Bad talk about the XR650R

113 replies to this topic
  • PowerCell

Posted August 25, 2005 - 01:03 PM

Hey Qadsan -

I'm pretty sure the NHTSA only oversees vehicles that where originally intended and registered as street legal.

• Husky_Forever

Posted August 26, 2005 - 08:37 AM

Qadsan,

No I didn't since they only take reports about street legal vehicles. I'd thought about Better Business Bureau and also the lemon law, but didn't. The PC fix came out about 9 months later. With it you right, the footpeg would be solved. Too bad the dealers don't just sell the bike with it already installed. Oops! That would mean they know it will break. At the time, I wanted to drill out my frame like JC did and just thread a bolt and put a nut on the end. But I had the warranty and Honda said if I did that it would void my frame warranty. So I sold the PIG and bought an 95 Kawi KLX 650 that was street legal like my PIG had been. It has over 2500+ miles on it and no footpeg issues or anything else for that matter. :D Steny

• qadsan

Posted August 26, 2005 - 10:56 AM

Hey Qadsan -

I'm pretty sure the NHTSA only oversees vehicles that where originally intended and registered as street legal.

I believe you're technically right about this, but...there are complaints filed in their system for off road bikes / atv's and I would hope they would be looked at and acted upon.

Here's the link for people to file their complaints online...
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Speaking of the XR650R, there's one compaint registered in their system for the XR650R and that's it from what I could find! If everyone who had their right foot peg break off filed a complaint with the NHTSA, then Hoinda would have taken this more seriously. The NHTSA brings visibility to serious problems, and manufacturers are held accountable to another agency that has the power to make things happen.

Report Date : August 26, 2005 at 01:50 PM
SEARCH TYPE : VEHICLE
YEAR : 2000
Make : HONDA
Model : XR650R
Type : ANY
Make : HONDA Model : XR650R Year : 2000
Manufacturer : HONDA (AMERICAN HONDA MOTOR CO.)
Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 1
ODI ID Number : 764833 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: May 5, 2002
VIN : JH2ME0507YK...
Component: STEERING:WHEEL AND HANDLE BAR

Here's some examples of complaints on Yamaha Grizzly's...

Make : YAMAHA Model : GRIZZLY Year : 2003
Manufacturer : YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA
Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
ODI ID Number : 10053876 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure:
VIN : JY4AM02Y02C...
Component: FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE:STORAGE:TANK ASSEMBLY

Make : YAMAHA Model : GRIZZLY Year : 2003
Manufacturer : YAMAHA MOTOR CORPORATION, USA
Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
ODI ID Number : 10111862 Number of Deaths: 0
Date of Failure: February 20, 2005
VIN : JY4AM03Y13C...
Component: POWER TRAIN:DRIVELINE:CONSTANT VELOCITY JOINT

And here's an example of a detailed report on a Yamaha Grizzly...
http://199.79.180.16...053876-5663.pdf

I decided to call the NHTSA and the CPSC to find out which agency is the right place to file a complaint with. I placed several calls to each agency and spoke to different people and guess what? I got different answers depending on who I talked to. Most of the people I spoke to at the NHTSA told me they were not the right agency to file a complaint with for dirt bikes / ATV, but one said they were the right place as long as it was safety related...no matter the vehicle type or use. When I called the CPSC, I also got answers on both sides of the fence and one of the people I spoke to never ever heard of a dirt bike and insisted the NHTSA was the right place for all motorcycles, but the consensus there was that the CPSC was the right place to file a complaint for dirt bikes / atv's.

After doing some more investigation of my own, I used the search mechanism on the CPSC web site and found various recalls for off road motorcycles, which makes me think more than ever than the CPSC is the right place, but I'd still recommend filing a complaint with the NHTSA because it won't hurt anything and may bring more visibility to issues like this. Here's some links to off road motorcycle recalls from the CPSC, but there's plenty more if you want to search for yourself...

http://www.cpsc.gov/...ml02/02505.html
http://www.cpsc.gov/...ml01/01038.html
http://www.cpsc.gov/...ml01/01037.html
http://www.cpsc.gov/...ml05/05563.html
http://www.cpsc.gov/...ml01/01065.html
http://www.cpsc.gov/...ml05/05524.html
http://www.cpsc.gov/...ml03/03512.html
http://www.cpsc.gov/...ml05/05157.html

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is probably the correct agency to file a complaint with, but it couldn't hurt to file at both places.

Here's the phone number to the CPSC: 1-800-638-2772
Here's the link to the CPSC: http://www.cpsc.gov/...b/pubs/178.html

• Carlisle1972

Posted September 03, 2005 - 01:02 PM

I used to spend a lot of time in here I had a 01 650 R loved it. It was a great bike I bought it for its reliability but after riding many friends 2 stroke 300's and 250's yes they were orange. I had to buy one because I wasnt racing Baja but was a Fast B slow A rider and to me those are just about as reliable as any XR and for me a 175 pound rider more fun to ride. I miss the 650 when I sold it I about cried but I have never been happier with any bike than I am with my KTM's 01 300 exc and 05 250 exc and the difference in my 01 to 05 is huge they have done so many things I would be typing for hours One thing to think about is the 05's are about 12 pounds lighter than the 01's thats huge and thats trying to make a better bike. My 05 250 exc is 224 pounds! Honda seems to semi retire after they come out with a new bike they lost me becuase of lack of inovation. I had a xr 80, xr 200 xr 250 xr 350 xr 500 xr 400 xr 650 and now Im on KTMs and Im very happy with the new family. (I hope to see honda back in the market like they used to be. You used to go to Utah or the Mountains and see all XR's everywhere I ride several times a week and the last one I saw was about three weeks ago thats too bad. Just my .02

• CFAmD7G

Posted March 16, 2006 - 12:25 PM

Who says the XR650R has not changed since inception? Why every year they come out with "BOLD NEW GRAPHICS"!!!!!

• Jayzonk

Posted March 16, 2006 - 10:35 PM

...if ya step back and look at the big picture:right now it looks like an orange sunrise, with blue skies, and a red sunset. Sad but true.

So who is the "blue skies"? Husqvarna? Husaberg? With Husaberg's blue and yellow paint, it looks like you get the sun at high noon and the blue sky all rolled into one. Hell, I should buy one and paint clouds on it! But I'd rather by an XR and paint the tank like a Japanese Zero.

I think there's a little irony here - Honda doesn't change the XR650R, but it keeps winning anyway, even though KTM, BMW, and Husqvarna (out of nowhere) are throwing millions at their bikes to get them to compete. And throwing v-twins into the mix, of all things. For such great engineers, you'd think they'd know that a v-twin would be too heavy for Baja.

Now, I know you want to start talking about how an XR is modified for racing, but let's face it...that motor runs pretty much stock out of the gate, except the carb mods. The other mods are suspension, handlebars, stabilizers, etc - everyone adds those, no matter what bike you run. So really, this whole thing is an engine race, and Honda keeps winning. Smart, so smart that they are ahead of the competition by ten years.

But I like Mike's tortoise-and-the-hair story anyway. Honda could rest on its laurels a little too long with this one, and lose its predominance.

You know what? I still just can't go out there and pick the right bike and say, "Yep, that's the one. That's the one that's going to make me happier than owning a 650R. That's the one that I can depend on for sure." For some reason, all the other brands seem like a gamble.

• Jayzonk

Posted March 16, 2006 - 10:48 PM

Okay, I just lied. I just went to www.xr650R.net and discovered that Campbell's bike had different gearing for the 45-60mph bracket, plus a compression increase by one point.

• BIGGITY

Posted March 17, 2006 - 06:46 AM

Baja 250 in San Felipe 2006. 2 XR650R's in the front leading the 3rd bike by 45 minutes.

enough said...

((and yes I know your going to say Honda cheated (Childress) and they got DQ'd but Bell didn't and he was on a Piggy!))

And I watched them both go by mile 210 side by side and they were going WAY faster than any other bike I saw that day. Nobody even came close.

Go Piggies! :thumbsup:

• Koko Azuela

Posted March 17, 2006 - 11:38 AM

Baja 250 in San Felipe 2006. 2 XR650R's in the front leading the 3rd bike by 45 minutes.

enough said...

((and yes I know your going to say Honda cheated (Childress) and they got DQ'd but Bell didn't and he was on a Piggy!))

And I watched them both go by mile 210 side by side and they were going WAY faster than any other bike I saw that day. Nobody even came close.

Go Piggies! :thumbsup:

Correction, Kendall Norman and Robby Bell raced a CRF450 not a XR650R, KTM didn't race, that's why nobody was close!! :thumbsup:

• BIGGITY

Posted March 17, 2006 - 12:43 PM

You are correct sir, last year they ran a 650R...

American Honda's Robby Bell, Murrieta, Calif./Kendall Norman, Santa Barbara, Calif., won the Class 22 and overall motorcycle title on their four-stroke Honda CRF450X when apparent winners Steve Hengeveld, Oak Hills, Calif./Mike Childress, Wrightwood, Calif., the other factory Honda team, were disqualified after the race by SCORE officials for deviating from the course. The Bell/Norman team covered the course in 4:19:36, averaging 55.55mph.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • uncleroby

Posted April 05, 2006 - 03:30 AM

You know what? I still just can't go out there and pick the right bike and say, "Yep, that's the one. That's the one that's going to make me happier than owning a 650R. That's the one that I can depend on for sure." For some reason, all the other brands seem like a gamble.

I cannot help but feel the same even if I would like to get something lighter to ride in the tight trails.

Uncleroby

• KASUYAHO

Posted April 05, 2006 - 06:06 AM

LC4 is realiable...........
Not from what i have seen, As BWB said the safari they were blowing up every where, and it was the toughest safari on record, some of the bikes that blow were 660 ralies, factory preped bikes.
There was one day that did it and it was around the middle of the race and the leaders were on the gas trying to make the break.
They vibrate big time and i think if they make them 700's it will only make there realiablity worse.
There just a throw away bike really

• BAJAHUSKYS

Posted April 05, 2006 - 06:30 AM

SF 250, 2006, 1st was a CRF 450X after the XR 650 team was DQ'd for short coursing. 2nd in Class 22 was an XR 650. #rd in Class was an 06 Husqvarna TE 510 raced by Baja Huskys members Alfredo Contreras and team. Alfredo and team raced a CRF 250X last year with Tim Morton to take first place in Class 21 Pro (250cc class), winning all three races in Baja.

Lets see how the Husky does at the 500?

BTW, the factory Honda XR 650s admit they run "other than stock engines". As for cheating, well the new rally loggers everyone use3s will end that until someone develops a way to alter the gps mapping in them prior to the finish. The "American Way" as they say.

The reason you see so many Honda's (XR 650) in Baja racing?

1) They are the only one to offer the privateer factory support for a price.
2) The XR 650 is a good Baja bike, even with the right hand footpeg issues.
3) The price of the XR 650 is still way below the competition for an open bike.
4) Its the only open bike I know of right now that you can get an aftermarket 7.2 gallon fuel tank for (IMS). For long distant Baja or desert trips.

No manufactures, read that Husqvarna, KTM, Husaberg, BMW, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawasaki, etc offers pit support from the factory to privateers racing Baja or BITD races. Baja Huskys, a private Husqvarna Race Team with limited support from Husqvarna USA,(not sponsored) has started offering pit support for Husqvarnas in Score this year, but only one team has taken them up on their support to date.

Until either more Huskys make a presence in Baja and BITD or those above manufactures step up to the support Honda and before that Kawasaki gives privateers, you will always see more Honda's racing than any other bike brand.
Doesn't make them the 'best' bike, just the most affordable to race with all the race support out there.

Cheating or short coursing in my opinion only, is for racers and teams that " have to win at all costs", no matter what rules are broken :thumbsup: . For the rest of us, we just ride the course and hope to do as good as possible. Isn't that what racing is all about? :thumbsup: Steny

• huntmaster

Posted April 05, 2006 - 11:45 AM

The reason you see so many Honda's (XR 650) in Baja racing?
1) They are the only one to offer the privateer factory support for a price.
2) The XR 650 is a good Baja bike, even with the right hand footpeg issues.
3) The price of the XR 650 is still way below the competition for an open bike.
4) Its the only open bike I know of right now that you can get an aftermarket 7.2 gallon fuel tank for (IMS). For long distant Baja or desert trips.

All those reasons... and the small matter of not having to chose between going 100 mph all day OR finishing the race! :thumbsup:

• BAJAHUSKYS

Posted April 05, 2006 - 04:35 PM

All open bikes will do 100 mph+ with Baja gearing. :thumbsup: Just not that many places left to do that in, on the present day race courses down there. EXCEPT for the long Baja 1000 to La Paz. :thumbsup:

• RingKingPin

Posted April 06, 2006 - 06:59 AM

It's the most durable bike out there.

• huntmaster

Posted April 06, 2006 - 01:22 PM

All open bikes will do 100 mph+ with Baja gearing. :

Sure. But the operative part of that quote was about doing 100 mph all day AND not puking it's guts out across the desert floor! That narrows the list considerably.

• BigBoreRacing

Posted April 06, 2006 - 06:14 PM

[COLOR=Red] It blows me away to hear people bagging on and leaving Honda and the BRP because its such an AWESOME/DURABLE bike that there is no reason to fix it for a few years :thumbsup:

LONG LIVE HONDA AND THE BRP!!! :thumbsup: [/COLOR]

• XR_mad

Posted April 07, 2006 - 06:42 AM

even if it has its faults its nice to have it there to look at :thumbsup: such a beautiful peice of engineering

• BAJAHUSKYS

Posted April 07, 2006 - 08:44 AM

What desert or cross country race does 100mph all day long?

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.