450 coil

4 replies to this topic
  • tonka426

Posted December 03, 2004 - 06:15 AM

Has anyone put a 450 coil on a 426? I know you can do the Dubach set up. Just wondering. I found the threads w/the coil info but most of the pics are not there now. Also has the connector issue been resolved? any p#'s will help.

• Fastest1

Posted December 03, 2004 - 07:39 AM

Check out any modern bike set up, they should swap. I am personally running a coil from a Hayabusa (2000-2001). The R6 has a similar set up. The factor will be the length from the rubber seal to the tip. The Hayabusa coil fit perfect as I would think any of the GSXR coils would. I was the one who made the issue of the connectors, I forgot to get it when buying the coil from the salvage yard and had to make a second trip and pay some more. I dont think I would have been charged if I would have asked for it when getting the coil. I have heard people say that the connector is readily available, however I live in Houston with access to many specialty parts warehouses and stores, and I nor anyone else seem to find that connector. I also havent seen anyone here on TT disclose a source to get the plug. Get all the parts from a salvage yard, dont be all excited about what you are about to do and it shouldnt cost more than 40 bucks with the connector. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jackazz

Posted December 03, 2004 - 08:40 AM

Forgive my ignorance, but is there some sort of performance advantage to doing this or is it simply a cost effective replacement idea?

• ncmountainman

Posted December 03, 2004 - 09:29 AM

i don't think the older bikes had the coil over plug setup? and if there is an advantage to the hyabusa coil i might just try one! what about that dang resistor can it be removed/replaced with brass rod without doing any damage to the CDI because i could care less about tv/radio interferance if it will eliminate future failure(the xr fellers say they fail on them occasionally) and it has to hinder some juice to the plug? :cry: :cry:

• grayracer513

Posted December 03, 2004 - 09:35 AM

The most important consideration is whether the lack of a resistor will interfere with the operation of the CDI unit. RF radiation can make them do goofy things.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  91 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.