Aluminum frame in 2006?

18 replies to this topic
  • NOR_CAL_WR

Posted December 03, 2004 - 09:23 AM

I have heard the rumors, but I don't recall reading anything that verifies it in the magazines or on here? I did a brief search on this but came up short. I am looking at buying a 05 but may wait until next year if they have aluminum frames. I just really like the looks and the fact that the paint won't scratch off and then start to rust. Allthough my CRF was a freakin rattle trap that I assumed was beacause of the frame :cry: Anyways, can anyone confirm this before I make my purchase? I am not really concerned with the couple of pounds that it will lose.

• BURLEY

Posted December 03, 2004 - 09:29 AM

I know that's the direction Yami is heading. If it's '06 or not is anyone's guess but it wouldn't suprise me now that the 2 smokes are, as our British TT friends would say, "Al you minium."

• woodsk

Posted December 03, 2004 - 11:23 AM

My guess would be YZF get alum frames in '06 and WR in '07

• Endurordr

Posted December 03, 2004 - 12:02 PM

I'm going to have to agree with this. Look to see it in the YZ before the WR. If the YZ's don't see it in '06 then I would have to imagine they would see it in '07 and the WR's the following year. But as with anything I personally wouldn't buy a first year bike with a MAJOR change, i.e. frame, engine, etc. Look at all the improvements Honda did with their alum. frame after the first year. So with this being said, I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a Alum. frame WR until possibly '08 or '09, and buy that time I should be ready to sell my '04 for a new bike. But's it's anyone's guess when/if the WR's will be aluminum framed. :cry: Until that time comes, I wouldn't hesitate buying an '05 and enjoying it for years to come.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 03, 2004 - 12:24 PM

Dont forget "The Riddle of Steel" ! :cry: I prefer steel frames for enduro bikes anyway. :cry:

• bottomfeeder2

Posted December 03, 2004 - 12:47 PM

Jeez Nor_Cal,

You get a green sticker on your '05. What more do you want? :cry:

• patrickincc

Posted December 03, 2004 - 01:25 PM

aluminum is nice but does not have the flex that steel does. I have a CRF 250 X and now just bought a new WR 450. I think its all in what you want. If it works and works well, and if you think that you ride so well that you will totally notice the difference, wait to see what they have in 2006. I was going to wait for a 450 x but everyone told me if I wanted dependability go with the yamaha and from what I read I have to a agree. So its either you wait for the coors can, or you get can of tomato soup.

• RADRick

Posted December 03, 2004 - 10:32 PM

Personally, I wouldn't buy a bike with an aluminum frame unless I was racing and expected to keep the bike only 2 years or less. Aluminum fatigues and doesn't hold tolerance as well as steel. Repairing a steel frame is a heck of a lot easier than aluminum, especially if there is welding involved. The Hondas use a massive extruded twin spar design that has nothing in common with a steel frame and holds up fairly well. The Yamaha is a dimensionally lightweight copy of the steel version and I won't be surprised if it shows problems once more of them start leaving the showrooms.

Rick A. Diaz
www.mcjournalist.com
I ride, therefore I am. :cry:

• NOR_CAL_WR

Posted December 06, 2004 - 08:01 AM

Yeah screw it. I don't want to wait any longer as I am only riding a 250F right now and just really want the power right now. Looks like I am in for a 05 and I'll get the aluminum frame after the kinks have been worked out like someone said.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted December 06, 2004 - 08:13 AM

I'm gonna go with this opinion too... I'm also thinkin that the YZF450 will not only get an aluminum frame but I've heard small talk about it going back to a 5 speed. My bet is that the WR will stay the same as the 05's..

Only my opinion...

• mousemeat

Posted December 06, 2004 - 08:15 AM

Aluminum fatigues and doesn't hold tolerance as well as steel.

This is misleading. All metals fatigue to a certain degree. However, as it is with bicycles, alumin(i)um frames tend not to crack from fatigue, but from crashing. To make the frame stiff enough, it has to use enough material that fatigue is not a problem. Overload steel, and it too will fatigue. Throw in the effects of corrosion-fatigue and you are even worse off.

Your piston does more cycles in one hour than your frame does in its entire life, and it seems to be ok...

Bring on the ally frames. Hopefully yamaha goes ahead and copies honda, cause they have it right.

• jchantzWR400F

Posted December 06, 2004 - 02:09 PM

You guys have to keep in mind though, from a mass production standpoint, why manufacture 2 different frames? When you can manufacture 1 frame and make it work for the yz250/450 and wr250/450. Keep in mind, it's the Japanese that are building these bikes and production efficiency is paramount to them. They couldn't care less if a steel frame is better for a enduro bike. :cry:

• ddialogue

Posted December 06, 2004 - 04:25 PM

Bring on the aluminum frame AND the F.I.!!! :cry:

• RADRick

Posted December 06, 2004 - 08:44 PM

This is misleading. All metals fatigue to a certain degree. However, as it is with bicycles, alumin(i)um frames tend not to crack from fatigue, but from crashing. To make the frame stiff enough, it has to use enough material that fatigue is not a problem. Overload steel, and it too will fatigue. Throw in the effects of corrosion-fatigue and you are even worse off.

Bring on the ally frames. Hopefully yamaha goes ahead and copies honda, cause they have it right.

Have you seen the new Yamaha YZ aluminum frame? It is an exact copy of the steel frame with hydrocast parts in the curves and mounts. To save weight, many of the parts are relieved, i.e. they have hollows in them. I tend to keep my bikes for a number of years so I would not like to see this design take over the production line. By the time I'm ready to trade in my new WR450F I hope there'll still be steel framed models to choose from. If not, then I'll probably go to Honda because their Aluminum frame is by far superior to what Yamaha is currently offering. I agree with what you said above, but making an aluminum frame that is an almost dimensionally exact copy of the steel version is a mistake. Like I said, only a racer who changes bikes every year would likely be happy with this iteration. Steel is more likely to crack where aluminum will only bend, but I'd rather fix a cracked steel frame than have a bent aluminum one that shows no signs of damage.

RADRick
www.mcjournalist.com

• mousemeat

Posted December 07, 2004 - 03:02 AM

Cracking vs Bending depends on metallurgy and heat treating. You could get either material to fail either way. Strength vs. Toughness is the primary tradeoff in materials selection. I agree there isnt a whole lot of point using a dimensionally similar frame made of ally rather than steel. Strength/Weight is the same for good ally and good steel. The difference is that as ally is less dense, you can make larger diameters and still have an acceptable wall thickness. A new material should necessitate a new design. Hopefully yamaha realizes that what most of us want is the yamaha engine in the Honda frame and then copies the best bit of the CRF.

• Indy_WR450

Posted December 07, 2004 - 05:00 AM

Bring on the aluminum frame AND the F.I.!!! :cry:

I agree bring on the Fuel Injection !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :lol: :D

• Math

Posted December 08, 2004 - 11:52 AM

I think that because of mass production matters, the ally frame is going to arrive in the YZF and WRF at the same time.

• ncmountainman

Posted December 08, 2004 - 08:06 PM

did the yzf frames for 05 have the same changes as the wr frames?

• chipwich

Posted December 09, 2004 - 10:25 PM

a 5 speed aluminum yz450f would be very nice. would look great next to the wr.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.