Info on the Dakar Rally???

11 replies to this topic
  • BWB63

Posted December 01, 2004 - 08:44 AM

The 2005 Dakar will start from Barcelona on January 1st before taking in the Black Africa countires of Morocco, Mauritania, Senegal and Mali before the traditional claimx around the Lac Rose at Dakar.
“The Dakar has had to close motorcycle entries at the end of the summer, barely two months after they opened and a full four months before the start," explained Etienne Lavigne, Head of organisation. "We should be having nearly 230 motorcyclists starting from Barcelona on 1 January next, which has never happened before on the Dakar.

“We set a limit of 200 machines, as in other years, but motorcycle entries have been arriving in bulk. After getting the agreement from the French Motorcycle Federation and checking out the technical and logistics aspects, we decided to increase the number of participants and take some thirty more competitors.

"As one of our main concerns was for everybody's safety, we are allocating additional resources: an extra medical helicopter as well as more stewards. But we have nonetheless, with a heavy heart, had to refuse about fifty competitors and close motorcycle entries."

As regards cars and trucks, although the limit has not yet been reached, current numbers (90 cars and 38 trucks) are 50% up on last year at the same time!

All categories included, 400 started on 1 January last year (195 motorcycles, 142 cars and 63 trucks). How many are there going to be at Barcelona on the starting line in 2005? The official number of entries will be reported at the press conference on 17 November.

Nationalities

More than 37 nationalities have entered already. An increasingly international Dakar with competitors coming from every continent: the French represent a mere than 31% of the total, ahead of the Spanish (13%), Belgians (11%), Dutch (9%) and Italians (8%). That is 72% how many of the remaining 28% are U.S.A.?

The Course

After starting from “Plaza de España” in Barcelona, on 1 January and a prologue (counting for the general placings), the competitors head for southern Spain for a stage in Grenada. The following day they compete in the second special in the region before boarding ship for Africa. After crossing Morocco, Mauritania (rest day in Atar), Mali and Senegal, the finish will be judged in Dakar, at Lac Rose, on 16 January.

I found out a lot from the net but, I have been to twenty two sites. Most of them dead ends.......this rallies coverage is vauge. A lot of the the info you really have to dig for. Not much is just spelled out, or easy to find. I am sure it is different for an insider like IronDude........

The biggest change is the 450cc twin-cylinder engine size limit for motorcycles, with the single-cylinder limit at 750cc. KTM, no longer able to compete aboard the 950, is hard at work building a 660cc single-cylinder Dakar bike. Another big change in 2005 is limited GPS points, with some stages allowing absolutely no GPS navigation at all. Riders will be forced to navigate using road books, compasses, and cairns—piles of rocks used by nomadic tribes to mark desert trails. Other changes include a speed limit when passing through African communities, and 45% less assistance trucks to follow competitors

http://www.dirtrider...141_0407_dakar/

In only the second year of the first-ever factory US Dakar team, Red Bull KTM has announced an ambitious three-year plan with the goal of putting an American on the podium. Those who know Dakar can appreciate how ambitious this goal is. Dakar is the world's toughest off-road race spanning 16 days and over 5,000 miles. But KTM is confident that Americans have the most talent and the best off-road machinery; what we don't have is the experience.

Jimmy Lewis, one of America's most successful Dakar competitors—and the newest addition to the Dirt Rider team—engineered the Red Bull KTM Rider Search Challenge to select the 2005 team. The challenge is set to take place July 25-29 in California's Death Valley, and is a true-to-life simulation designed to test physical, mental and emotional endurance. The test will be an exercise in road book and GPS navigation and extreme distance coverage, as well as expose the riders to the harsh realities of Dakar such as sleep deprivation, eating nothing but couscous and having their socks stolen in the middle of the night.

A panel of judges consisting of Scot Harden, Jimmy Lewis, Danny LaPorte and Malcolm Smith will select two riders and one alternate to form the Red Bull USA Dakar team. The third rider will be Scot Harden, serving also as the manager, mentor and leader for the 2005 team. Sixteen competitors were hand-selected by the panel of experts to compete in the challenge (regardless of their current sponsorships). The nominated riders (with those who have accepted in bold) are:

Kurt Caselli Jonah Street Destry Abbott Andy Grider
Mouse McCoy Nick Pearson Kellon Walch Casey McCoy
Chris Blais Larry Roeseler Kenny Bartram Paul Krause
David Pearson Ty Davis Johnny Campbell Scott Summers

After the team is selected, the development process will begin with the team participating in the Nevada Rally Experience October 22-24. The NRE, hosted by Best in the Desert and Harden-Offroad, is the first rally event in the US since 1995. The non-competitive event will follow the route of the old Nevada Rally with two 250-mile stages and a stop over at an African-style bivouac.

November 24th, the team will participate in the infamous Baja 1000 where they will have a chance to compete alongside Dakar champion Richard Sainct and other top European Rally competitors.

This is the first effort in Red Bull KTM's ambitious three-year commitment to bring home the win in the Everest of off-road races. We wish everyone the best of luck. Check back on Dirtrider.com in the coming months for to follow the progress of the 2005 US Dakar team. For more information on the 27th annual Telefonica Dakar Rally, visit www.dakar.com.

• qadsan

Posted December 01, 2004 - 09:59 AM

...November 24th, the team will participate in the infamous Baja 1000 where they will have a chance to compete alongside Dakar champion Richard Sainct and other top European Rally competitors.

Sainct was an incredible racer, GOD rest his soul.

• irondude

Posted December 01, 2004 - 11:45 AM

Race starts Jan 1. in Spain. While the exact route is secret--i am fairlly certain this is very close to the route for Dakar 2005:

Day 1 - 10 mile parade around Bacelona.

Day 2 - 550 mile pavement ride to Granada Bivouac

Day 3 - 40 mile enduro thru the mud around Granada-timed race.
3 hour pavement to the ferry for Africa at Algericas, Spain.
1 hour boat ride
3 hour pavement in Morocco to the Rabat Bivouac.

Day 4 - 10 mile Liason pavement to the outskirts of Rabat
70 mile 'Baja style' through the oaks and adobe timed race.
3.5 hour pavement to Agadir Bivouac on the Atlantic coast.

Day 5 - 1.5 hour pavement to village of Guilmim-fuel stop.
220 miles of silt, rocks and more rocks, all timed race. Two check
points-one near start, one near village of Jidiryia. Fuel stop at RM
15 miles of liason to Smara Bivouac.

Day 6 - 25 miles of liason to Mauritania border.
300 miles of sand with some mixed desert at the end. All timed race.
Check point 1 hour south of Bir Mogrien village, fuel stop.
Arrive Zoeurat Bivouac.

Day 7 - 380 miles of uncharted Sand Dunes. No course. GPS only. Arrive
Tichit Village Bivouac.

Day 8 - 125 miles uncharted Sand Dunes. 100 miles of mixed desert with some
trails, some navigation by sightlines. 75 miles of established trail.
Arrive Tidjika Bivouac.

Day 9 - 70 miles of rocks and silt/dust. 110 miles of Sand Dunes. 40 miles of
trails linking oasis villages. Arrive Atar Bivouac.

Day 10 - you get the idea.....
Day 11
Day 12
Day 13
Day 14
Day 15
Day 16 After 5000 miles, arrive at the podium, collect finisher pin, call wife,
get a couple cold ones, take a nap?

• BWB63

Posted December 01, 2004 - 11:52 AM

I was also looking for all the rules....you no the one that says know, no flags on the bike, no camo, no Bilbles or what ever those rules are. You got me all worked up on the crazy Frenchies so, I have learned a lot about the Dakar. Till now I always thought it started in Paris. I think now I two and a half hours into reading about past rallies...cool stuff but, man they think different over there. :cry:

• irondude

Posted December 01, 2004 - 12:18 PM

check out my
Can Brigette Bardot save the world
post in the off-topic area.

France is slipping outside of the western, christian world. In 20 years France will have a MAJORITY of its people MUSLIM!

From now on all internal politics in France will have to take in the Muslim vote. It will split NATO, threaten the EU. and create an agenda of anti-americanism for the rest of our lives--but not from some 3rd world shit hole, from the country that gave us the Statue of Liberty!

WHy?

Liberalism in its most unfortunate conclusion. Its not intentional that most liberal and educated French have created a situation that will destroy their culture--but it is the outcome. Unchecked immigration, open-ness and acceptance of everyone and everything, parallelel societies living near each other. Lack of integration.
Sound familiar?

One day soon the USA will have to face the music.

California is a WHITE MINORITY state. The Mexican population--if they got politically active -- could put in a Latino Governor, with an agenda parallel to Mexico.

Sound far fetched?

Research the Atzlan movement right here in the USA southwest. A latino movement with one goal. Re-populate the US south west and return it to Mexico.

We are fast loosing France.

Did you know there are now more mosques in England than churches?

Multi culturalism is fine if you hve people from Russia, Armenia, France, Guatemala, all christians...and a few from peacefull buddhist Thailand.

Add in close-minded muslims with one goal--die for your religion until it takes over the earth (they call it 'Umma' )

No freakin way.

We are fighting World War 3 for the next 50 years and it will only end with massive ethnic cleansing in Europe. Watch.

In the Netherlands it is starting right now. Germany is next. Scandinavia to.

Yeah--France is dyeing. Can Bridget Bardot save the world?
I hope so.

• BWB63

Posted December 01, 2004 - 01:23 PM

WoW...
It is not known here but, I am a preacher. I have ran a home for the homeless men from 1986 to last Augest. I am extreme right wing...and a Jesus Freek. One of those obnoxious Bilbe thumpers.
What you have just wrote is scary! Very easily I can be a target for my beliefs with this "normal" trend! "To be Homosexual is to be excepted or there is something wrong with you" in todays world but, "If you cose to be a Christain" you are way out there and crazy.....well that is me. Some day I will be looked at and though of to be the same as the terorist Muslims!

With a word changed all my friends will get that! What a wake-up call.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Weirdo

Posted December 02, 2004 - 05:01 PM

Holy cripies!!!! :cry:
What a post to read............. in the 'Dakar info' thread.
but you know what... from over here... makes alot o' sense! I've never thought of all that, like that. I wonder what the government 'think tanks' projections are for these scenarios? To much at stake here for the US not to be wondering about the outcome of the muslim movement there in France! Maybe thats why Uncle Sam is over there now in the heart of muslim country, making it's presence known.... gotta wonder.

peace out boys...... :cry:

• RingKingPin

Posted December 02, 2004 - 05:16 PM

France is slipping outside of the western, christian world. In 20 years France will have a MAJORITY of its people MUSLIM!

IronDUde, you're right and Italy is even worse off! What's your 20? Are you over seas?

I lived in France for four years from 98-01 and enjoyed every minute but was always wondering about the fate of the country. ALl the rackai or "punks" were muslim and the cops were afraid to intervene. I think that all the years of france pushing down on it's colonies, morrocco, algeria etc is biting them in the ass now. All in all it's very interesting. Most of my friends were actually from North Africa because the French always looked at me as an outsider but the Muslims saw me as they saw themselves. Honestly, I don't know what to think cause I lived there pre 911. Eitherway, if the french want to survive, they better ditch RU486 and start to a humpin! :cry:

• JackAttack

Posted December 02, 2004 - 05:57 PM

:cry: :cry: Good luck at Dakar Irondude! :cry: :cry:

Day 1 - 10 mile parade around Bacelona.

MikeKay, on his silly little Hondaberg, probably would'nt make it past day 1 without a shim job.

:cry: :lol: :D

• EM_rider

Posted December 02, 2004 - 06:09 PM

I lived in France for four years from 98-01 and enjoyed every minute but was always wondering about the fate of the country. ALl the rackai or "punks" were muslim and the cops were afraid to intervene. I think that all the years of france pushing down on it's colonies, morrocco, algeria etc is biting them in the ass now. All in all it's very interesting. Most of my friends were actually from North Africa because the French always looked at me as an outsider but the Muslims saw me as they saw themselves. Honestly, I don't know what to think cause I lived there pre 911. Eitherway, if the french want to survive, they better ditch RU486 and start to a humpin!

Geez, not exactly on-topic for Dakar but interesting nonetheless.

I've spent a lot of time in France and elsewhere and don't agree with ID's analysis of what ails France. Their "muslim problem" is primarily the result of a very non-liberal attitude and failure to welcome and integrate the muslims into French society. For years, they have had muslim immigrants, and for years the elite French (who I generally can't stant BTW) have made it nearly impossible for these muslim immigrants to live a normal life. They are legally abused, excluded and widely looked down upon by the Frenchies. I'm not saying that the French failed to give them handouts. On the contrary, the French have created a system where even the most able and hard-working muslim will remain screwed and unable to improve their economic and social standing simply because they are not native French. They are not able to become part of French society and as a result, they have absolutely no loyalty to France. No surprise at all. Decades of this garbage are now coming home to slam France in the face. But in no way will the French situation foster anti-americanism. It will weaken and distract France, but it only highlights the contrast between the French status quo and what we have here in the USA. Here, immigrants are welcome and given the proper incentives to become good upstanding members of American society. A few nutcases are the exception, not the rule. Immigrants are often a lot more loyal and patriotic than many native born Americans who are very soft and have no frigging idea how lucky they are to be living here. They add significantly to the economy, contribute very little to the crime rate and generally work damn hard to make something of themselves. Those who whine about them ruining America are IMHO suffering from delusion and often like to find a scapegoat for all the problems they see around them.

• irondude

Posted December 02, 2004 - 08:20 PM

Yeah i lived in France for a few years myself.
Went to School at the Sorbonne--my family lived in Provence.

My take is that both of you guys are correct. The French (as i mentioned) created parrallal societies...not unlike the Mexican population living in various cities or neighborhoods in the US southwest...and for sure its now going to bite them hard.

The muslim punks are totally out of control. Someting like 80% of French jails are now muslim, the prostitution (they OWN white Russian slave prostitiutes now) and drug 'industries' are now the main objective of the young punk muslims...not unlike urban US culture.

But the problem is the French cant overwhelm them like is slowly starting to happen in the USA--blacks marry whites, etc now in the USA and in a few generations its just going to be folks with a bit of a tan...but not in France--the muslims are oin the way to taking over.

Unlike Mexicans in the USA who just move here and start lawn mowing services or whatever, fitting in to a christian world and happy not to be paying mordida every other day...the muslims in France and elsewhere are becoming MILITARIZED. But unlike the Black Panthers here in the USA in the '60's the muslim numbers and their stance is far more extreeme and far more of a fundamental challenge to France.

When people like Bridgette Bardot and intellectuals from the Academie Francais are looking to guys like ultra rightests for answers---its REALLY interesting.

I see a major race war coming.

On a side note:
I was doing business in Italy a couple years ago--i managed a business unit that made huge food processing machines...anyway we had a potential client working with our Italian office--so i was over there and we all went on one of these big Italian business dinners....the client brought along his TWO white (actually very cute) and totally sad Russian slave girls.
It took me all night to figure it out--and the my Italian verified it all later to me--and then he toasts (its all done in Arabic and Italian--both of which i struggle with big time) "his dark prince" -- i find out later he meant Osama Bin Laden.

What was weird was that they started asking me about sniper rifflles right in a formal $1000 business dinner...

yeah thats how messed up it is in Europe.

Freakin Europeans willl sell their neighbors daughters into slavery and toast evil just to make a buck.

It still sickens me to think ofo the look on those womens faces. All USA liberals need to go live overseas for a time....

ANyway--ggreat chatting with ya.
I am off for some Dakar practice/saddle time (its gonna be SO cold in my tent tonight!!!)...for those of you who dont know--I am number 119 in this years rallye...on a XR680R....back in 5 days.

-IDude. :cry:

• EM_rider

Posted December 03, 2004 - 05:42 AM

But the problem is the French cant overwhelm them like is slowly starting to happen in the USA--blacks marry whites, etc now in the USA and in a few generations its just going to be folks with a bit of a tan...but not in France--the muslims are oin the way to taking over.

Unlike Mexicans in the USA who just move here and start lawn mowing services or whatever, fitting in to a christian world and happy not to be paying mordida every other day...the muslims in France and elsewhere are becoming MILITARIZED. But unlike the Black Panthers here in the USA in the '60's the muslim numbers and their stance is far more extreeme and far more of a fundamental challenge to France.

When people like Bridgette Bardot and intellectuals from the Academie Francais are looking to guys like ultra rightests for answers---its REALLY interesting.

I see a major race war coming.

You're probably right about France and other parts of Europe. But I don't think so about the USA because immigrants can assimilate and have opportunity if they work hard.

All USA liberals need to go live overseas for a time....

Yep, they would come back conservative. That's why I don't give a rats a$$ what Europe or France think about any issue.

Good luck in Dakar!
R

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.