2003 450 Battery Replacement

3 replies to this topic
  • ETP

Posted December 04, 2004 - 12:34 PM

My 03 stock battery is getting weak. Almost 2 years old now. Won't hold a charge. Its a Yuasa, # YT275 MF.
Has anyone found a better aftermarket replacement that will fit in the same compartment, or is the stock replacement the best option?
Thanks

• Hamish

Posted December 04, 2004 - 02:17 PM

I'd be checking your regulator/rectifier first, as Yuasa batteries are generally high quality and should last longer than 1 year. Check that your charge voltage is around 13.8 volts. If it goes much over 14 volts when you give it a rev your reg/rect could be overcharging the battery, which will kill it much quicker than normal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • orcmike

Posted December 04, 2004 - 07:16 PM

I thought the same thing on my '03. Bought a battery tender and all is good now.

Mike Hobbs
www.off-road.com

• ETP

Posted December 05, 2004 - 04:12 PM

Last week I needed to kick the bike to get it started (Bike had been sitting for 2 weeks), then it would E start after short stops. I turned on the DS kit, after about 4 hours of riding, and the battery did not have enough juice to sound the horn unless I had it revving real high. I assumed the battery was getting weak. The metered voltage was 12.6V at the battery later that night, however there was not enough energy to E start the bike.
Charging voltage is around 13.5-14.7V.
Took the battery out today and charged it for a while. Now seems to be OK.

Have any of you 03 owners had to replace your batteries yet?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.