05 Wr450

40 replies to this topic
  • thumper_dad

Posted December 06, 2004 - 06:08 AM

Does anyone have a ride report for the new WR450 (California Model) ?

Just ordered mine Saturday and it wont come in until first week of January.

Thanks

Rich

• PeakRider

Posted December 06, 2004 - 06:32 AM

Do all the free mods and do the JD jetting kit. My 05 runs far stronger than my 03. Bike feels lighter but mostly its the lower center of gravity. You will like the bike.

Posted December 06, 2004 - 09:12 AM

Do all the free mods and do the JD jetting kit. My 05 runs far stronger than my 03. Bike feels lighter but mostly its the lower center of gravity. You will like the bike.

Please explain why your 05' runs much stronger than your 03' :cry:

• chiefsfan.58

Posted December 06, 2004 - 09:44 AM

Hey Dad, I am just finishing up breaking mine in. I rode the bike for the first half of the break-in process bone stock. Wasn't very impressed with the throttle range and knew that I had to get that screw shortened up. So I bought a throttle stop screw for a YZ and pulled mine out and made it look just like the YZ one. Re-installed mine and gave the YZ one to a friend of mine who turned me on to this beast (huge difference with it cut down). While waking up every morning and going into the garage to stare at her, I couldn't wait to mess with something else and did the grey wire mod and pulled the 1/2" dia. cork out of the exhaust tip which opened it up to about 3/4" dia. tip. I had already ordered the JD jet kit but knew it wasn't gonna get to me before I rode it again. I took the bike out and found out that I really really need to re-jet it now! The bike was backfiring little farts when the bike was bone stock from being too lean from the factory as I am told. Now I pretty much had to either run with the choke on all the time or turn it off and raise the idle up so it wouldn't die after I stopped on a trail. This is where I am currently while waiting for my jet kit and Zip Ty fuel screw. Then, I go to school with learning how to re-jet the bike and change the needle (two things I have never done before) :cry: . Hopefully some of this will help you. BTW, I am in So. CA and mainly ride the high desert area.

• Johnny34

Posted December 06, 2004 - 02:14 PM

Hey Thumper_Dad,

I'm curious what you paid for your 05.' Around here (Oregon) they are going for $6,599. I'm trying to get them to go lower plus give me a deal on some new gear. Every dealer I've called has 05's in stock. That's a bummer you have to wait untill January.

I was in Ventura, CA over Thanksgiving and saw one at a dealer for $7,399 +set up, lic, and tax. I couldnt' believe they were asking that much!

• simica

Posted December 06, 2004 - 02:46 PM

Does anyone have a ride report for the new WR450 (California Model) ?

Just ordered mine Saturday and it wont come in until first week of January.

Thanks

Rich

Sorry Dad you won't have one for X-mas and new years! I don't know where you live, but in Ventura County, Ca., Simi Valley Cycles and Thousand Oaks Yamaha should have them in stock. I bet you can get out the door for around $7000 at either of these two dealers.

• 600ish

Posted December 06, 2004 - 03:19 PM

Go to www.dirtrider.com and click on "off-road tests". A teaser of the full review of the '05 WR250 and WR450 in the February issue, which is about 3 weeks away since I received my January issue about a week ago. :cry:

• 450_James

Posted December 06, 2004 - 04:06 PM

Got mine at Bert's Mega Mall in Covina for $6900 OTD. Still waiting on my JD kit too but didn't have any "can't ride without the choke out problem" even aftr opening up the air box.

It's a great ride as is but I know It'll be better after the Jet Kit.

• thumper_dad

Posted December 08, 2004 - 10:33 AM

I paid $7,230 OTD for my 05, Like I said I had to wait in a bit of a line to pick it because of the high demad around here for it.
:cry:

• pr0nd3xtr

Posted December 08, 2004 - 10:36 AM

Hey Thumper_Dad,

I'm curious what you paid for your 05.' Around here (Oregon) they are going for $6,599. I'm trying to get them to go lower plus give me a deal on some new gear. Every dealer I've called has 05's in stock. That's a bummer you have to wait untill January.

I was in Ventura, CA over Thanksgiving and saw one at a dealer for $7,399 +set up, lic, and tax. I couldnt' believe they were asking that much!

There was one last weekend at Thousand Oaks Kawi/Yamaha for $6599 (just noticed your in Oregon - TO is about a half hour from Ventura)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 52wheelz

Posted December 08, 2004 - 12:05 PM

I Picked up my Calif model before Thanksgiving and rode it in the Mojave Desert for three days. Cut the throttle stop, pulled out the muffler restrictor and the thing rips with stock airbox and jetting. It overreved great in second gear up the biggest hills and would also pull third up the same hill.

(this is a hill I use to test bikes. My '99 WR400 wouldn't make it and also my '03 YZ250F and '04 CRF250R won't go up as they run out of horsepower)

This '05 WR450 fells like it has the same power as my '02 YZ426 which was the best hill climber I have owned until now. According to the Yamaha shop manual, the stock jetting is as follows: (Main-165), (Pilot-45), (Needle Clip position-4th position from the top).

I will install the Zip/Ty Fuel screw for easier adjustment and a 48 Pilot Jet because it backfires on deceleration. I have only needed to use the choke to start it when cold. One warmed up, it runs great except for some backfire on deceleration with the throttle closed.

I have now removed the airbox snorkel and have cut out some air holes on the right side of the air box but have not tested these mods yet. From everything I have read, I should not go bigger than a 165 main jet or change the stock needle position. I am hoping the bigger pilot jet fixes the back fire even though it has not created any performance problems. I am also putting on an IMS 3.4 gal tank, Flatland skid plate and flatland radiator guards. I hope these fit as apparently I will be the first to try to mount them on an '05 WR450.

The suspension is great and this WR450 feels lighter than my '04 CRF250X. So far I love this bike. I ride in the Calif desert between 2,500 and 4,500 ft altitude primarily from Nov 1 - April 1. In the summer I ride in the Sierras between 4,000 ft and 10,000 ft.

• barefootbob

Posted December 08, 2004 - 04:36 PM

got my 04 in ukiah ca for 6477 out the door and in the northern ca cycle trader had new 04s 6500 otd while supplys last.

• HarveyMushman

Posted December 08, 2004 - 05:59 PM

Wheelz, I was interested to see your post. I haven't been out to ride my new 05 yet, after reading your post I may wait to change my jetting. I'm riding in the lower deserts so my elevation is around 0 - 1000". and have made the same mods that you have, the plug in the exhaust and throttle screw, gray wire. I think I will get some hours on it with the stock jetting before I make any changes. Tank size is one of my concerns also, please post how the larger tank works out.

• squad56

Posted December 08, 2004 - 06:50 PM

hey chiefs fan, whered ya get the wr?did ya get it from yamaha of cucamonga? and why did you have to order the zipty fuel screw? if you want a better deal on parts go down to montclair yamaha and talk to dusty. he'll hook it up. they are great down there

• orcmike

Posted December 08, 2004 - 08:27 PM

BERT’S? Without checking the going rate… I’ll tell you that you paid too much. The owner of that dealership doesn’t even ride, just makes sure he has a new Porsche every year. Trust me on this.

Got mine at Bert's Mega Mall in Covina for $6900 OTD. Still waiting on my JD kit too but didn't have any "can't ride without the choke out problem" even aftr opening up the air box.

It's a great ride as is but I know It'll be better after the Jet Kit.

• chiefsfan.58

Posted December 09, 2004 - 03:02 AM

Squad, I got my bike at Chaparral in San Bernardino. I didn't have to order the zipty screw I guess, I just ordered it along with my JD jet kit. I haven't really bought many parts yet from any dealer, just some oil n stuff from cucamonga. I will keep the name "Dusty" in mind though when I do need something. I'm still trying to find out the must do's and must get's by studying the threads in this forum.......... My wife thinks I am nuts because I seem as though I am addicted to this website and visit it every chance I get. Maybe its just my over-excitement from it being my first brand new bike :cry:
thanks for the reccomendation Squad

• thumper_dad

Posted December 09, 2004 - 05:39 AM

As far as pricing goes, your not going to get a friggin penny off of sticker because they can't keep the bikes on the shelf, when there sitting on the floor taking up room without any buyers then you will see deals come out.

As for paying too much, what is too much? who cares if someone got there bike for 200 or 300 less its just money, and when its comes to this sport money does buy happiness :cry:

I wouldn't drive over 50 miles to save a $100 bucks.

Wheelz, thanks for the post man, the bike sounds awesome, I cant wait to pick mine up.
The only reason that I am buying this bike is for the Green Sticker. I currently own a 04 YZF450 I just hope the WR has similar power.

Thanks again.

Rich.

• 52wheelz

Posted December 09, 2004 - 09:15 AM

Most of the Yamaha Dealers I have talked with will only get 3-7 WR450's for the whole year depending on the size of the dealer at a rate of 1 or maybe 2 per month. $7,000 OTD seems to be a good deal as of today because they are selling all they can get and the bigger dealers are trying to by WR450's from other dealers because they can't get enough. The green sticker for 2005 is primarily what is making the bike sell so well in Calif as Dealers tell me they haven't been able to sell WR's well for the past several years because they have always been Red Sticker bikes until 2005. The WR250 for 2005 is still a Red Sticker Bike and dealers have plenty of those because of that. The CRF250X Honda sold very well when it came out last year because it was Green Sticker Legal for Calif. Dad, your '04 YZ450F will most likely have more top end HP than the WR because it has different ignition, cam, lighter flywheel, is 24 lbs lighter etc, etc. But the WR has enough power for what I do and will climb the biggest hills I want to go up. The WR's and YZ's have always been and will continue to be very different bikes. It is just that the WR is now so much better than it was 6 years ago that it does everything I want to do with it. 400cc four stroke bikes have been the best all around trail bikes since Honda came out with the XR400. I think the 2005 WR450 is the best trail and desert bike to own if you are only going to own one bike!!!! Honda's CRF250R, CRF250X and CRF450R all have two rings on the piston compared to three on the Yamahas and as a result the Hondas burn a considerable amount of oil. This doesn't affect performance or reliabilty but it is a pain to deal with. Thus, the Yamaha's get the nod in my opinion.

• thumper_dad

Posted December 09, 2004 - 09:28 AM

The YZF450 has more power than I know what to do with, I could never hold it WOT for very long with killing myself.

I was going to buy the 450X but decided to go Blue, the 450X i was hoping had similar suspension to the 250X which I think was the best suspended stock bike I have ever rode.

If I don't like it I can always sell it, The demand is really high.

Rich

• bottomfeeder2

Posted December 09, 2004 - 12:23 PM

As far as pricing goes, your not going to get a friggin penny off of sticker because they can't keep the bikes on the shelf, when there sitting on the floor taking up room without any buyers then you will see deals come out.

Check out
http://www.lacyclesports.com/. Their OTD prices can't be beat. I bought mine there in Nov. It was the most hassle-free transaction I've ever experienced. They get high grades from me. :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.