Just got my '05. Suspension help??

5 replies to this topic
  • mxchase

Posted December 05, 2004 - 04:01 PM

I picked up my 05 450 yesterday. I took it out then and this morning. The suspension is killing me. I'm going to go setup my race sag in a little bit. Hopefully that will help. I weigh 175 w/o gear. I only race intermediate and hopeully I'll be able to move up to pro this next season. I remember back in the day when I was a little more into the whole sport Cycle News would put out articles on the new bikes that would have suspension settings. Like.. a good place to start at least. Does anyone know where to find them, or what they are? Also, don't be shy and share your settings. I just need a good place to start from. I think I may just start where my 03 is but I still will need some help.

• BC3

Posted December 05, 2004 - 04:24 PM

From the experiance I have gathered from my 03 450 if your not riding on a track
and going really fast the thing is probably too stiff for you (was me) I would soften
up the compression dampening setting maybe 6 clicks to start and rebound maybe
half that......write down what you changed if you need to go back its nice to know...
as far as the SAG I have heard several different settings (and have tried several myself)
I wouldn't think much more than 3.5 inches.......again its rider preference.

Hope this helps, BC

• Matt96xr6

Posted December 05, 2004 - 05:08 PM

most everyone I know with 05 bikes has to add about 10-20cc of oil per fork to help with bottoming resistance.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mxchase

Posted December 05, 2004 - 06:51 PM

most everyone I know with 05 bikes has to add about 10-20cc of oil per fork to help with bottoming resistance.

That is a pretty good idea. I already have had a bottoming problem. Even though it is real stiff.

As far as track riding, that's mostly what I have been doing. Where I live the tracks aren't groomed. Mostly its just random people that build them so they get really choppy. When I get into braking bumps I feel like my front end wants to wash out. Also, one track that I was riding has a pretty big double and I didn't get over it all the way a couple times. I kinda just bounced off the top. My old bike seemed to be pretty good for that. It would just soak it up. So, that's rebound right? I think I just need to turn that in a few clicks.

• Matt96xr6

Posted December 05, 2004 - 07:55 PM

Suspension settings is not a one for all thing. Some people like different settings and their riding styles dictate the different settings.

You say the front washes out? well that could be the tire. Get a 742 dunlop for the front for starters. Great tires on the YZFs! But you can also slow down the rebound a bit. I would suggest to read the Ohlin's manual. Some of the best and easiest to understand suspension setup I have read to date:

http://www.ohlins.com/pdf/07251-02.pdf

• mxchase

Posted December 05, 2004 - 10:54 PM

Thanks for the pdf. I know that suspension works different for different people. That's why I just want a good base to start from. I'll read the manual though and see if I can figure it out myself.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.