Too Much Oil??

12 replies to this topic
  • dualsport newbie

Posted December 03, 2004 - 11:39 PM

Some of you may recognize my name as the one who posted the oil shortage snafu last week. I definately demonstrated my mechanical shortcomings in a professional manner. I was the one who thought that my new XR650L was way short on oil. When more than likely it was probably a whole lot less short that I had thought. Anyway, I dumped 1.75 qts into her like a madman and rode home.

Not being sure if my bike had too much oil or not, I ended up just draining all of the oil and doing a full oil & filter change. It looks like the bike may have been a little low, but probably not 1.75 qts low. Well, lesson learned! That being said, the 1.75 qts that I added and then rode the bike home (approx. 14 miles), I was probably anywhere from .75 to 1.25 qrts over the recommended 2.0 qtrs. Would riding 14 miles with that much excess oil cause any permanent damage? Since the oil change, and the recommended volume of oil in it, the bike seems to be running fine. I checked the air filter to see if any oild was "puked" in the air box (I read that that can be an indicator of too much oil). What do you guy's think?

Does continuing to ask TT's these worrysome questions put me into a special remedial class in the TT universe?

• big t

Posted December 04, 2004 - 02:31 AM

It will be all right. Now you have the correct amount of oil and it is running good just ride it. Just make sure next time you check the oil ride it for awhile to make sure it is hot enough.

• frankstr

Posted December 04, 2004 - 05:30 AM

It will be all right. Now you have the correct amount of oil and it is running good just ride it. Just make sure next time you check the oil ride it for awhile to make sure it is hot enough.

What Big T said ,Ride the bike ,no leaks no worry :cry:
Just follow the instructions in the operating manual carefully when checking oil and other maintance items :cry:
And no I don't think your in that remedial class...yet :cry:

• Misfit

Posted December 04, 2004 - 06:18 AM

Yeah what these guys said just put in the recommended ammount I think its a little over 2quarts if you change the filter. Now I have a question, it seems every time i change my oil which is about every 500 miles somtimes less I try to put in 2quarts but it always overflows right before I put 2 quarts in I dont know why it does that? Any ideas? :cry:

• michaeln

Posted December 04, 2004 - 07:34 AM

You have to put in 1 quart, then start the engine and run it for a few minutes. Shut it off, then put in the other quart.

• Miker

Posted December 04, 2004 - 07:39 AM

:cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Roll_it_on

Posted December 04, 2004 - 08:47 AM

Dualsport Newbie - What are you going to change your name to after you get all this bike stuff down? Your name won't fit when you have a high post count and you are giving advise to all the new bike owners with oil questions :cry:

• dualsport newbie

Posted December 04, 2004 - 05:20 PM

Dualsport Newbie - What are you going to change your name to after you get all this bike stuff down? Your name won't fit when you have a high post count and you are giving advise to all the new bike owners with oil questions :cry:

agreed. once i get all of the knowledge absorbed from experienced dual-sporters and am prepared to be giving advice, i can't very well post with confidence under the "dualsport newbie" name. i can just see the reponses to any advice i pass along: "hay dualsport newbie, done any oil changes lately?"; "stripped any bolts lately?"; or "hey dualsport newbie, could you walk me through the procedure for accurately checking your oil?". every sarcastic comment would be justifiable, mind you, but it might cause those seeking advice to take my comments with a grain (or maybe a truckload) of salt. i was thinking of changing it to "dualsport guru in training (ds_git)". gotta nice ring to it, eh?

• Misfit

Posted December 04, 2004 - 05:51 PM

Thanx for the tip michaeln ill try that next time i change my oil. :cry:

• smashinz2002

Posted December 04, 2004 - 09:06 PM

No prob dude, that's what this forum is for. To learn things about your bike that you didn't know. I don't think anyone would give a guy a hard time just because they don't know something. We are all willing to help a fellow rider.
To add something else here; a good piece of advice is to purchase a Honda Shop Manual for your bike. It's worth the money.

LL.
'00XR650R/uncorked/jetted/street legal
'04KX500/fmfgnarly/vforce reeds/illegal

• Misfit

Posted December 05, 2004 - 05:58 AM

Yea im planning on getting one of those manuals in the near future. :cry:

• thumper245

Posted December 05, 2004 - 10:27 PM

When I bought my 650L I also asked for a shop manual and they gave me a service manual that says that it is by Honda. I think that it is worthless and a wast of money. Two of the guys that I ride with have the exact same one from the same shop and think the same thing. That is what I think. I hope that you have better luck than I have. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol: :cry:

• MotoChris521

Posted December 06, 2004 - 06:18 AM

You have to put in 1 quart, then start the engine and run it for a few minutes. Shut it off, then put in the other quart.

You dont HAVE to start it.If your not in a hurry,you can add 1.5 quarts ,let it sit for around fifteen min. then add the remaining .5 quart. :cry:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.