Coolant Leak from water pump!

12 replies to this topic
  • Gadsen

Posted November 28, 2004 - 08:33 PM

OK, went for a ride today in the GPNF, man was it cold. No leaks at all, brand new 04 WR450F, started it up, as its warming, I get a small gusher of coolant. Figured my day was done before it even started. Well, that was about the end of the leak. Never leaked again. After washing it all down, started it up to clear water from the bike etc, and some small dribble of the factory green coolant. The bike only had 80 miles on it before the ride, now about 110. How common is this. I know its the water pump seal, but only 80 easy miles on it?

• 3boyz3dogz

Posted November 28, 2004 - 10:03 PM

The leak is really common. I read from this forum, if you let the bike sit and idle, it's going to overflow. I bought a high flow water pump from Boysen, that solved the problem. It cost about $180.00. I'm assuming the coolant was coming from the overflow tubes...

• Gadsen

Posted November 29, 2004 - 07:57 AM

No, it was coming from the water pump. It was real cold, I know everything had "shrunk", both seal and engien parts. :cry: And as soon as it warmed up, it swelled, the the pressure from the cooling system push the seal tight and it stopped. As it cooled, no trouble, started it in the garage to dry it all out after washing and it dribbled again until it was warm. I'm going online to order the seal and whaever else i need online (I have to get all my parts online as all Yamaha dealers are closed on my days off) and now that the riding season is about done for the most part, this will be a good time to get it rectified before the next ride anyway. Any input as to what to look for or helpful tips? I'm sure I'll have no trouble, but a tip from those who have done it already would help. Its on 04 450F :cry:

• ncmountainman

Posted November 29, 2004 - 08:25 AM

maybe you shoulda put in that pink toyotie coolant !! :cry: no its cold here (it was 28 when i started mine the other day) and i've never had it happen? mybe its a bad seal to start with. :cry:

• banffboy

Posted November 29, 2004 - 10:29 AM

maybe check the impellar shaft seal while your at it. I had this go on mine, thought it was the the water pump seal, had to replace both

• Gadsen

Posted November 29, 2004 - 10:58 AM

maybe you shoulda put in that pink toyotie coolant !! :cry: no its cold here (it was 28 when i started mine the other day) and i've never had it happen? mybe its a bad seal to start with. :cry:

LOL, hey NCMM, you know I will replace it with the cool pink stuff. I was going to drain and just refill it, but now I have a good excuse to do it. :cry:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gadsen

Posted November 29, 2004 - 11:00 AM

maybe check the impellar shaft seal while your at it. I had this go on mine, thought it was the the water pump seal, had to replace both

I was looking at the parts breakdown at http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/ and didnt see any seal except for an oil seal keeping coolant out of the crankcase/gearbox and then just the cover o-ring. Part #4 and #5 are both called oil seal? Help me out here. I'm goin gto oder the stuff, but want to order everythign I may need.

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 29, 2004 - 01:44 PM

I am on my 5th impellar shaft and water oil seals. Yamaha has a design flaw. They should have put a grease zerk in for us to shoot some lithium grease into the center of the water seal. Either that or put a real teflon type bushing water seal. :cry:

• Gadsen

Posted November 29, 2004 - 02:53 PM

Indy, when this seal of your fails, does it leak coolant into the gearbox/crankcase? And if it does, how do you know its failed? My bike has only 90 miles now, I did find the leak (and yes ncmountainman, I did swap over to the pink coolant) it was coming from the hose on the top of the radiator on the RH side of the bike. I'm fortunate so far, but have heard of others mentioning this water pump seal. I need to have a "heads up" and know what I need to look for. :cry: Thanks.

Rick

• ncmountainman

Posted November 29, 2004 - 03:00 PM

maybe you can get shirley muldowney as a sponsor :cry:

• Gadsen

Posted November 29, 2004 - 03:17 PM

maybe you can get shirley muldowney as a sponsor :cry:

:cry: LOL, I get it! Hey, when I go down, I wont be able to hide it, they'll see the pink coolant and know it had to be me! Besides, the green stuff looked like Kawasaki's "flo green" anyway! :cry:

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 29, 2004 - 03:21 PM

No if the impellar shaft seal leaks then the coolant goes out the weep hole on the bottom of the engine and cant get into the oil side of the engine. I ride every weekend and I seem to have to replace it every 4 or 5 months. Your leak with such low mileage may be something else. :cry:

• Gadsen

Posted November 29, 2004 - 06:46 PM

Thanks Indy, that makes lots of sense. I didnt see any weephole, but I have a full skidplate on it. Its all clear now and I may just order a spare seal on my next order just in case, along with a pair of fork seals too! Thank you very much! :cry:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.