WR Suspension

10 replies to this topic
  • r_dawg1021

Posted December 01, 2004 - 06:15 PM

I feel dumb for even asking this. What's the deal with the compression & rebound on the front forks? I see the preload (pretty obvious) but I am unsure about the compression and rebound. The rear shock has the clickers on the top and bottom so that's easy for me. I am having problems with the front. I've been reading the manual and I can't extract out of it enough information to understand what they are saying. I understand that the front and rear need to be somewhat balanced. Here's what it says:

Soft Spring

Rebound = out two clicks
Compression = in two click

Hard Spring

Opposite of above

I understand how to do it on the rear but not the front. The forks on my street bike have clickers on the bottom of the fork but I am not seeing that on my WR. Thanks for any advice I feel like an a$$ for not knowing this, I hate suspension :cry: Thanks for any advice....

• obermeyer

Posted December 01, 2004 - 06:23 PM

Man don't sweat it there are so many different forks out there that it gets confusing quick.

Your WR, on the top of the fork you will see 2 screws, the one in the center of the fork is the rebound control and the one offset from that is the air bleed screw. Your compression control is located at the bottom of the fork hidden behind the rubber plug.

Hope this helps!

OBE

• r_dawg1021

Posted December 01, 2004 - 06:31 PM

Man don't sweat it there are so many different forks out there that it gets confusing quick.

Your WR, on the top of the fork you will see 2 screws, the one in the center of the fork is the rebound control and the one offset from that is the air bleed screw. Your compression control is located at the bottom of the fork hidden behind the rubber plug.

Hope this helps!

OBE

Thanks OBE. I just ran out and looked and I see the two tops screws you're talking about but I see nothing on the bottom of the fork under a rubber plug? I assume there is one on each side of the fork? The only rubber plug I have is from where I removed my stock speedo cable and capped it off. Can you tell me specifically where it's at on the bottom of the fork? You would think it would be obvious in the manual but either I am blind or they don't document it very well.

Hopefully it's not too obvious this is my first newer dirt bike :cry:

• obermeyer

Posted December 01, 2004 - 06:36 PM

they are located all the way on the bottom, you may have to lye on the floor and look up to see them. The plugs are easily pryed out with a screw driver.

go look I'll wait here.

• r_dawg1021

Posted December 01, 2004 - 06:45 PM

I looked under the bottom of the fork and all I see is the hex end of the fork?
AGH

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • obermeyer

Posted December 01, 2004 - 06:52 PM

That's it!!! inside the hex is a rubber plug. Now if they have been taken out and left out you may have dirt stuffed in there. If this is the case then take a small screw driver and some WD-40 carefully clean them out untill you see a small brass clicker that looks like the clicker on the top of the fork.

OBE

• r_dawg1021

Posted December 01, 2004 - 07:47 PM

That's it!!! inside the hex is a rubber plug. Now if they have been taken out and left out you may have dirt stuffed in there. If this is the case then take a small screw driver and some WD-40 carefully clean them out untill you see a small brass clicker that looks like the clicker on the top of the fork.

OBE

I found it! Sweet, thanks a lot for your help. :cry:

Posted December 02, 2004 - 06:25 AM

I'm glad you asked because I was going outside and looking like a deer in the headlights. LOL*

• r_dawg1021

Posted December 02, 2004 - 09:44 AM

I'm glad I could help you too Top! I'm hitting the sand tomorrow for the first time and trying to dial the bike in a bit. Gonna go get a paddle tire mounted tonight and should be good to go. It would be nice to have an extra wheel\tire for the sand but it's pretty spendy.

I'll be taking pictures and will post them hopefully tomorrow night :cry:
Should be interesting riding with the quads.

Posted December 02, 2004 - 10:38 AM

I have to say that I think quads were built for the sand!

• r_dawg1021

Posted December 02, 2004 - 01:09 PM

I agree. their turning ratio is awesome in the sand but get them on land and we'll eat'em up. Well, most of them :cry:

That YFZ is one nasty looking quad.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.