I want electric start '02 YZ 426F, Anyone else done this?

23 replies to this topic
  • Smokey123

Posted December 06, 2004 - 09:30 PM

I just got my YZ 426 F and think that the starting is a real pain. I'ver read that the cam mod will help, but I really wondered is there an aftermarket electric starter that could go on this bike with relatively little work?

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 06, 2004 - 09:40 PM

I think cost wise you are better off selling and upgrading to a used 03 WR450. :cry:

• dezert_dominator

Posted December 06, 2004 - 10:10 PM

I was thinking the same thing, I have the same bike and I am tired of dancing with it to get it started after I crash. I saw am e-start kit for the xr650 for around $800 so I dont think cheap is an option.

• Hamish

Posted December 06, 2004 - 11:37 PM

get an WR 03 onwards.
Even if you could integrate a starter/clutch assy (good luck!)
then you would have to fit a WR stator, reg/rect/battery.
Tune it properly, then it'll go 1st kick. I cant see why so many ppl have trouble fixing these things.

• JVP

Posted December 07, 2004 - 09:59 AM

That's why the WR400/426 are on the market for such a cheap price. They are hard to start and weigh as much as the WR450's without the magic button.

• ZEKEDAWG

Posted December 07, 2004 - 11:41 AM

These pigs are easy to start. Seems like there was a time when alot of guys were taking the battery and the starter off the wrs to make them lighter. The cam mod helps but so does a little hand eye coordination.

• Domenic_WRF

Posted December 07, 2004 - 12:43 PM

450 CAM+JD JETTING= FIRST KICK STARTS :cry:

• Hamish

Posted December 08, 2004 - 03:31 AM

YZ426 cam timing + YZ needle (or JD is you wish) = first kick starts.
Don't mean to sound rude but your money would be better spent with a gym membership :cry:
The bit that has me confused with the guys that have trouble starting their 426's is this. If you don't have the strength/co-ordination/whaterver to start the bike, how the hell do yoiu ride it? Starting it is a walk in the park compared to riding it hard.

• mousemeat

Posted December 08, 2004 - 03:46 AM

We aren't all located in semi-tropical climates. When the weather gets cold, it gets much harder.

Also, if you drop the bike halfway up some steep slimy slope, it can be really hard just to kick it half-assed, let alone give it a real kick.

• Rattler88

Posted December 08, 2004 - 12:29 PM

Go with the 03 YZF 450 Exhaust cam and you can kick it over like a
2 Stroke, no more 3 for 1 drill. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • firezwr426

Posted December 08, 2004 - 01:28 PM

no problems starting mine.. but its dialed in pretty good, and I'm a pretty big guy... but it can be hard to kick on a hill and after dumping it, or when you are just plain tired though...
hey smokey123 where at in ut do you ride?

• robertowallis

Posted December 09, 2004 - 06:16 AM

I have an WR 400 2000 and bought an electric start from a guy named Ramirez in Italy
His web site is http://www.ramirez.it
I installed it in my bike and it ran ok.
The kit was about $1200 and it works for a YZ426 also

• YAMAKAZE

Posted December 09, 2004 - 06:30 AM

If you had the jetting right, it would light off easily every time.

Bonzai :cry:

• MadDawg

Posted December 12, 2004 - 10:44 PM

You guys crack me up! :cry: Why would anyone pay $800-$1200 dollars for an electric start is beyond me. :cry: Electric start is fer wussies. If you get stuck on a hill and you can't crank it then turn that baby around, pull yer clutch in, give her second gear, pull your compression release, let head downhill, let the clutch out then the compression release and viola! she starts. If not, maybe you should get it tuned up correctly before you ride again. :cry: Same for if you cannot start on the first kick!
I can EASILY start my bike giving her a half a$$ kick sitting down! Take care of your ride and your ride will take care of you. :cry:

• SPUTTER

Posted December 13, 2004 - 07:14 AM

Just like half the guys here said: DO THE CAM MOD!
one kick, and it's an easy kick - bump starts anywhere -
and a better kind of power IMO.

• Smokey123

Posted December 20, 2004 - 09:45 AM

From what I've read I agree, the cam mod will help. As for being a wussie, yeah so what. I went riding this weekend, in the mud, and a friend fell over in about a foot of water and soft clay mud. Once he got up, he could have kicked it doing the whole drill and hoped that it started, but lucky for him he has the WR. Pushed a button and rode out. It's times like that after riding all day that you are a** tired, trying to get back to the truck when I would want an electric start. Oh yeah, and since I'm being wussie I want a softer seat too! :cry:

I'll be picking up a cam soon. Just need to find time to put it in... when I'm not riding that is.

firezwr426 - I have only rode a couple of times in Ut. Had a good time at five mile when the temp got up to 50* F last week. I'm looking for some good trails. I will probably head down to moab this summer and hit up some red rock.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted December 20, 2004 - 02:34 PM

I had a 2001 WR426F and did do the electric start mod. I sold it and bought an 04 WR450F. Problem solved! :cry:

• chipwich

Posted December 20, 2004 - 04:43 PM

you mean there is a kick start lever on this thing? :cry: maybe i should crack the owner's manual.

why i was kick starting yz490s when you were just a twinkle in your old man's eye. :cry:

magic button :cry: wussies unite!! ride more, lift less!

• matt_patton

Posted December 21, 2004 - 08:49 PM

ok, I'm brand frigging new to dirt bikes (haven't even ridden around the block on mine yet) - 95K mi on street bikes with magic buttons. But if I can learn in an hour how to kick my WR400 (no cam) in 20F weather, what's the problem exactly? Granted I ordered the auto-decomp cam before I figured out my troubles were almost entirely because the gas tank needed to be in reserve. I may still install said CAM since I haven't had the pleasure of trying to kick a hot WR but now that I've figured the method out and she starts within 6 kicks at most (I empty kick a couple just to prime the oil pump) I am having difficulty with the "this bike is hard to start" line of thought.

What am I missing?

• Sylvain

Posted December 22, 2004 - 02:24 AM

I don't have the magic button on mine either. When I bought my WR in the fall of 2002 I had the choice of the e-button of the 2003. I praised myself with my choice when starter troubles came up for the 03. But some times I still wish I had it. Because I know it exists.

I have been riding for quite a few years and to me a real dirt bike was started with a kick. Times are changing.

There are really nice machines out there with the magic button that work flawlessly.

My bike must be an easy starter, the only time I have trouble with it is when I dump it with a wo throttle and I try to kick it without the hot start.

My next dirt bike will certainly have the magic button, but for now I barely miss it. :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.