Yamaha GYTR exhaust???

9 replies to this topic
  • dirtr1der

Posted December 05, 2004 - 09:05 AM

My WR came with this pipe, but no insert. Needless to say it was quite loud when I bought it. I purchased the insert and when I installed it, it not only quieted the bike, but I felt a considerable drop in the low-end "pop." The free mods helped a bit, but not entirely.

Also, my bike will now stall, hot or cold, if I stab it right off idle. I'm not pulling hole shots, just trail riding, but I was considering taking the insert out and wrapping the spark arrestor with one thin layer of packing to dampen the sound a bit. Any suggestions/comments?

I am pretty sure I can meet the 94dB mark with some packing. Will removing that insert bring back some get-up-and-go?

Maybe I shouldn't have ridden the bike so much while that insert was on order, but you know how it is when you get a new bike! :cry:

• Alabama_Rider

Posted December 05, 2004 - 12:13 PM

I bought the GYTR insert and was very disapoointed. It kills the bike, alsmost unrideable. I rejetted and run with stock pipe and no baffle. Runs great.

• rickmiester

Posted December 05, 2004 - 01:01 PM

hey i was riding yesterday at a park in nor cal on a 04 wr450 and had a ranger stop me i was riding stock pipe without baffle and told me to put it back in luckly he did not give me a ticket said they are 85 dollars, so went back to truck and put in a pro moto billet insert in says it down to 94 db but it kills the power so now im in the market for a new silencer that will give me back at least what i had with stock pipe uncorked, any ideas anybody white bros e2, fmf Q pipe what are your thoughts.

• purluvwr450

Posted December 05, 2004 - 01:07 PM

Where you at carnigie when the ranger gave you sh!t about the pipe and if not where, I've been going to Hollister for 5 days now and have had no problems with all mods including cork?

• rickmiester

Posted December 05, 2004 - 02:16 PM

yes i was in the back and ranger on 525 ktm passed him and he turned around and gave us a warning and mentioned a couple of pipes that would pass

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jhteneyck

Posted December 06, 2004 - 04:57 PM

I have that insert as well and it does quiet the bike down but yes you will lose all the grunt the WR is famous for. Try a FMF Q- series pipe- may be just the ticket!!

• dirtr1der

Posted December 07, 2004 - 11:47 AM

Thanks all!

Sorry about the ranger troubles out in Cali! We can avoid them here in Michigan except for holidays.

• don319

Posted December 07, 2004 - 02:11 PM

Backpressure increases low end. Something else is wrong. Maybe the bike is too rich when you put the cap on. My 02 has the GYT and will loft the front end off idle in the 1st three gears.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted December 07, 2004 - 05:31 PM

Backpressure increases low end. Something else is wrong. Maybe the bike is too rich when you put the cap on. My 02 has the GYT and will loft the front end off idle in the 1st three gears.

Have to second this vote. I have the GYTR insert in my stock pipe and I have PLENTY of low-end grunt as well as mid-range.

Top end suffers a tiny, tiny bit, but still plenty good to beat any 250 2-stroke that I've come across.

• mousemeat

Posted December 08, 2004 - 03:52 AM

i got no problems with the Pro Moto Billet insert

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.