Glowing Header solution?

19 replies to this topic
  • Carbon450

Posted December 03, 2004 - 01:00 AM

Who has fixed the red hot pipe with the pilot jet? I dont believe that a glowing pipe is ok. Glowing pipes are sign's of overheating combustion chambers..... or super retarded ignition timing. Anyone have the ignition curves or suggested pilot jet sizes for sea level? :cry:

• sirthumpalot

Posted December 03, 2004 - 03:36 AM

A glowing header is perfectly fine on these bikes.

• flyinguitars

Posted December 03, 2004 - 06:41 AM

Dont worry...it aint no thang

• Ga426owner

Posted December 03, 2004 - 06:58 AM

Carbon450 - your stainless header is more prone to glowing than a titanium header

• craft

Posted December 03, 2004 - 07:08 AM

If you let your bike idle a while, it'll glow. It's not glowing when you're riding though, hopefully. If it is, then you might want to be concerned. But if its just while idling, turn it off. Start it back up when you're ready to roll. :cry:

• Fastest1

Posted December 03, 2004 - 07:30 AM

Some times it will glow if you are riding at night in trails. Thin metals will glow easy too. Ever seen a Top fuel car at night? They glow, and I am pretty sure they are running well! :cry:

• don319

Posted December 03, 2004 - 09:56 AM

I fixed it! Little lever on left bottom, push down. Right twisty thing on bar, twist. Release lever on left bar, ride forward.

• grayracer513

Posted December 03, 2004 - 09:58 AM

Think about what your combustion chamber looks like (it's crowded with valves and a spark plug), and then tell me where the coolant comes in contact with the combustion chamber dome. With the reduced coolant circulation speed at idle, and a lack of air flow over the radiators, the heat basically has to go out the exhaust for lack of anywhere else to go.

Couple that with a titanium head pipe with a wall thickness of barely .040", and you're going to have a red exhaust in no time.

The high intensity modern four stroke does not like extended idling. Ride it or shut it down. Your bike is OK. :cry:

• craft

Posted December 03, 2004 - 11:17 AM

I fixed it! Little lever on left bottom, push down. Right twisty thing on bar, twist. Release lever on left bar, ride forward.

Now that's funny! :cry:

• Fastest1

Posted December 03, 2004 - 02:28 PM

[quote name='grayracer513']Think about what your combustion chamber looks like (it's crowded with valves and a spark plug), and then tell me where the coolant comes in contact with the combustion chamber dome. With the reduced coolant circulation speed at idle, and a lack of air flow over the radiators, the heat basically has to go out the exhaust for lack of anywhere else to go.

Coolant flow will not reduce exhaust gas temperature enough to amount to anything, it will keep the cylinder and head cooler allowing them to perform correctly but that is about it. EGT's will remain about the same. Of course airflow over the pipe under speed cools the pipe. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • quartzite

Posted December 03, 2004 - 02:53 PM

I concur with others, it's pretty standard on these Yammys. I posted this problem a while ago on another forum and some rud3boi said, "just go, stupid, it's a dirt bike"

still, he was right...

Just don't do what my friend did-he tapped his red hot pipe with a nail and had to replace it... :cry:

It looks freaky at night when you see it the first time though!

• adrian

Posted December 03, 2004 - 05:21 PM

Myself and a friend put a temp reader on the header pipe and came up with 1400 degrees,that sucker is gonna glow red!!

• BC3

Posted December 03, 2004 - 05:39 PM

This is about the tenth time I have heard someone inquire about the
[COLOR=Red]"GLOWING PIPE"[/COLOR] since ALL the new four strokes with
the thin head pipes will do this why doesn't the selling dealer tell the guys about it when they buy the bike new? Seems like that would be included in the
conversation along with how to start and warm up your bike...don't you guys
think?

BC :cry:

• revdevil

Posted December 03, 2004 - 06:02 PM

That was good!

• FFRacing79

Posted December 03, 2004 - 08:37 PM

Myself and a friend put a temp reader on the header pipe and came up with 1400 degrees,that sucker is gonna glow red!!

The exhaust gas temp shouldn't be that high when running wide open, much less idle...but the point is made...It's HOT!

• holeshot

Posted December 04, 2004 - 06:32 AM

This is about the tenth time.....

Tenth time? More like the 100th time. :cry:

They should start a "glowing head pipe" forum. :cry:

• BC3

Posted December 04, 2004 - 09:06 AM

I can see it now.............."My buddies and I went camping this weekend and we brought our "DIRT BIKES" you know the ones that have the [COLOR=Red]"GLOWING HEADER"[/COLOR] well we rode all day and came back to the camp site just to discover that nobody brought MATCHES :cry: We had
burgers and hotdogs and eggs and bacon, but no fire to cook with......When all
of a sudden it came to me :cry: we could use the GLOWING HEADERS to cook our food.....today Im a Million Aire because of my invention "THE HEADER CHEFF"
a book on how to prepare food with a DIRT BIKE EXAUST PIPE :cry:

HEY, IT COULD HAPPEN :cry:

• Thomas_Potter

Posted December 04, 2004 - 09:28 AM

I try to not take my eyes off the trail or track ahead of me ... so I don't know if mine is glowing at speed or not. It does however at idle, and I have been assured that this is perfectly normal. I also know that my bike is probably running slightly rich currently.

Tom

• FFRacing79

Posted December 04, 2004 - 10:24 AM

I can see it now.............."My buddies and I went camping this weekend and we brought our "DIRT BIKES" you know the ones that have the [COLOR=Red]"GLOWING HEADER"[/COLOR] well we rode all day and came back to the camp site just to discover that nobody brought MATCHES :cry: We had
burgers and hotdogs and eggs and bacon, but no fire to cook with......When all
of a sudden it came to me :cry: we could use the GLOWING HEADERS to cook our food.....today Im a Million Aire because of my invention "THE HEADER CHEFF"
a book on how to prepare food with a DIRT BIKE EXAUST PIPE :cry:

HEY, IT COULD HAPPEN :cry:

BC, it HAS happened!! Some 20 years ago when I was driving over the road(short time) there was actually a product for cooking canned goods on your trucks exhaust header. :cry:

• BC3

Posted December 04, 2004 - 01:26 PM

I think I remember that product, it was a plate or "GRIDDLE " welded to a
CATILITIC CONVERTER......you would slip it over your cars exaust pipe and
let it run for awhile till the cat got hot then WAU-LAW !! hot plate for dinner :cry:

BC

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.