Help an 'ijit

2 replies to this topic
  • crazyYammi

Posted November 30, 2004 - 09:41 AM

I am rebuilding/respringing the suspension on my 04. It appears that I dont have to take the front forks completely apart to respring and reoil. What do you do, take the top cap off and dump the oil, replace, work the system and replace (repeat). I saw a good thread here a while ago and i cant find it with several searches.... perhaps that one deserves a sticky!

The rear shock is supposed to have oil in it, but teh manual doesnt say anything about how to change the oil... how do you go about this??
Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • beezer

Posted November 30, 2004 - 10:52 AM

Its best to take the fork completely apart and clean it. Any foreign matter in the valving wil cause problems.

The manual shows how to do it.

The back shock is more difficult to do, its hard to get all the air out of the shock.

You might want to have a professional do it.

• grayracer513

Posted November 30, 2004 - 04:07 PM

There's also the whole thing of having the shock recharged. I say spend $60 bucks and have the rear shock done, if you want the oil and seals changed. But it's unnecessary to do that to simply change the spring.

While Beezer is correct about completely pulling down the fork and cleaning it being the best route to go, that's not always needed, either. It depends on how long you've left the oil in place, and what it comes out*looking like. You decide that part. Changing the springs is exactly like changing the oil, except you don't put the same springs back.

Remember to loosen the top clamp pinch bolts before you try to loosen the caps. Then loosen the caps, then remove the fork tubes from the lower clamp. After that, follow the manual to the point where the springs are out, dump and work out the old oil, put in the new and bleed the air, install your new springs, and go.

Or tear the whole thing down, like Beezer said, and do it up right.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.