YZ450F vs. CR450F

62 replies to this topic
  • condog_aus

Posted December 18, 2004 - 01:03 PM

The CRF450R makes less horsepower than the YZ450F.

The CRF450R has valve problems, unlike the YZ450F.

The CRF450R has been proven to handle way sloppier than the YZ450F.

The CRF450R holds less oil and burns it alot quicker than the YZ450F.

...make the right decision.

-Doug

Doug do you have to beat around the bush so much. Why not be more concise next time? :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

• RCannon

Posted December 18, 2004 - 02:02 PM

How much weight do these pissing matches really hold?

Both factories allready have the replacements for the current bikes finalized. I would imagine both companies are hard at work on the 07's or 08's as we speak.

• Ga426owner

Posted December 18, 2004 - 03:30 PM

You mean to tell me the Yamaha is not a piece of Chit?

try telling the Red guys that next door............ :cry:

• MORETORQUE

Posted December 18, 2004 - 05:51 PM

I was going to shoe horn a CR 500 motor in a new 2003 CRF 450 chasses but Gary Jones one of the dirt bike mag editors told me my 03 CRF 500 was better handling than the 2003 yzf 450 when both were correctly set up. he has raced both in many events. I was not all that happy with the 2003 CRF chasses until I changed the clamps and the forks to add some flex to the chasses. He told me the YZF was top heavy and did not steer as well.

I know the new 05 CRF chasses is way better than the old CRF chasses and the Yamaha chasses is the same. That makes me believe Yamaha is falling behind and I feel a good solid B rider is able to take advantage of a better working bike. This year honda by far has the edge!

• MORETORQUE

Posted December 19, 2004 - 09:11 AM

Something else for you Yamie praisers, on ebay why do the Honda Showa suspension components bring way more money than the YZ or YZF Kayaba components ?

• Beef

Posted December 19, 2004 - 09:16 AM

Because HONDA charges a premium for EVERYTHING. So even the higher-priced stuff on Ebay is a bargain, compared to buying it from Honda.

FYI, the new front fork on the YZ450F is virtually identical to Honda's Showa fork. MXA called it a Showaba. :cry:

• MORETORQUE

Posted December 19, 2004 - 09:46 AM

iS HE RIGHT ?

• condog_aus

Posted December 19, 2004 - 11:06 AM

yeh id heard the same.
And as for the pissing comp it depends whether your pissing into or with the wind. If its into the wind than you better be good at it. Given theres a fairly strong wind blowing behind the yamaha than you honda boys need to either get the problems fixed or learn to piss a little harder. :cry: :cry:

• MORETORQUE

Posted December 19, 2004 - 11:50 AM

Well it is good Yamaha tried to catchup in the fork department the Kayaba's they were running were limited in what you could do in setup.

I just had a conversation with someone who told me some California dealers were now selling the new CRF 05 450 for 10,000 $ and getting it. So if you guys want a modern bike you better hurry reports are they will be gone soon, you always have the choice of ridding the blue bike that will not be a problem I believe there are still plenty of them available as well as plenty of new 04 yzf's as well.

• yamrider22

Posted August 02, 2005 - 07:33 PM

Well it is good Yamaha tried to catchup in the fork department the Kayaba's they were running were limited in what you could do in setup.

I just had a conversation with someone who told me some California dealers were now selling the new CRF 05 450 for 10,000 $ and getting it. So if you guys want a modern bike you better hurry reports are they will be gone soon, you always have the choice of ridding the blue bike that will not be a problem I believe there are still plenty of them available as well as plenty of new 04 yzf's as well.

That is the most ignorant statement I have read in along time. CRF's are for sale on ebay and the cycle trader for $5800.00 all day long (brand new). If you know any of these "people" you speak of tell them to email me and I will ship one of these "unobtainable" CRF's to their house for a substantial savings.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • big t

Posted August 02, 2005 - 08:01 PM

Reliability is what got me on a Yamaha and I have not been disappointed at all. The YZ engine does seem to have more power than the CRF. Both have more power than most people can use and both are great bikes.

• Rocky Mountain

Posted August 02, 2005 - 11:29 PM

I doubt your question will get solved on here. Both the 450 bikes from yamaha and honda are both great bikes. I started off on a yz250f, then an 04' yz450. Then last year i made athe jump to the honda, and will never go back. My 05 honda is way lighter feeling than any 450 yamaha, and felt more like my yz250f more than my old yz450f. I also found that the crf has more power than the yz. I know in 04 the yz450f was said to be the brute or beast of the motor department, but it doesn't seem like it to me. My 05 crf has much better bottomand mid range than the yz. Maybe because of the 5-speed. Anywayz, both bikes are very reliable, if you maintain them. I have seen more than a few crf450s with well over 300 hours on the original engine. Take in mind these bikes are only used to trail riding... but still. This year i want to upgrade again, and the yz450 might be an awesome bike... but i want to make the safe purchase... so i am gonna go with the honda... the crf has been the bike of the year almost every year since its introduction and this year it will problably do it again. Another thing to worry about is yamaha jumping into the aluminum frame... alot of people still condem the first year honda aluminum frame to be stiff and unforgiven. Theres a good chance yamaha is going to go thru the same thing in its first year with this technoloy on a 4-stroke. Either bike will treat you good. The yamaha is an all around great bike, and requires a little less maitenance. But I'd go with the honda. The only reason why some people say bad things about it... is either because they can't handle the added mechanical demands of the honda... or they can't keep up to it

• ovrrdrive

Posted August 03, 2005 - 01:00 AM

That is the most ignorant statement I have read in along time. CRF's are for sale on ebay and the cycle trader for $5800.00 all day long (brand new). If you know any of these "people" you speak of tell them to email me and I will ship one of these "unobtainable" CRF's to their house for a substantial savings.

Who knows, maybe 8 months ago when this thread was started they were hard to get...

Btw, did I mention that I hate these crf vs yzf threads just about as much as oil threads? :D

Why can't people just pick a color they like and stop blaming the lost races on the bike?

• Thumper38

Posted August 03, 2005 - 03:37 AM

alot of people still condem the first year honda aluminum frame to be stiff and unforgiven. Theres a good chance yamaha is going to go thru the same thing in its first year with this technoloy on a 4-stroke.

Its the same frame as the 05 yz's,that will be on the 06yzf's and there frames were very good not like the Honda at all!

• cheekz

Posted August 03, 2005 - 06:10 AM

YZF 450 = BOSS!!!! :D :D :eek:

CRF 450 = PROBLEMS!!!! :D

• Dovii

Posted August 03, 2005 - 03:52 PM

[quote name='ONLY4STROKES']The CRF450R makes less horsepower than the YZ450F.[/QUOTE]

This is the most common misconception I hear about the two bikes. In 2003 the YZ-F made 3 more HP than the CRF 49 vs 46.

For 2005 the CRF makes 5 more HP than the YZ-F 45 vs 50. They have basically reversed #'s. Yamaha has yet to make their power as smooth and managable as the Honda's despite giving up 5 ponies.

[quote name='ONLY4STROKES']The CRF450R has valve problems, unlike the YZ450F.[/QUOTE]

The CRF doesn't have valve problems. It's valve train certainly isn't prone to failure. It's valve train does have a shorter service life due to the inherent design (2 intake valves vs. 3 intake valves). The YZ-F's 3 intake valves are able to flow the same amount, but at a lower lift than the CRF's 2 intake valves. This places less stress on valve components.

Yamaha is the only manufacturer to offer a 5 valve head. They have been for a long time (on their sportbikes - late 80;s I believe). Remember the old Genisis motors? This is a credit to Yamaha's inginuity. It is a very successful design.

The CRF isn't lacking. It's on par with everyone else, except Yamaha which has an exceptional design.

[quote name='ONLY4STROKES']The CRF450R has been proven to handle way sloppier than the YZ450F.[/QUOTE]

Are you serious? The 2005 CRF is one of the best handling MX bikes ever. It's in another league. The 2005 RMZ is the only 450 that can present a case due to it's tight turning ability.

Better luck in 2006.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ONLY4STROKES']The CRF450R holds less oil and burns it alot quicker than the YZ450F.

...make the right decision.

-Doug[/QUOTE]

The only CRF's that are burning oil are poorly maintained ones that need a new top-end/valve job. There are a lot of idiots that have no business trying to maintain a modern 4-stroke.

If you add the engine oil capacity with the tranny fluid capacity they come out roughly the same as the YZ-F's total capacity. The fact that Honda separates the two oils is a credit to their ingenuity. My oil always comes out looking new. I like the system and wouldn't want to go back. I wish my 2005 GSXR-1000 had separate engine and tranny fluids.

2006 should be interesting - I can't wait. :D

• ThrakenH04

Posted August 03, 2005 - 04:42 PM

Wow, CR vs. YZF, not really a comparison considering ther isent such thing as a CR450, maby a CR480, but no CR450. Anyway, The CRF450 makes more peak power then a YZF does, Tons of dynos will prove this fact. The CRF is also more of a revver then the YZF. The YZF is a great platform, easy to ride, somewhat decent suspension, easy to learn power and its very stable. The CRF though, has more of a racing platform, Very nimble, quik revving, superb handling, and less fatigue. Thats what i got from riding both and comparing both.

• mxaction

Posted August 03, 2005 - 06:31 PM

Guys, this is a VERY old thread and the topic has been beat to death. Lets leave it be.

• id250f

Posted August 03, 2005 - 09:23 PM

i had the 2003 yz450 ... just landed an 05 crf450 ... have ridden it twice now. My initial impressions:

1) crf is easier to ride ... very smooth power, but power is there when you want it (the newer yzs have probably addressed this ... i haven't ridden any 04 or 05 yz450s).

2) crf handles awesome ... mine does have offset clamps, however.

3) crf feels more cramped than my yz did, but it's not bad.

4) crf feels lighter

I was gonna get the 06 yz, but this crf landed in my lap with a mountain of after market goodies so I couldn't pass it up.

I'm a little nervous about the maintenance on the crf, but rumor has it that throwing in some aftermarket stainless valves help address their valve problems ... we'll see.

• yamrider22

Posted August 04, 2005 - 04:55 AM

[quote name='ovrrdrive']Who knows, maybe 8 months ago when this thread was started they were hard to get...

Yeah, you are correct on that one, I did not look at the dates on this thread. I guess thats what happens when a newbie gets involved.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.