to rich for temps under 30-40 degrees.

I have friends in the great north (Alaska) who cut a piece of window screen to fit the size of the Radiators then use duct tape on the lower half of each radiator (On the Screen) when the temps are under 10 degrees or so. On the other hand some of them don't use anything at all and say it's fine.

Bonzai :cry:

• jimmyg

Posted December 09, 2004 - 01:15 PM

too lean for cold weather with stock jetting ?????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Thumper38

Posted December 09, 2004 - 01:26 PM

You should richen up in the winter and lean it out in the summer! the 450 likes the fuel.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted December 09, 2004 - 05:18 PM

You should richen up in the winter and lean it out in the summer! the 450 likes the fuel.

Yea richer in the winter for sure. Cold air is Dense air. More air = more fuel.

Check out Motoman383's site here on TT. He has a great excell spread sheet jetting chart that should get you in the ball park. And dont forget to up the starter jet also. Not the pilot jet (although that needs to be bigger also) but the starter jet. The Starter jet only has an effect on Jetting when the choke is on. Bigger starter jet = easier starting in cold weather. If your bike starts and stalls like a dozen times before finially staying running in super cold weather this is the starter jet causing that. In the summer my yz400 runs a 65 starter jet. In the winter I run a 72. Starts much better this way.

• Frostbite

Posted December 10, 2004 - 06:08 AM

A 4 stroke running lean in cold temps won't melt down like a 2 smoke but it'll run crappy and be hard to start. You've gotta richen up as the air gets colder. As for the rads, I've heard some folks block 'em and some don't. I don't block mine and run regularly at -25 and as cold as -40 with no problems. Make sure your antifreeze is up to snuff and use lighter engine oil.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.