Working on New 05 WR450

9 replies to this topic
  • Kevin_K

Posted December 06, 2004 - 09:53 AM

Hey Everyone, as you might know (from an previous post of mine) I have a new 05 WR450. So far i have not had a chance to get it dirty (love that new bike smell) I really want to dial it in first. So far i have clipped gray wire, Put on the pro circut 496 pipe, opened air box (including cutting holes in right side) and jetted with JD. The bike has of course really come alive. 2 things, after checking on here I'm not sure if cutting the blue wire is still necessary and JD's kit says to put clip on 3rd groove for wr and 4th groove for yz. Does anybody know why, if i do yz timing should i go 4th groove..... Well i went with 4th groove and did not do yz timing and the bike runs great. I have an area that i test ride but still have not got it dirty yet, i soooooo clean and pretty i don't want to ..... well yes i do, get it dirty that is :cry:
Maybe this weekend. :cry:

• HarveyMushman

Posted December 06, 2004 - 12:36 PM

Does the Pro Circut pipe keep the sound down to 96db??

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 06, 2004 - 01:40 PM

Take lots of pictures because that blue plastic will never look the same!
YZ timing involves buying the YZ450 exhaust cam which will run you $162.00 list price. Sky blue wire mod is most likely still applicable but not necessary unless you have poor starting. As far as Jetting run the bike with the needle in #3 and if you get a lot of backfiring when closing the throttle from 1/2 throttle range then you may want to raise the needle and go to clip #4. :cry:

• BURLEY

Posted December 06, 2004 - 03:49 PM

Indy. Which jet did you use frim the JD kit? I decided to try and save some money and just buy a needle, a pilot and a main separate. I think I went a bit fat though. 172/48, needle at #4 on an '04 YZ needle (since the stock '05 has one clip position).

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 06, 2004 - 04:57 PM

I would back it down to a 165 main and leave the needle in clip 4 and 48 pilot. You are probably getting some misfiring at higher reevs when rich. Kind of like hitting the rev limiter early in the rev range. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • BURLEY

Posted December 06, 2004 - 05:44 PM

I would back it down to a 165 main and leave the needle in clip 4 and 48 pilot. You are probably getting some misfiring at higher reevs when rich. Kind of like hitting the rev limiter early in the rev range. :cry:

165 main it is! Indy you are the man. I will try this because you PEGGED my symptoms. Sounds just like I am hitting the rev limiter at mid range. Indy for President!

• liv2ride

Posted December 07, 2004 - 08:48 PM

i to am interested in the pc496 silencer!!!
how loud is it, how huch lighter and did it help the power much?

• BURLEY

Posted December 08, 2004 - 11:37 AM

i to am interested in the pc496 silencer!!!
how loud is it, how huch lighter and did it help the power much?

I like my 496 a lot. 96db is stretching it. I will know at the first race that has a sound check and let you all know. It sounds a bit loud. I called Pro Circuit and they said if it came in above 96 they would "take care of it". Anyway, it's lighter but I don't know by how much. It helped the power a bunch over stock. That's stock with baffle. I never uncorked the stock pipe....just got it out of my sight as quickly as I could.

• Kevin_K

Posted January 01, 2005 - 10:29 PM

Thanks guys, lovin this thing, need to find more places to ride here in nor cal all the good places are getting or are built on now :cry: if anyone knows of some good spots, please let me know :cry:

• Robert_Brazil

Posted January 02, 2005 - 02:22 PM

I just bought a new YZ cam at Zanotti´s for less than US$100 bucks! Great company and they have a part look up in theire site as well

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.