Clutch basket Free play

5 replies to this topic
  • NuTbAg

Posted December 03, 2004 - 04:27 PM

Hi Fokes I'm in the middle of a complete tear down and as I'm putting it back together i can pull the clutch asy and tranny gear forward :cry: :cry:

I looked at it over and over and i didn't forget any parts but it moves in and out about 1/2 that of a single friction disk.

From looking into crank shaft hole i can see the tranny gear is moving it's kinda like a missing trust washer but not quit as much.

I just didn't thing or notice before and getting worried and don't want to keep going until I'm sure or not if it's normal to have side to side play (IN&OUT) in that tranny shaft.

Thanks for any help

mark

• BC3

Posted December 04, 2004 - 02:47 PM

Did you split the cases? And if you did was the main shaft or lay shaft disassembled?
There are too many items that are unknown by us to answer your question good enough to help you.....more info would help...like are you sure you installed the correct thrust washers before putting the cases back together.....The clutch hub preloads the main shaft with the clutch nut.....spacers installed ......Pictures...all this stuff helps..
Because were not there.....

BC

• NuTbAg

Posted December 07, 2004 - 03:52 PM

I'm sorry i should have tried better.but the best thing i can say is i checked a micro fiche and all the parts are there. i did split the case but followed the install direction to the letter. and have no extra parts left

I did notice the thrust washer behind the clutch boss didn't really sit on the splines.it just slide on and flops around in the lower grove section.

If you grab the clutch asy (complete) with 1 hand on each side you can move it in and out about 1-2mm. the gear shaft it bolts to moves with it.

I don't have a picture but can use a little help if this is normal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Four Fiddie

Posted May 15, 2005 - 03:42 PM

Im having the same exact problem is this normal?

• 02YZ426

Posted May 15, 2005 - 03:51 PM

1-2mm doesn't sound too bad. I cant remember for sure but I think when I had mine apart it did have some play. If its more than that then maybe something is the matter. Remember that a little play could be there to allow for oil, I know oil will generally use up a thou or two in play. But I cant say for sure if its supposed to be like that or not.

• 02YZ426

Posted May 15, 2005 - 04:00 PM

If you grab the clutch asy (complete) with 1 hand on each side you can move it in and out about 1-2mm. the gear shaft it bolts to moves with it

Can you move is side to side aswell?? meaning that if your holding it with both hands your pushing one side in and pulling the other out. know what I mean? because I know mine does this for sure, it did it with the stock basket and with the Hinson. But that was the basket moving on the shaft not everything together.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.