Shop Service Manuals

9 replies to this topic
  • dualsport newbie

Posted December 04, 2004 - 05:23 PM

quick question for the XRR/XRL guru's out there. which is the service manual of choice in honda land? my XR650L owners manual recommends the HELM Service Manual. i've seen some other service manuals from other publishers on the web. which manual do you all prefer?

• 1biglung

Posted December 04, 2004 - 05:35 PM

Get the factory service manual. I got a Clymer with my bike and it's a POS. Even has wrong specs for the valve clearance.

Costs a little more but worth it

My .02

• AzMtnThumper

Posted December 05, 2004 - 09:07 AM

The Helm is the factory service manual....that's the one you want. :cry:

• Misfit

Posted December 05, 2004 - 10:13 AM

Yea what these guys said just get the factory manual the only thing is I think its a little expensive. Back when we had our quads we got the service manual from yamaha and it was around $50.00.

• big t

Posted December 05, 2004 - 11:23 AM

Factory service manual. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Weirdo

Posted December 05, 2004 - 02:53 PM

Dude, I downloaded the European version from the 'Pig Pen' website. I believe that for all intents and purposes it is identical. :cry: I printed it out, put the pages in protective sleeves and placed them in a three ring binder. Two binders to be exact. So now I can reference the manual with grubby, oily hands without messing up the pages.... of course it is about 4 times larger, is in two volumes. I also have other information that I have downloaded even some informative 'thread' answers that I have placed in these binders. So its all together. :cry: my own little referenc library per say....

anyhoot. ride on..... :cry:

• dualsport newbie

Posted December 05, 2004 - 07:17 PM

The Helm is the factory service manual....that's the one you want. :cry:

thanks for the advice. glad too hear that because i already purchased the Helm XR650L Service Manual. the only problem is that in looking through this it keeps referring to the Honda "Common Service Manual" for detailed instructions. roughly 75% of the maintenance items say to see the Common Service Manual for instructions. wow!

do i need to invest in the Common Manual as well? or am i going to find that i am just going to be referred to a 3rd manual????? does anyone find that the bike manual is enough and that the common manual is useless? any thoughts??

i certainly don't mind spending the money if this will complete the knowledge base and allow me to service my bike, i just don't want to drop another $50 and find that it just collects dust............

• HairyScary

Posted December 05, 2004 - 07:41 PM

Somebody posted a link to the Common Service Manual - a mediocre scanned version in PDF - I think it was here on TT to be honest - maybe 6 mo or more ago (could have been XR4/2 forum) . Anyway I had a quick browse over it and the "detailed instructions" were more aimed at people who had no (or little) mechanical background. It had sections trying to explain how trannys worked, how carbs worked, how electrical worked, etc. without being model specific. It was OK to thumb thru, but I wouldn't rank it as a necessity if you've been working on bikes before and know your way around.

• smashinz2002

Posted December 05, 2004 - 09:39 PM

Get the Honda Factory Service Manual, that's the one you need.

• zx7rye

Posted December 06, 2004 - 05:11 AM

There is a guy selling Honda Factory copies on ebay. I bought one for $40 shipped and it is complete with hundreds of pictures ...and fairly clear pictures for a copy. He binds it too. Good quality....if you don't mind a lil' copyright infringement. LOL.

Related Content

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.