450 Cornering/Turning

11 replies to this topic
  • dunecj2a

Posted November 30, 2004 - 12:47 PM

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]undefined[/COLOR] :cry: I just switched to a 450 from a KX250 and I'm having a hard time getting used to turning it. It doesn't want corner and takes alot of work. I have always read complaints that riders feel that they are riding on top of the bike and the lack of confidence in corners. Can anything be done to fix this? Would an adjustable triple clamp with taller risers help? Any suspension mods maybe? Any advice would be awsome.

• JohnnyOfast

Posted November 30, 2004 - 01:20 PM

I stuffed my forks down about 10mm in the clamps, turns better, little less stable, also has a slight tendancy to tuck.
But I like it better than not turning.

wish it handled better but it is what it is. (tall and long) :cry: :cry:

Best cure is seat time. :cry:

• Sparky_So_Cal

Posted November 30, 2004 - 02:47 PM

storm provides a rear linkage component which helps in this department. I beleive they are a TT sponser and have a banner on top of page.

• dunecj2a

Posted November 30, 2004 - 03:28 PM

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]undefined[/COLOR] :cry: Yeah thats what I was gonna try. The track I ride has alot of turns and tight corners. I was maybe gonna try increasing the sag a little......Anyways thanx for the help.

• dunecj2a

Posted November 30, 2004 - 03:29 PM

Thanx........I will check it out. Do you think the different clamp would help?

• YZFan

Posted November 30, 2004 - 03:39 PM

Dont pull in the clutch use the engine braking to help you getting your weight forward. I find myself pulling in the clutch sometime and it gets my timing all screwed up. Remember this isnt a 2 stroke using the engine for braking is kind of like having Anti Lock Brakes you have more control and it keeps the bike tracking straight. Good luck

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 30, 2004 - 03:50 PM

If your bike has the OEM (or any other) Dunlop 739 on the front, start by changing your front tire. If you ride exclusively Blue Groove tracks or supermoto, you can ignore that advice, but otherwise, you'll be much happier with a 756 or a 742. The 756 is a great Intermediate/soft terrain tire. The 742 is very good in those conditions and is good on harder surfaces, too.

Pulling the forks up will help, as will sitting forward on the bike to weight the front. If it starts to push, snap the throttle open about a quarter to a half. That will bring the back end out and usually plant the front. Too much, and the tail goes too far, of course. Rolling it on too slowly will just push the front further across the track.

Another thing that seems to work for me is to lean the bike further than myself, so that I am more upright than the bike, and the bike is cranked over farther than if we were both at the same lean angle. It seems to roll into and around the corners much more willingly that way.

Like he said, seat time. :cry:

• MathProf

Posted November 30, 2004 - 04:15 PM

I had the same complaints about the steering of my WR 450.

The front tire seemed to push and the whole bike seemed unbalanced. :cry:

I found out that the rear spring was too soft and the front was slightly stiff.

I switched to some Race-Tech springs, added a 742 Dunlop, dropped the triple clamps 5 mm, and bought some Carmichael bend Renthals that had a flatter profile which moved me forward on the bike.

It was a different bike after the modest mods and every time I ride I trust the bike more and more.

No more surprises, just "point and shoot" riding :cry:

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 30, 2004 - 07:11 PM

I'm on a 426 so maybe this advice won't help, but maybe they're similar. Anyway, I find that I have to turn it like I mean it, be agressive. If you're relaxed it's very difficult to get around a corner, if you're agressive, up on the tank, leg out front, use the throttle and drive through the corner and you can turn under most other guys on the track. I'm sure the 450 probably turns better than my old 426, so once you get the hang of it turning will be no problem at all. :cry:

• elsinoredaze

Posted December 01, 2004 - 09:11 AM

Another thing that seems to work for me is to lean the bike further than myself, so that I am more upright than the bike, and the bike is cranked over farther than if we were both at the same lean angle. It seems to roll into and around the corners much more willingly that way.

turn nirvana ...pushing the bike down and away hitting the throttle to stand it back up.

• gonzo

Posted December 01, 2004 - 10:11 AM

Offset clamp, Storm, and raise forks all help. You can only get them to turn so good though. They are top heavy. Use the power to the advantage coming out of corners.

• dunecj2a

Posted December 01, 2004 - 10:38 AM

Thanx for evryone's help!!!!! I will give it a shot Thursday night at the track. Maybe I won't be the poster boy for Goon riding anymore, or at least stay on the track.

Related Content

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.