'87 XR frame side covers/fenders

3 replies to this topic
  • StevePSD

Posted November 28, 2004 - 09:41 PM

Looking for replacement side covers and fenders for my '87 XR600. Most places seem to list '88 & up. Will the '88 XR600 plastic fit correctly on a '87? What re the differences (if any)?

Thanks!

• don87xr600

Posted November 28, 2004 - 09:56 PM

maier sells them for an '87. I've been wondering about if the '88 and up would fit. I think you have to change the gas tank which I have. The airbox side would seem to me to match up, not sure about the exhaust side.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • StevePSD

Posted November 29, 2004 - 11:57 AM

Interesting that you mentioned that the gas tank might be different.....I am looking for a larger tank (probably a 5.0gal Clarke), however I noticed that IMS lists the 4.0gal (part #112222) XR600 tank to fit all years, but the 4.7gal (part #112219) only fits from '88 on. Clarke also shows the 5.0gal tanks to be different between 85-85 and '88 on. I assume the the sidecovers must be slightly different on the '88 & up where they meet the tank?

-steve

• roosterk0031

Posted November 30, 2004 - 07:30 AM

88 & newer side covers extend to the gas tank farther, I've mounted new tank seat and side covers to my 87, tank rubber strap is different. I extended mine using a heavy zip tie to reach the mount on the tank. One of the 2 seat bolt's doesn't line up either, could be made to work easily with a little cutting a welding. I didn't do it the seat hole just bypasses the tab for pinches it from the side, works fine for me. Side covers fit up fine. David

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.