aftermarket tank

19 replies to this topic
  • dualsport newbie

Posted December 04, 2004 - 02:15 AM

looking for some feedback on aftermarket tanks? which is preferred for an XR650L, the Clarke or IMS?

• Misfit

Posted December 04, 2004 - 06:21 AM

I have a white clarke 4.7 gal tank on mine and it looks good and fits great. Now if I could only find some cool graphics for it lol. :cry:

• roadcam

Posted December 04, 2004 - 07:08 AM

I have the IMS 4.0 gallon tank, and am very happy with its construction ... I did a Web search for decals and stickers, and ordered a couple of Big Red Pig (Arkansas Razorback, actually) stickers for mine ...

• Max_Aus

Posted December 04, 2004 - 05:36 PM

I put the Clarke 4.7 Gal on, looks great, excellent finish, fits great with the exception of the blinkers and the barkbuster handlebar clamps they hit the tank on full lock. To fix this I put on tripple clamp barkbuster mounts (unclutters the bars) this also fixed the blinkers by moving them further out front of the tripple clamp, then put some bar raisers on, great for standing up. much more comfortable.
----------------------
XR650L too many mods

• 1biglung

Posted December 04, 2004 - 05:53 PM

I have the Acerbis 5.0 Gal and love the range. Another option if you want a tank that big.

Fits good as well

• yooper_porkchop

Posted December 04, 2004 - 06:25 PM

I have the Clarke 4.7 and am very pleased with it, love the range it offers.

• michaeln

Posted December 05, 2004 - 05:10 AM

I had a white IMS 4 gallon on my L when the bike was white. It works and fits very well, but the finish is pretty dull and the white didn't match the stock white stuff. It also started to discolor.

When I decided to make my bike all black I went with the Clarke 4.0 in black. The finish is glossy, the workmanship is great. I prefer the Clarke. I still have the white IMS tank if anyone is interestedl. It has perforated '98 XR650L graphics on it too.

• rokklym

Posted December 05, 2004 - 11:00 AM

Can anyone post pics of bikes equiped with the Clarke 4.7 and 4.0 gallon tanks?
I have seen the 4.0 before and thought it looked good but would like to see some comparison pics.

• yooper_porkchop

Posted December 05, 2004 - 11:10 AM

pm me with your e mail address and I will send you some of the clarke on my 01 XRL, no graphics on the tank just bare.

• michaeln

Posted December 05, 2004 - 03:17 PM

Can anyone post pics of bikes equiped with the Clarke 4.7 and 4.0 gallon tanks?
I have seen the 4.0 before and thought it looked good but would like to see some comparison pics.

Here's my bike with the Clarke 4.0 in black:

http://home.comcast...._alpinerear.jpg

http://home.comcast....el/mymotard.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • michaeln

Posted December 06, 2004 - 07:18 AM

I still have the white IMS tank if anyone is interestedl. It has perforated '98 XR650L graphics on it too.

Sorry, I didn't think this through. Yes, I have it, but I don't have a box big enough to ship it anywhere in. I'll have to sell it locally in the SF Bay Area.

• MCCOYBOY

Posted December 06, 2004 - 08:55 AM

What do you want for it? I will send you a box to ship it back to me in if you can't find one.

• smichael1

Posted December 07, 2004 - 06:04 PM

I went with the Clark 4.7 on my '05 650L. I have good access to the oil dipstick and not clearance problems when turning, I do however feel the added weight though.

• dualsport newbie

Posted December 07, 2004 - 07:02 PM

I went with the Clark 4.7 on my '05 650L. I have good access to the oil dipstick and not clearance problems when turning, I do however feel the added weight though.

smichael1 - could you post a picture of your bike so i can get a look at the clarke 4.7? i have the same bike and am torn between the 4.0 and the 4.7. where did you buy your tank?

• DaveL

Posted December 08, 2004 - 05:25 PM

Do you still have this tank? If so does it have the round or square inserts for the rad shoud screws?

Thanks,

Dave

• mikekay

Posted December 08, 2004 - 05:43 PM

I mailed an Acerbis 3.6 gallon tank cross county a couple months ago without any box--sent it to SRC.net for some custom work--they then sent it back to me--Just wrote the addresses with a black marker and the dude weighed it and took it....man did it stink like gas--even after i tried cleaning it out. Not sure if its legal or not--i didnt have the cap on it, and i unbolted the petcock....anyway--just an idea for ya!

• dualsport newbie

Posted December 09, 2004 - 02:06 PM

ok. so i just spoke with one of the guys at Baja Designs. they carry the ims 4.0 and do not carry the clarke 4.0. he was telling me that the ims is a better quality tank. what do you guys think? i am still trying to decide between the ims 4.0 and the clarke 4.0.

• Dual_Dog

Posted December 09, 2004 - 05:45 PM

Check out my reply to your low profile tail light question. That's a white Clarke 4.0 on that bad boy 98 of mine.

It fits well and it's not too wide. It's turning brown from my riding pants because I do a lot of off-roading. The major issue with (any) aftermarket tank is lateral stability, which hasn't been accounted for by any of the manufacturers, Acerbic, Clarke or IMS.

There is a spar or lobe brace on the Clarke tank that you can adapt a custom bracket to for shoring up the side-to-side movement. It'll end up clamping over the spar and bolting onto one (or both) of the defunct air scoop tabs already on the frame down tube. This is what I did and its just about as bullet-proof as it gets, and that's what I'm all about since I pound my bike in the dirt. The added range outweighs any drawbacks encountered during the installation.

I've got a 3.9 IMS I just installed on my '04 LTZ400 Suzi Quadsport and it fits really well, not that this is any indication of the fitment of the IMS on the XRL, but it is of good quality also. Either tank will do fine.

Happy moddin'

• yooper_porkchop

Posted December 09, 2004 - 06:19 PM

One thing I found out when researching the aftermarket tanks was clearance for the turn signals up frony, the Clarke has indents molded in the tank so this isn't a problem, I remember that being an issue with the others. If you want to see a picture of the 4.7 on a L pm me your e mail I 'll send you a picture of what it looks like from the side.

• HooliKen

Posted December 09, 2004 - 07:06 PM

Here's my bike with the Clarke 4.0 in black:

Dude the black looks awesome on that bike!!

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.