Bubbles in graphics!

5 replies to this topic
  • Greg_C

Posted August 14, 2001 - 11:58 AM

I installed my factory effex graphics last week using 70/30 mix rubbing alcohol & water. I didn't use the hot water in the tub technique because I wanted keep the shrouds and the tank on the bike to make sure they lined up right. The tank looks ok but the stickers on the shrouds have quite a few bubbles in them. Should I try and pop the bubbles, or just leave them alone?

• Bill

Posted August 14, 2001 - 02:21 PM

Popping the bubbles is the only thing you can do at this point.

Next time leave the tank, seat and shrouds on and squirt the bike down with Windex and then squeegie it out. The windex will allow you to move the graphics and get them bubble free.

Bill

------------------
99 WR400f, YZ timed, MX-Tech suspension, Scotts steering damper, White Bros E-Series (12 discs), tapered header and a/f. Kouba T-handle for the fuel screw. Works Connection billet throttle tube and frame guards. Cycra Pro-Bend, triple clamp mount handguards. Thumper Racing rad guards, Renthal Jimmy Button highs, YZ Tank and IMS seat, YZ number plate, odo removed, EKP #4, 50PJ, 175MJ at 500-1000' Thanks James Dean!

• MOmilkman

Posted August 14, 2001 - 03:32 PM

Dont expect it to last though.
You can't escape the bubbles when the gas fumes start to seek through the tank.

------------------
Darin in Missouri - 1999 WR400F
Enduro Heaven - Ozark Mountain TrailRiders

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR_Rider

Posted August 14, 2001 - 05:36 PM

My stock graphics allready had bubbles in them by the time i had filled the bike with gas and made the hour drive home. I pulled the tank graphics off the 2nd month i had the bike, they looked like crap. I too bought the factory effects graphics. In fact my bike is one the pictures page. it looked that good for about 1/2 a season, now the tanks graphics are bubbling again. I was sure to clean the tank with alcohol etc and used the water / alcohol method to put the new graphics on...oh well. what makes me mad is that a buddy i ride with has his original graphics on his '99. sure they're a little worn from his legs rubbing on them but not a bubble to speak of...maybe it's something to do with the type of gas as well???

Chuck

• Greg_C

Posted August 15, 2001 - 02:24 AM

The graphics on the tank are fine, they have lots of holes in them like I went across them with a hole punch. I wish they did the same thing to the shrouds, that is were all the bubbles are.

Should I slice the bubble with a razor or stab them with a pin?

• MOmilkman

Posted August 15, 2001 - 03:34 AM

Originally posted by WR_Rider:
what makes me mad is that a buddy i ride with has his original graphics on his '99. sure they're a little worn from his legs rubbing on them but not a bubble to speak of...maybe it's something to do with the type of gas as well???

Chuck

I have been told in the past that if you put on new graphics on before you use your tank for the first time, such as putting them on a new oversize tank the adhesive will not bubble and stick to the tank better, but if you wait untill after you have used the tank then gas has already seeped into the plastic and they wont stick properly.

I done this when I got my new 99 WR and the stock ones never bubbled and were fine. When I replaced the tank with a oversize Clarke I put new graphics on it before I even used it and they never bubbled or anything. But about 6 months later, I peeled those off in favor of some hannah graphics and those didnt hardly last 3 months.

------------------
Darin in Missouri - 1999 WR400F
Enduro Heaven - Ozark Mountain TrailRiders

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.