To YZ time or not to YZ time, that´s not the question anymore.

3 replies to this topic
  • Robert_Brazil

Posted November 29, 2004 - 04:37 PM

I own a WR450F that is considerably milder than my previously YZ timed WR426 Although I mostly do woods racing at competive riding level and the bike provides abundant torque and deliverable power, I like the YZ faster revving YZ curve. It is my impression that the engine was designed for YZ timing and the WR timing curve was just done to make things a little less "spectacular", but it doesn´t feel like YZ timing. Moreover YZ timing is also easier and yes I´ve jetted correctly.

I am about to invest in a 450F YZ cam, yet as I am based in Brazil my dealer doesn´t have these off the shelfs and e-bay purchasing is complicated for some sellers that don´t sell abroad. Is the to be expected change similar to changing the 426 timing (the 426 had a higher compression rate also that spiced things up compared to the 450, didn´t it?)

Can any one give me the name and telephone number of an organized Yamaha dealer in the states where I can buy the cam, and what price is reasonable?

Also, besides the camshaft do I need other parts, such as shims to adjust valve clearance, or nothing else as just the timing angle changes?

Thanks for your help!

• RichBaker

Posted November 29, 2004 - 04:45 PM

#2 Email them a part #, easily gotten from and one of the John' s will reply with the lowest price you'll find on the internet...:cry:

Did you cut the throttle-stop? The WR450 is NOT a mild bike! :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted November 29, 2004 - 04:55 PM

You will see the same quicker reving harder hitting mid range and top end if you put in the YZ exhaust cam in your WR. I would just order the part from your dealer in Brazil. It may take a few weeks but it makes the business of shipping and paying a lot simpler. $162.00 US is the list price for the 03 or 04 YZ part. Doesn't your dealer order parts for customers with bikes in your area? I really dont see the reason you need to buy from E-Bay or the US. Our dealers dont stock anything anyway. They all come from the Yamaha warehouse and dealers get their parts orders delivered once a week. :cry:

• Robert_Brazil

Posted November 30, 2004 - 09:57 AM

Dear Rich, this is very helpful, I already contacted them and the prices are fair!

Remaining Questions
1) the part I need to exhange is the 5TA-12180-00-00 (which according to the Yamaha Part List is the EXHAUST CAM SHAFT of the YZ450F, right?

2) besides the camshaft, do I need anything else (parts?) to make the exhange from WR to YZ timing. Washers to adjust valve clearance...?

3) Where (in the ThumperTalk forums) can I find a step-by-step description how to exchange the camshaft.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.