Quiet in California

6 replies to this topic
  • rakkno

Posted December 04, 2004 - 10:41 AM

I have a 2001 YZ 426. I got stopped because my bike is too loud. I repacked the Exhaust and added a quiet baffle to my White Bros pipe and now it really seems to hesitate when you crack the throttle. I read the post about changing jets for cold weather. I did the pipe and rode the first time when it was quite a bit colder. Any help would be appreciated. :cry:

• grayracer513

Posted December 04, 2004 - 12:49 PM

If your WB is the old R4, they are notoriously loud. The "quite baffle" for the one on my son's 250F is just a washer with a little screen on it, so I can only imagine how badly it affects performance.

If it's an R4, your best bet, unfortunately, is going to be to replace it. My 450 with its 17" FMF Ti4 is much quieter (no numbers available) than the 250, and guys pretty generally rave about the FMF Q series.

• OldenPhatt

Posted December 04, 2004 - 03:44 PM

I've got the PMB endcap with the spark arrestor included and I'm pretty happy with it. I'm under 96db (I've never actually been tested but all the rangers tell me that they know this unit, it always passes and I should enjoy my day) I got mine for $99 and installation was a snap.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted December 04, 2004 - 05:48 PM

ive got a PMB end cap too but mine is nowhere near 96. but then again, my silencer is cut 3-4 inches and ice modified the end cap. im thinkin more like 100-105.

• rakkno

Posted December 04, 2004 - 10:50 PM

Previous to my repacking I was at 106 Db now I am at 95 but it just runs so bad it really is no fun to ride. I guess I need to step up and buy a new pipe. Bummer because the WB is like new. Thanks for the help. This is really cool.

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 05, 2004 - 05:26 AM

If you must ride quiet all the time, spend the cash for an FMF Q-series exhaust. Of all the reviews that I have read, the Q seems to be the best when compared against other pipes that are corked up to be quiet.

• myoung

Posted December 05, 2004 - 10:35 AM

I too have an R4 and am pretty disappionted about this whole sound issue. I personnaly love the way my R4 is supposed to sound, but to cork it up takes so much power away that it becomes a bad trade off. I looked at a lot of different designs of quiet cores, but they all have the same power robbing effect, where as a specific designed quiet muffler will perform better than most add-on quiet cores.

Another issue is the fact that the R4 has been discontinued so there will be no more 'new' designs of quiet cores made for the R4 that would actually work. The only other possibility I can see right now is the quiet core in the new E2 my buddy just bought looks like it could possibly fit where the screen goes in the R4, but at this point I haven't tried it yet. So far it looks like I'll just plan on getting another pipe for 'sound' areas and keep my R4 for everywhere else. Haven't been to a sound checked area for quite a while though so I still haven't bought a quiet pipe yet.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.