RPM Counter / REV Counter

11 replies to this topic
  • dangermouse007

Posted December 03, 2004 - 04:13 AM

Hi all,

Anybody using a RPM Counter or REV Counter on there bikes if so which and how easy was it to install...????

Thanks in advance....

• 5valve

Posted December 03, 2004 - 07:23 AM

I wanted to, but didnt like keeping to many gadgets on
for some I know they are connected to tha spark plug or coil
when buying, notice that 2T use diffrent than 4T

• Hamish

Posted December 03, 2004 - 01:50 PM

get a honda hourmeter. Inductive off the plug lead, 5 min job to install.

• Brettv

Posted December 04, 2004 - 01:47 AM

Hamish, im interested in the honda meter, i looked on ebay and found the yellow hour meter, the one you have does it include the tacho? and how much did u pay here in aus?

• Hamish

Posted December 04, 2004 - 02:58 AM

it includes a tacho, goes to 10,000RPM in 20 rpm incriments if I remember correctly. It's a bit slow to update (about 0.5 sec I guess). I paid about $140 from a Honda stealer, which I thought was pretty good as the standard moto minder is about $130.

• ISBB

Posted December 05, 2004 - 01:00 AM

dont have time to look down at gauges to busy trying not to fall OFF my bike...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr250f_gixxer

Posted December 06, 2004 - 03:29 AM

I recently bought a used tachometer from Yamaha (an inductive one), see link.

First I fitted I to my car since I wanted it to “start” at 100 hours instead of 96.3 hours. That was extremely easy took 30 seconds and three plastic straps. Yesterday I tried to fit it to my bike, an WR250F 2003. It should have been very easy but I was fooled by a rumor that said that it was possible to wrap the wire around the orange wire leading to the sparkplug :cry: . The rumor stated that you just needed to warp it 6-10 times around instead of 3 if you have an WR -02. I can now kill that rumor :cry: . I tried to wrap the wire 6 times around, 12 times around. I tried to wrap it around the black wire and so on. The fact of the matter is that you need to wrap the inductive wire around the inductive sparkplug coil. Once I did that everything worked fine. It’s not pretty but it works…

So in conclusion, if you wrap the inductive wire a round the inductive sparkplug coil straight a way, the mounting of the tachometer is very easy and it should not take more than 20-30 minutes all in all (removing the tank, wrapping and strapping the wire, put back tank).

Hope this helps some what and good luck :cry: .

• Hamish

Posted December 06, 2004 - 12:22 PM

Hmm..that sucks. Mine had a clip that you attatch to the plug lead. Even came with a special seal to prevent tampering. Was a 2 minute job, clip the wire to the lead and mount the display.

• dangermouse007

Posted December 07, 2004 - 12:36 AM

Thanks for all you advice guys :cry:

• N7SLC

Posted December 07, 2004 - 04:30 PM

How about http://www.tinytach.com ?

A lot of the DRZ guys are using the commercial one and it goes to
19,000... :cry:

• Garry

Posted December 07, 2004 - 06:51 PM

You may want to consider a G.P.T. engineering tacho.

http://www.gpt.it/po...rpm english.htm

Larger display than the others and more flexible:
Digital Multifunctional Engine Tachemeter, universal applications 2 or 4 strokes, from 1 to 24 cilinders, max 25.000 rpms, alarm limit rpm engine hours

Has a refresh rate of a little less than 0.5s
Distributors in most countries

Will readily adapt to your next 24 cylinder dirtbike.

Some interesting bike management technology from this
company as well.

• dangermouse007

Posted December 08, 2004 - 04:29 AM

Just checked out Tiny, they have a dealer in the UK, just mailed for price

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.