Put together a engine to XR600

6 replies to this topic
  • Fredda

Posted November 30, 2004 - 12:13 PM

Broke my engine to my XR600 -93 couple of months ago. Camchain "jumped" over some sprockets on the camshaft. Have al parts now, but I need some help to put all stuff back in the right place. The things I have problem with is to get the camchain in right "order" so the camshaft would not hurt the valves and the piston and so it would work all well.
The thing is that I haven't split the enginge, I've only removed the cylinder top and the topcover (?). The camchain is linked together but I have to split the chain and "fastened" it again so I don't need to split the whole engine.

(sorry for my English, from Sweden...)

• thumpasaurus

Posted November 30, 2004 - 03:28 PM

Fredda..

I've never been in the engine on my XR but on other bikes I've been into the cam chain has a master link. Are you using the original chain? If so a new chain will *probably* come broken w/ a master link, requiring a rivet tool to peen the ends of the link once you have fished it into place.

Or I could be completely wrong :cry:

• 600ish

Posted November 30, 2004 - 04:39 PM

I have a '94 XR600 that has been great to me, week in and week out, so I can't help you with the engine---yet. I just thought I'd let you know your english is better than 90% of the state of Georgia, where I live. I would try www.bajadesigns.com and www.thumper-racing.net or www.servicehonda.com Maybe they can help you over the phone. Good luck, Walter

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HeadTrauma

Posted November 30, 2004 - 08:55 PM

Broke my engine to my XR600 -93 couple of months ago. Camchain "jumped" over some sprockets on the camshaft. Have al parts now, but I need some help to put all stuff back in the right place. The things I have problem with is to get the camchain in right "order" so the camshaft would not hurt the valves and the piston and so it would work all well.
The thing is that I haven't split the enginge, I've only removed the cylinder top and the topcover (?). The camchain is linked together but I have to split the chain and "fastened" it again so I don't need to split the whole engine.

(sorry for my English, from Sweden...)

Dont worry about your typing. I can understand you better than alot of people who speak ONLY English.

Anyway, the easiest thing for me to recommend is to get a decent repair book.

For the cam chain, if you have a new one that acually has a master link, lucky you. You will not have to pull the clutch off to install it. What you need is a piece of wire you can attach to one end of the chain and feed under the crankshaft and back out the top. Then you just pull the wire through until you have both ends of the chain. Make sure its on the gear and secure the chain so it does not fall back in the engine.

To get the engine on Top Dead Center: Take out the plugs on the left side engine cover(as if you are sitting on the bike). Stick a wrench through the big center hole so you can turn the crankshaft. Look through the other one and you'll see a mark like a "T" or "Top". Align that with the other mark. Thats TDC.

To make sure the camshaft is aligned: There are two dots on the cam gear that have to align with the top surface of the head where the cover bolts down. I believe the cam lobes should be pointing toward the piston/downward.

*Before you go and put it all back together, lets see if anyone has anything to add or spots something I may have missed.*

• Fredda

Posted December 01, 2004 - 01:53 AM

Thanks for all godd answers!
Helps a lot (acctually I got a service/manufactor manual, but it is copied and the German guy who did it only took the German pages and then I'm not so good in German I've got a so called problem:p)

Also wonder how I could see if the TENSIONER, CAM CHAIN is needed to be replaced by a new one.
(no 4 on: http://216.37.204.20...19&B=4&Action=O )

Edit: Were out and tock away the left enginecover. Saw the "T" mark, but there were another mark there aswell, a "F" Is that something to care about or is it for something else?
Secondly I also discover that it was some engine oil there, is it supposted to be there or is the seal (for the crankshaft) broken (or any other fault there)??

thanxx

• StevePSD

Posted December 01, 2004 - 08:08 AM

Here is a on-line copy of XR600 manual that someone else posted here. It's in English, French and German.

http://free.hostdepa...nt.com/x/xr600/

Hope it helps.

• HeadTrauma

Posted December 01, 2004 - 11:16 AM

Also wonder how I could see if the TENSIONER, CAM CHAIN is needed to be replaced by a new one.

Edit: Were out and tock away the left enginecover. Saw the "T" mark, but there were another mark there aswell, a "F" Is that something to care about or is it for something else?
Secondly I also discover that it was some engine oil there, is it supposted to be there or is the seal (for the crankshaft) broken (or any other fault there)??

I think you can just pull the chain tensioner slider out once you relieve the spring pressure behind it. If its still in good shape, you can probably reuse it. If it has grooves in it or pieces missing, replace it.

You want the "T" mark, dont worry about the others. The oil is supposed to be there. The flywheel and stator are "wet" so they get engine oil to them. It saved Honda from needing a seal on the crankshaft and eliminated the possibility of that seal failing.
TDC
Cam alignment

The book says you can install the cam up or down as long as the gear is aligned properly. It will be easier to install the rocker cover if the lobes are down, though.

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.