Noisy YZ pipe VS restrictive WR pipe

28 replies to this topic
  • Texas4play

Posted December 08, 2004 - 07:09 AM

Thanks Texas, thats what I was unsure about..........whether I would be gaining a thing at all. Hence, my question. Hehe. Would a Pro Moto end cap on my existing stock pipe be a good option in your opinion? Would I gain anything from that? Thanks in advance.

I'm not real sure it will fit. You can always compare your exhaust to your buddies yz pipe. I'd check the snorkle plate to see if it is going to block installation and the outer mounting holes to see if they line up the same.
Will you gain anything? I honestly don't know. Personally I'm leaving my uncorked stock exhaust on for now and spending on suspension until I find an exhaust I can't live without.

• don319

Posted December 08, 2004 - 05:30 PM

The pros run open pipes on closed course competion tracks for racing purposes and big dollars. This is not the same as trail riding on public land or federal and state sponsored riding areas.
How many houses do you drive/ride by that are on the access roads to your favorite off-road riding areas? Here in the Midwest, these areas are quite often surrounded by residential developments. Putting a race exhaust on your trail riding WR or YZ is just not good judgement. Like it or not, the residents carry more power with the local politicos than your weekend riding 5 bucks can buy. The sooner we can convince our fellow riders of this fact the better off we all will be.
I am off the box now. :cry:

• thumpinTed

Posted December 08, 2004 - 06:09 PM

The problem I see in the future with respect to noise issues is dualsport kitted bikes vs. the offroad only bikes. The guys with hard plates can be as loud as harleys where the off road guys get hassled about noise and the hap hazard ways to measure a bikes Db is another matter. Not one after market pipe I have seen does not state that it is illegal for use in CA.

• CISCO

Posted December 08, 2004 - 06:25 PM

I can guarantee you that the extra power or snap provided by your obnoxiously loud pipe does nothing for your riding ability. Steve Hatch, Barry Hawk or just about any other pro out there can whip most of our collective a$$es with a TTR125. Buy the YZ pipe, toss the PMB insert in it, or an FMF Q if you want some inprovement and be quiet...please.

And for those who regularly deny that noise polution is not a PART of our demise is flat out ignorant. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jwriott

Posted December 08, 2004 - 06:25 PM

I had a GYRT insert and a PMB insert in the stock exaust. I think the PMB worked better and seemed less restrictive and easier to jet. I didn't really like either of these that much since they really seemed to keep the heat in the bike way mor than the open, stock exhaust. The silencer was hot for 15-20 minutes after I'd stop. I then switched to the FMF Q and it was close to the open, stock exhaust and way easier to jet than the inserts. I'd say it was definetely louder than the inserts but way less restrictive.

If you can buy one used, go that route, otherwise, I'd get the PMB insert for the YZ silencer.

If restricted pipes make the most hp, then why are all the MotoGP bikes basically running WFO exhausts.? :cry:

• SPUTTER

Posted December 08, 2004 - 08:26 PM

Sylvain,
I also use a YZ pipe on my WR426, the weight difference alone is worth it IMO. Like others here have suggested, I used a PMB spark arrestor and quiet insert - but it was not quiet enough to meet the 96 db test requirements where I ride. I opted to make my own "vortip" style insert for the PMB and was able to tune it for great low-end and midrange at about 94 db. I love the power/sound combination. At the time I made mine, many other TT'rs also made similar units, most of which were discussed in the WR250 forum about a year or two ago. Some of the design info may still be available if you search the site.

• w_ahhh450

Posted December 09, 2004 - 02:18 AM

When I got my YZ pipe off a mate I got hold of some good quality packing around an inch thick (2 sheets) and a pack of thick stuff.
We just wrapped the centre tube really tight and taped it tight with insulation tape then stuffed both ends with the thick stuff and more of the thin top and bottom.
I think it's note is pretty reasonable really, I only notice any noise at the very top of the revs.When other blokes are riding my bike and I'm on theirs it doesn't sound as loud as a stock KTM 525 exc muffler.Got a DVD of a ride of ours and my bike seems quiet in comparison.No actual Db data but I reckon it's quiet enough. :cry:
Just don't use the genuine packing as it is louder(and crap quality :cry: ) than a well packed pipe and burns out really quick.
By the way how are your noise tests done ? is it a static ride-by test at a fixed gear and revs? or do they rely on trackside test or static bike and Db meter at a certain rev limit and distance?

• chiefsfan.58

Posted December 09, 2004 - 02:29 AM

Personally I'm leaving my uncorked stock exhaust on for now and spending on suspension until I find an exhaust I can't live without.

That is a subject that I have not heard much about (read). Nobody seems to be saying much about the suspension on the '05. Is the bike that you are gonna improve the suspension on an '05? Just curious, I am not real knowledgeable on suspension or jetting (carburetion). :cry:

• SPUTTER

Posted December 09, 2004 - 08:16 AM

By the way how are your noise tests done ? is it a static ride-by test at a fixed gear and revs? or do they rely on trackside test or static bike and Db meter at a certain rev limit and distance?

Here in california it is a static bike, Db meter at a certain rev limit and distance

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.